Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be in the minority, but I've never felt like a fighter should have to call out contenders or the champion to be relevant. I'd much rather see in cage performance determine title shots. I fully realize that's not how the sport, and particularly the UFC work, but I don't have to like it. Can you imagine a dominant fighter with the personality of Hannah Cifers? I don't think she could be assertive in an interview if there was a million dollars in it for her.

Sure, but then we look at Carla's last few performances and none of them were impressive. She hasn't beaten a single contender and her best win is a split decision over Waterson in a snoozer of a fight. I mean, every title contender who's fought Waterson has demolished or completely outclassed her, even super gatekeeper Tecia won a solid decision. Carla barely squeaks out a win in a completely forgettable fight, then goes on to win a split against Marina where she gets the shit kicked out of her. And before that was another close fight with Grasso where once again she got the shit beat out of her and barely scraped by with a win. These are not contender-like performances, contenders like Suarez, Rose, or Joanna blow right through fighters of this level and straight up dumpster them.

And while I'm not the biggest fan of call outs and cutting promos, it's long been a part of the game much like scoring a late takedown to win rounds on the judges' scorecards. It may be BS, but it's a well known part of the game.

Lots of action this weekend. Here's my picks.

[BOXING] Terri Harper vs. Natasha Jonas - Harper
[MMA] Bellator Valerie Loureda vs. Tara Graff - Loureda
[MMA] Brave Malin Hermansson vs. Elin Öberg - Hermansson
[MMA] UFC Fight Night Yana Kunitskaya vs. Julija Stoliarenko - Kunitskaya
[MMA/KICKBOXING] RIZIN Ayaka Hamasaki vs. Tomo Maesawa - Hamasaki
Kanna Asakura vs. Mizuki Furuse - Asakura

Stoliarenko last had that bloody war versus Lisa Versoza for Invicta (Julija won via split decision). Prior to that she won four in a row all via armbar. Yana beat Lansberg & Reneau prior to her loss against Aspen Ladd. She seems to keep improving and isn't afraid of a good scrap.

Interested in anyone's thoughts / insights on these fights!
Mma math says Yana> lansberg> Chiasson> > >Stoliarenko.
Stoliarenko followed that up by getting outstruck by Leah.
Like a said I think she's improved crushing cans back home and won that banger in Invicta but yana not gonna brawl I'd expect her to use rang and clinches to a comfortable ud, don't think yana is bad enough to be caught in an armbar either.

No one says fighters HAVE to call out anyone. The thing is it is in their own best interests to do so. Whatever generates interests in their fights is good fr their careers.

Here's the thing you can be the greatest fighter in the world but if no one cares about your fights you'll never be able to reap the rewards of your hardwork. Look at Mighty Mouse P4P but nobody wanted to actually see him fight. He was headlining fight nights with means he didn't a cut of the PPV revenue like other champions did.
The UFC's mishandling of Demetrius Johnson has always been a sore point for me. "He can't draw!" Y'know, it might help if Dana White didn't take every opportunity to verbally shit on him. When the face of the company constantly tells people that a fighter isn't fun to watch, how does that help him draw the interest of casual fans, who are the ones who really drive the big numbers? It's long been my opinion that the UFC absolutely sucks at promoting fighters. If the fighter himself (or herself) doesn't do the heavy lifting in promotion, the promoter seems to be pretty clueless.
Edited to add: This post might be a little off-topic for this thread, but I think it applies to a lot of female fighters, and their divisions, as well. Nunes and Shevchenko should be bigger draws than they are, and I believe they would be if the UFC promotional department had a clue.

Can you imagine a dominant fighter with the personality of Hannah Cifers? I don't think she could be assertive in an interview if there was a million dollars in it for her.

You're right but funnily enough Hannah's diffidence makes her stand out. Maybe that's why she's been on two numbered cards and got re-signed when being cut looked much more likely.

