Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ares continuing to sign fighters. Now they just need to schedule an event.

On another note, while I am notably anti hype train, I will acknowledge a legit prospect who has shown consistent growth:

I figured out the only way that Juliana Velasquez gets a title shot and that would be when her
Bellator contract expires she signs with Invicta and gets 1 or 2 wins out of the box like Emily
Ducote did when she signed with the promotion.

Surely she and her manager would be smart enough to get her a ufc contract no need to dick around in Invicta at her level.

Hey, why didn't anyone tell me that Stoliarenko is replacing on saturdays card?!

ESe4AGwWsAAqhu2.jpg

Hopefully we see something to again please the JBG <3
I just noticed that the other day myself. Will be interesting I feel Yana is way too big a step up for Stoliarenko but she did look good wining that title. It sucks she'll be 0-2 in the ufc if she loses hopefully she gets some easy picking after that like cheesecake or belbita.

Friday August 7

[BOXING] Matchroom Boxing: Harper vs. Jonas
Brentwood, Essex, UK
Main Card – DAZN / Sky Sports – 2:00pm ET / 11:00am PT
Terri Harper vs. Natasha Jonas

[MMA] Bellator 243: Chandler vs. Henderson 2
Uncasville, Connecticut, USA
Main Card – Paramount Network / DAZN – 10:00pm ET / 7:00pm PT
Preliminary Card – YouTube / DAZN – 6:45pm ET / 3:45pm PT
Valerie Loureda vs. Tara Graff

Saturday August 8

[MMA] Brave CF 38
Stockholm, Sweden
Main Card – iPPV (Fite.tv) / BraveCFTV.com – 12:00pm ET / 9:00am PT
Malin Hermansson vs. Elin Öberg

[MMA] UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Oleinik
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Main Card – ESPN+ (US) / UFC Fight Pass – 9:00pm ET / 6:00pm PT
Yana Kunitskaya vs. Julija Stoliarenko
Preliminary Card – ESPN+ (US) / UFC Fight Pass – 6:00pm ET / 3:00pm PT

Sunday August 9

[MMA/KICKBOXING] RIZIN.22
Yokohama, Japan
International Broadcast TBD
Main Card -SKY PerfecTV! PPV – 1:00am ET / 10:00pm PT
Ayaka Hamasaki vs. Tomo Maesawa
Kanna Asakura vs. Mizuki Furuse

https://grabakahitman.wordpress.com

I get the impression that Stoliarenko might be a little bit crazy, thinks head butts are fun and prefers bare knuckles to gloves. Does she actually enjoy getting punched? Anyway I'm taking her to armbar Yana.

So welcome to the third Lithuanian on the female roster alongside Rose and Roxy. Of course there may be more, America's ethnic diversity always throws up surprises; I thought Erin Blanchfield was as Irish as the NYPD pipe band but turns out she's part Puerto Rican ...... when is she going on UFC Espanol?

Finally just because its quiet and definitely no homo, Miranda Maverick seems to have won the wmma's hot boyfriend award. What a lovely couple.

[MMA] Brave CF 38
Stockholm, Sweden

Hey, cool. That's a free show, thanks a bunch again for your summaries of cards with ladyfights, would have missed this one!

Finally just because its quiet and definitely no homo, Miranda Maverick seems to have won the wmma's hot boyfriend award.

I have to admit that I kinda stopped to appreciate the handsome chap while scrolling downwards, before finding out what the post was about (no (much) homo)

Hey, cool. That's a free show, thanks a bunch again for your summaries of cards with ladyfights, would have missed this one!

Hey you're welcome. International mma appeals to my interest in places & cultures. Glad seeing some events getting more up and running. The fighting spirit lives on!

The hate and butt hurt is real in the comments for this one:

Bagging on the decisions is off the mark, but if Carla wants to quit being a gatekeeper she can start with beating a contender for once instead of calling out a washed up Claudia for the 50th time. Joanna's healthy and unbooked right now, how about fighting her for the #1 contender spot? Or just straight up call out Zhang? Wanna be a contender? Act like one. Don't be a wuss and call out Claudia again, and try to use that to sneak your way to a title shot.

With Carla, there's a strange disconnect between her NOT wanting to rematch Joanna and willing to do anything to rematch Claudia. IMO, she beats Claudia in the rematch, but gets destroyed by Ribas.

Jarl

Everyone when they get near the top gets picky who they fight. So I don't blame Carla. There is a reason why Rose called out Waterson for a title eliminator after coming off a loss to Karolina. Rose can go weeks at a time without touching social media but when she saw an easy path to a title shot she spoke up. It is the name of the game and it worked out perfectly for her.

