Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. I have no idea how she will handle things should she move up and shit takes months to get settled.

Not really, the fight was this weekend and Hansen was only offered it a few days ago. My guess is that Mathie's management were happy with a late replacement with a 1-3 record, then they watched some film and decided it was a bad idea.

Not really, the fight was this weekend and Hansen was only offered it a few days ago. My guess is that Mathie's management were happy with a late replacement with a 1-3 record, then they watched some film and decided it was a bad idea.

I was not clear. I mean as she moves up in the rankings and winds up with higher and higher profile fights (assuming she moves up) everything takes longer and gets fucked up more often. So she should start getting used to it now.

Sort of like when a kid complains about how complicated high school is.

I was not clear. I mean as she moves up in the rankings and winds up with higher and higher profile fights (assuming she moves up) everything takes longer and gets fucked up more often. So she should start getting used to it now.

Sort of like when a kid complains about how complicated high school is.

For sure, but this is a particular case and should be judged as such, it's not evidence that she'd have any problem with delays in negotiating fights further up the payscales.

Hansen agreed to come in as a very late replacement - a week ago - against a fighter with a full camp who agreed to the matchup scheduled for this weekend. Then her opponent's team had second thoughts, anyone would be pissed, especially as her opponent then tried to blame Kay.

Ann Annak has only had one amateur MMA fight so far (which she won), but this high school student may be one with a good MMA future as she already has a Muay Thai championship belt of some kind, has been training to fight since she was 3 years old, and she has a rather unique strike with her knees that she uses very effectively.

From Lawrence Kenshin's notes:

"Supergirl (Anna) has been making waves on social media due to her ridiculously long range spear knees. With 40 fights under her belt and a transition into MMA, she is one to watch out for in the next few years. She's having a illustrious career while being in high school: Supergirl is only 16! Her teammate, Wondergirl, is a reality TV star for MMA, coached by Master Thong of Team Alpha male. They've been choking out their competition with guillotines..."

"In this video, I feature a bit about Supergirl and what makes her knee variants effective. The knee stab is traditionally used in the clinch to steal points. But Jaroonsak and his team has made this attack into a punishing offense, to the point where Supergirl is finishing many of her opponents with it. Quite neat."

Beautiful Fighter: 16 Year Old Muay Thai Phenom | Super Girl
Lawrence Kenshin
Published on Feb 4, 2019

Last edited:
Alexandra Ballou vs Sara Payant off Bellator 216 this Saturday. Apparently it’s been of for a while, but Tapology just updated today:

Nice vid on Ann Annak. She looks like an AW (maybe SW?). Her knees are awesome! Sometimes it just takes one technique to flip this sport on its head; maybe these "spear knees" are the next such technique. Everyone kind of learns the same techniques, and their counters/defenses, the same way. But, when something new and innovative comes along, there is a time lag for fighters to catch up. Perhaps "Supergirl" and her spear knees will be the next "evolution" in WMMA.

Jarl

A few things of note:

• I will be doing a podcast with Serena Southpaw previewing Invicta plus will cover the rest of the weekend action/news. Will get you a link when it's posted tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ann Annak has only had one amateur MMA fight so far (which she won), but this high school student may be one with a good MMA future as she already has a Muay Thai championship belt of some kind, has been training to fight since she was 3 years old, and she has a rather unique strike with her knees that she uses very effectively.

From Lawrence Kenshin's notes:

"Supergirl (Anna) has been making waves on social media due to her ridiculously long range spear knees. With 40 fights under her belt and a transition into MMA, she is one to watch out for in the next few years. She's having a illustrious career while being in high school: Supergirl is only 16! Her teammate, Wondergirl, is a reality TV star for MMA, coached by Master Thong of Team Alpha male. They've been choking out their competition with guillotines..."

"In this video, I feature a bit about Supergirl and what makes her knee variants effective. The knee stab is traditionally used in the clinch to steal points. But Jaroonsak and his team has made this attack into a punishing offense, to the point where Supergirl is finishing many of her opponents with it. Quite neat."

Beautiful Fighter: 16 Year Old Muay Thai Phenom | Super Girl
Lawrence Kenshin
Published on Feb 4, 2019

Recently saw another breakdown video about Supergirl's funky knee technique.