The UFC is certainly bad at building names and it isn't helped by a mostiy uninspiring mma media. Of course performance in the cage should count above all, but that aside it's down to the fighters themselves to create interest, the braggart, the thot, the air-head, the cackling witch. The fans can help as well by getting their stories out there.

When it comes to publicity maybe that $1000 dollar sundae was worth it after all.

I'm genuinely interested in Shevchenko vs. Maia. I don't think Val will "murder" Jennifer like some do.
-----

An all-female event is to take place in Spain in October. It was initially scheduled for earlier this year but was ultimately postponed due to COVID.

It's looking like both Arlene Blencowe and Erin Blanchfield might be getting title shots. Hopefully I am wrong about Erin. She is rising but she is not ready for Porto yet. This is where I usually part ways with Invicta. Anytime a prospect shows promise they are fed to the champ and get beat down. This happened way too often when Sarah Kaufman was in Invicta. It would suck for Erin's progress to be stunted by an early title shot.

I missed this when it was originally posted, but Korean promotion Angels’ Fighting Championship is planning an all women’s card for November 30th. They’re an interesting promotion. Mix of mma and kickboxing in cage, but what they’re most known for is their dedication to charity, with something like 10%-15% of proceeds from every event going to charity. Seems they provide meals for VIP ticket holders, as well.

Also, a ladies fight announced for their next event August 17th:

Jae Choi (2-4) vs. Eun Bi “Libby” Cho (0-2) Jae Choi started out with Korean Top Team, but it seems she is now with Korean Zombie mma. Libby Cho is well known in BJJ circles in South Korea (way bigger than the mma scene), and provides commentary for a lot of BJJ and grappling matches in Korea. Not sure what weight this will be at. Both belong at atomweight, but last fought at strawweight

https://cagesidepress.com/2020/08/07/julia-budd-vs-jessy-miele-set-bellator-244-co-main-event/

Jessy Miele is about to get murdered by Julia Budd. Zingano and Blencowe remain the favorites to get a title shot next.

Also, I also believe Valentina won't murder Jennifer. 1. She won't be at a 100% by November. 2. Just like Liz, Jennifer has skills and can be tricky to figure out, I think Valentina will play it overly safe again. Unless Maia goes balls to the wall trying to brawl, she'll likely lose a decision.

Last edited:
It's looking like both Arlene Blencowe and Erin Blanchfield might be getting title shots. Hopefully I am wrong about Erin. She is rising but she is not ready for Porto yet. This is where I usually part ways with Invicta. Anytime a prospect shows promise they are fed to the champ and get beat down. This happened way too often when Sarah Kaufman was in Invicta. It would suck for Erin's progress to be stunted by an early title shot.

May as well just get her the Invicta title shot before Dana comes and rips her away for a late replacement UFC fight.

Classic Lithuania vs Russia battle, Joe

I'll be rooting for Julija but I expect Yana to win. Short notice might be an issue for Stolichnaya...

Yana has been armbarred by regional cans before... sorry, I meant the GOAT of Circassian WMMA Dyshekova, not some can after all...

Well...
Thrash talking?

ConcernedGrimyAkitainu-small.gif

I like Exodus and Testament. U?

She needs a PR person to beat it into her head that she's interviewing for a title shot, and not just talking to an MMA reporter.

1TrQ.gif

This could be my chance to move into some of Ali's turf.

let's see my notes:

-> Address audience as 'out of shape Sherdog sweathogs'
-> Claim to be the sexiest man/woman alive
-> Call out champ (point at camera for emphasis), tell them they're in for a 'Rude Awakening'

that should cover it?

I like Exodus and Testament. U?

The 150kg injun is indeed awesome!

But for me it's a bit more on the Annihilator (Jeff Waters is the unsung hero of thrash, really) , Anthrax (though most of the time their "genre" has been a bit debatable) and Megadeth's couple of first albums are a definite proof that envy & bitterness are virtues, not vices. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.