The hate and butt hurt is real in the comments for this one:

it's funny how bandwaggony/sheeple like MMA fans are. If the mob decides they hate you, they hate you no matter what you do, say, etc.
The best example will probably always be Ronda - I can get why ppl didn't like Ronda, and why things went sour, but she went from basically totally loved and massively highly regarded into the complete opposite overnight - and everyone pretends that they were in the latter camp all along, lol.

eg it's funny to see multiple people saying Carla sucks / is holding up the division / should make way for the up-and-coming contenders who are all 'killers' and the future of WMMA etc, seemingly oblivious to the fact that Carla just got done beating 3 of the very best of the up-and-comers (plus Michelle Waterson). Lucikly in sports if you keep getting results, you eventually get the shot you deserve, regardless of what dumb fans say...

also the 'boring fights' thing - OK I get ppl hate grappling (and again, it's funny how hatred of grappling (and of WMMA!) corresponds near perfectly with the 'douchebag troll' fan bracket), but her last 5 fights -
vs Gadelha was a war, vs Grasso another war (and FOTN), vs Rodriguez a great display of grit (that was livened up because she took unnecessary risks going for shitty footlocks), vs Jandiroba a great back and forth grappling match. OK the Waterson fight sucked, that was because of Waterson's Jackson/Wink gameplan though...
(oh OK, the Suarez fight was after the Gadelha one. I bet if you brought that fight up to the haterz though they'd say it was entertaining too, I wonder why lol...)

(another thing - considering Carla's biggest problem is size, especially now the top end of the div is filling up with full-size and strength fighters - 3 of her recentish wins are now at 125 fighting successfully there too - Moroz 2-0 at 125, Calvillo just beat the #1 contender, Grasso yet to debut but I expect her to win as well. I think that's really impressive. How bout dem mouthbreathers give Carla some of the same hespect ppl give guys like Frankie Edgar?).

It's because of stuff like this that decided to put on the righteous armor of St Carla to fight the holy war with the forces of MMA fandom evil. Fighting for justice for the unloved.
p0257.gif

Speaking of haterz.... ;)

Bagging on the decisions is off the mark, but if Carla wants to quit being a gatekeeper she can start with beating a contender for once instead of calling out a washed up Claudia for the 50th time. Joanna's healthy and unbooked right now, how about fighting her for the #1 contender spot? Or just straight up call out Zhang? Wanna be a contender? Act like one. Don't be a wuss and call out Claudia again, and try to use that to sneak your way to a title shot.

Carla said the two fights she wants most are either Claudia or a title shot, so she did exactly that.
But of course you didn't listen to the interview or even read the summary which makes it clear ;)

“Claudia Gadelha, it’s gonna happen at some point."
- i.e., not necessarily right now
'I’m tired of being that gatekeeper. I feel like I’m ready for another title shot. I feel like I’m the next fight that makes sense."
- i.e. she'd like the title fight right now.

It was clear enough that even the dum-dums at Middle Easy could understand:
'Carla Esparza Still Has Title Aspirations, Wants Weili Zhang Next'

Speaking of picking fights though. Joanna's coach said she only wants title fights or 'money fights' now (besides, she also said she can't even train right now). No point calling her out then. But shouldn't Joanna (2-4 in her last 6) be earning that title shot? Is she afraid to fight contenders lest she lose her privileged spot for good? I think she might be ducking Carla. She's put on weight in her chest area; when she gets taken down now she might find it harder to get back up #ducking #scurred ;)

Carla also said she would 'welcome' a Ribas fight, so I don't think she can't be said to be getting picky either @Rizz. That's the kind of fight that can make your title shot you have firmly in your grip disappear for good, despite all your hard work, in an instant. I'd have rather she said she wasn't interested in that fight, TBH (& I think it's quite likely the UFC will actually book it), for similar reasons you suggest. But as Carla said before (when she was booked vs Suarez), she doesn't turn down fights...
(Incidentally, @leto1776 's avbae Grasso said exactly the same thing when she was asked to fight Suarez even though her team told her not to take it. All hail the no-ducking heros, real fighters ;) )

it's funny how bandwaggony/sheeple like MMA fans are. If the mob decides they hate you, they hate you no matter what you do, say, etc.
The best example will probably always be Ronda - I can get why ppl didn't like Ronda, and why things went sour, but she went from basically totally loved and massively highly regarded into the complete opposite overnight - and everyone pretends that they were in the latter camp all along, lol.

Well...

Thrash talking?

Total disrespect for Miesha Tate? Do you want me to insert that classic image?
Besides that, just look how she behaved after losing to Holm. Not doing interviews, closing herself. Just imagine how would she behaved had she beat Nunes...

Anyway, about Carla, i agree in everything. Her size is quite an issue. Also, let's be fair. She really wants to avenge that Gadelha loss and she also really needs to step up since she's definitely more than a gatekeeper.

Carla said the two fights she wants most are either Claudia or a title shot, so she did exactly that.
But of course you didn't listen to the interview or even read the summary which makes it clear ;)

“Claudia Gadelha, it’s gonna happen at some point."
- i.e., not necessarily right now
'I’m tired of being that gatekeeper. I feel like I’m ready for another title shot. I feel like I’m the next fight that makes sense."
- i.e. she'd like the title fight right now.