She's already fighting good adult pros on television and at national events. She likes to start fast with a jab/cross punching style that is unusual amongst Thai lady fighters. Her sister fights very much the same. Supergirl seems like the faster & more durable athlete between the two sisters, but both are fun action fighters.

Supergirl is actually 1-1 in mma though. Her and another girl from her gym both lost to some 17 year old from Raw Bjj/Lion Martial Arts. Despite the guillotine win, Supergirl's grappling (and her sister's grappling) is somewhere between dreadful & nonexistent. They have started going to the Emac gym where Suwanan Boonsorn trains, so at least they are self aware.

Last edited:
Invicta note: the first four fights will be free to view on Facebook.

I hate when they do this. I don’t have or want a Facebook account, and , last I checked, the last fights they had on Facebook don’t exist as far as Fightpass is concerned.

I hate when they do this. I don’t have or want a Facebook account, and , last I checked, the last fights they had on Facebook don’t exist as far as Fightpass is concerned.

I'm with you in regards to Facebook, however it seems the first four bouts will be on Fight Pass

That's an old school Lamnammoon style knee, back when the clinch game in Muay Thai was more open and less prone to stalling out like it often does today. Could be very fun in MMA where clinch defence is still pretty questionable and fighters not named Joanna, Loma, or Shevchenko haven't figured out how to use bodylocks and positioning to stop knees.

Lamnammoon lands a couple of Supergirl knees in this brutal sequence of knee strikes.
There's a reason he was known as "The Vampire of Knees"

On a sidenote, it seems like WMMA is where traditional Muay Thai is getting introduced to MMA. We have Joanna, Loma, and the Shevchenko sisters who are all world champions moving over to MMA and having success. Be interesting to see if this trend continues and more women cross over from MT to MMA.

Can someone explain to me how in the hell it is possible to miss the Featherweight limit
of 146 lbs by 10.3 lbs since Helena Kolesnyk managed that at Invicta weigh ins canceling
her fight with Faith McMah.

Can someone explain to me how in the hell it is possible to miss the Featherweight limit
of 146 lbs by 10.3 lbs since Helena Kolesnyk managed that at Invicta weigh ins canceling

She's been living and training in America so maybe she found out what food tasted like again after fleeing Europe's only failed state and got a bit carried away.

Either that or with all the recent big misses, she thought she'd go for the record and get her name carved in stone for all time.

Either that or she thought that there was too much chance she might actually win her Invicta fight for once so decided to self sabotage...

I guess that covers all the bases.... (inb4 'I was on my period')

I'm with you in regards to Facebook, however it seems the first four bouts will be on Fight Pass

Thanks! Looks like I’m going to have to make sure I catch a nap after work tomorrow (going in for 3 am :eek:).

That's an old school Lamnammoon style knee, back when the clinch game in Muay Thai was more open and less prone to stalling out like it often does today. Could be very fun in MMA where clinch defence is still pretty questionable and fighters not named Joanna, Loma, or Shevchenko haven't figured out how to use bodylocks and positioning to stop knees.

Lamnammoon lands a couple of Supergirl knees in this brutal sequence of knee strikes.
There's a reason he was known as "The Vampire of Knees"

On a sidenote, it seems like WMMA is where traditional Muay Thai is getting introduced to MMA. We have Joanna, Loma, and the Shevchenko sisters who are all world champions moving over to MMA and having success. Be interesting to see if this trend continues and more women cross over from MT to MMA.

It really is the only place for women to learn decent striking. Women's boxing is horrible, and most traditional martial arts are not exactly stellar when it comes to teaching women's striking.

She's been living and training in America so maybe she found out what food tasted like again after fleeing Europe's only failed state and got a bit carried away.

Either that or with all the recent big misses, she thought she'd go for the record and get her name carved in stone for all time.

Either that or she thought that there was too much chance she might actually win her Invicta fight for once so decided to self sabotage...

In some of the out of camp pictures she appears bigger than Kayla Harrison, with none of it being muscle.

It’s because I dared to pick her to win.

In some of the out of camp pictures she appears bigger than Kayla Harrison, with none of it being muscle.

In the Invic,ta publicity photos yesterday, I noticed she was not looking fit.

Out of curiosity, do you have a source?

Status
Not open for further replies.