It was clear enough that even the dum-dums at Middle Easy could understand:
'Carla Esparza Still Has Title Aspirations, Wants Weili Zhang Next'

Speaking of picking fights though. Joanna's coach said she only wants title fights or 'money fights' now (besides, she also said she can't even train right now). No point calling her out then. But shouldn't Joanna (2-4 in her last 6) be earning that title shot? Is she afraid to fight contenders lest she lose her privileged spot for good? I think she might be ducking Carla. She's put on weight in her chest area; when she gets taken down now she might find it harder to get back up #ducking #scurred ;)

Carla also said she would 'welcome' a Ribas fight, so I don't think she can't be said to be getting picky either @Rizz. That's the kind of fight that can make your title shot you have firmly in your grip disappear for good, despite all your hard work, in an instant. I'd have rather she said she wasn't interested in that fight, TBH (& I think it's quite likely the UFC will actually book it), for similar reasons you suggest. But as Carla said before (when she was booked vs Suarez), she doesn't turn down fights...
(Incidentally, @leto1776 's avbae Grasso said exactly the same thing when she was asked to fight Suarez even though her team told her not to take it. All hail the no-ducking heros, real fighters ;) )

I did watch the interview. The interviewer practically had to drag the "callouts" out from her. She was completely passive and lacking in any assertiveness. When asked point blank about a title shot she stutters all over the places before going "well, yeah, I ah feel I am ready for that shot and ah with everything going on in the world it feels like there are stars aligning and..." then she rambles on about how all the top contenders are out and a bunch of other stuff and how she's the pandemic is giving her all these opportunities. No. Just no. The first words out of her mouth have to be "of course I'm ready for a title fight, and I want it now. Send me the contract!"

Same thing when she was asked about Joanna. No assertiveness. No "yeah I'm a much better fighter now, I'll beat her in a rematch", nothing like that at all. She needs a PR person to beat it into her head that she's interviewing for a title shot, and not just talking to an MMA reporter. The perception she gives off is basically if the opportunities fall into my lap I'll take them, but otherwise it is what it is. Carla does not give the impression of someone who is willing to reach out and grab that damn brass ring, she's basically resigned to whatever happens to her rather than taking control of her destiny.

If a UFC matchmaker saw that interview, he'd stick her as a gatekeeper for life. She has momentum but fails to assert her position or take control of her path. She's way too passive and just hoping things line up for her. She doesn't show hunger, confidence, or any of the traits that you want to see out of a contender. Even Maia knows how to punch her own ticket in calling for a fight against Valentina right after she beat JoJo. Carla, in a 15 minute interview which she had time to rehearse for, choked hard and gave away everything she's earned.

If Carla wants a title shot then now is the perfect time to campaign for one given that all the top ranked fighters are out or occupied in some way. She needs to ditch the "anyone anytime" attitude and be set on Zhang. If Dana wants Zhang to fight again this year and for whatever reason Rose or Joanna can't fight then Carla may very well be next in line. I find it odd how she says she's tired of being the gatekeeper but is also open to fighting Ribas.

I may be in the minority, but I've never felt like a fighter should have to call out contenders or the champion to be relevant. I'd much rather see in cage performance determine title shots. I fully realize that's not how the sport, and particularly the UFC work, but I don't have to like it. Can you imagine a dominant fighter with the personality of Hannah Cifers? I don't think she could be assertive in an interview if there was a million dollars in it for her.

I may be in the minority, but I've never felt like a fighter should have to call out contenders or the champion to be relevant. I'd much rather see in cage performance determine title shots. I fully realize that's not how the sport, and particularly the UFC work, but I don't have to like it. Can you imagine a dominant fighter with the personality of Hannah Cifers? I don't think she could be assertive in an interview if there was a million dollars in it for her.

Agree completely. But evidently the UFC adopted the WWE business model.

No one says fighters HAVE to call out anyone. The thing is it is in their own best interests to do so. Whatever generates interests in their fights is good fr their careers.

Here's the thing you can be the greatest fighter in the world but if no one cares about your fights you'll never be able to reap the rewards of your hardwork. Look at Mighty Mouse P4P but nobody wanted to actually see him fight. He was headlining fight nights with means he didn't a cut of the PPV revenue like other champions did.

Lots of action this weekend. Here's my picks.

[BOXING] Terri Harper vs. Natasha Jonas - Harper
[MMA] Bellator Valerie Loureda vs. Tara Graff - Loureda
[MMA] Brave Malin Hermansson vs. Elin Öberg - Hermansson
[MMA] UFC Fight Night Yana Kunitskaya vs. Julija Stoliarenko - Kunitskaya
[MMA/KICKBOXING] RIZIN Ayaka Hamasaki vs. Tomo Maesawa - Hamasaki
Kanna Asakura vs. Mizuki Furuse - Asakura

Stoliarenko last had that bloody war versus Lisa Versoza for Invicta (Julija won via split decision). Prior to that she won four in a row all via armbar. Yana beat Lansberg & Reneau prior to her loss against Aspen Ladd. She seems to keep improving and isn't afraid of a good scrap.

Interested in anyone's thoughts / insights on these fights!

Status
Not open for further replies.