Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by PurpleStorm, Jan 1, 2019.

1. PolarBearPaulVarelans Brown Belt

Do you ever get tired of being a clown?

I'm not a fan of JoJo (and have bet against her numerous times), and she has plenty of flaws, but none of the three qualities you wrote apply here, especially "poor fight IQ".

Hell, good fight IQ is how JoJo dominated a heavily hyped Lipski in her debut and how she beat Andrea Lee, an opponent who was more skilled and physically talented than her in every faucet of the game.

Like a lot of WMMA fights, this one followed exactly what I predicted...until it suddenly didn't.

Striking went exactly as I thought it would. JoJo looking poor and getting outboxed early, but gradually getting a feel for the distance and having success with her teeps to the body and roundhouse kicks to the legs.

Grappling went exactly as I expected; if Maia was going to throw a kick, which she rarely does, she would probably get it caught and taken down, JoJo's specialty, and sure enough, she was.

But JoJo, given her improved grappling, getting tapped by an armbar from guard straight out of 1998? Yeah, that part I didn't expect, heh.

I have no clue how the hell they will market Maia vs. Valentina given that Maia was clearly beaten by 2 recent challengers Valentina thrashed, Carmouche and Chookagian, AND was arguably beaten by freaking Alexis Davis.

2. Mittens Green Belt

Hospital pic, but no true update or even a hint of the medical stuff so probably nothing (or nothing yet).

3. GBJohn Purple Belt

From things I’ve been reading about the long term effects of COVID-19, it will definitely cause problems for a lot of athletes who get it, even if they never get really sick.

4. WingsLax9042 Brown Belt

I'm gonna go off of whatever Gordon Ryan and Craig Jones have to say about it.... honestly. I've had enough. Covid or die.

5. Eater of Souls Guardian of the Gate

Yeah. Unfortunately we still know so little about some of the long-term effects other than we are just starting to see them.

PurpleStorm, Rizz and GBJohn like this.
  6. msm1981 Green Belt

If Jennifer Maia can get all of the details ironed out including the scales she could be a
    title challenger & possibly a champion since she went to UFC with credentials to her
    name which means something to live up to.

Even though I was a few days late watching the Invicta event (29th in a row I have watched)
    the fighter that has fit the motto homegrown if it is applicable would be Erin Blanchfield since
    she has shown progress a little or a lot at a time but has matured into a good fighter at a
    young age.

PurpleStorm and GBJohn like this.
  7. Kuksenkov Yellow Belt

Dare I say it... UFC's women's Flyweight is getting interesting again? Everybody talks about how "bad" it is, due to the low level of the fighters, and how far ahead the champion is. But in reality, its VERY competitive. Most of the Top 15 could beat each other on any given day. We have some already established contenders: Jennifer Maia just inserted herself into the title picture, Lauren Murphy is near the top of the rankings with a three fight win streak, and Katlyn Chookagian remains a threat to everyone. Also we are getting more athletes signing up or making sound too: Calvillo already made her statement, Grasso is debuting soon, Moroz looked good in her last one and has another fight booked, Robertson keeps piling up the finishes, Lipski has won two in a row and had an impressive finish, and Jessica Andrade is about to hand out an ass whooping.

8. Dsfdandan Purple Belt

Honestly I’ve always found it interesting. It’s extremely competitive not including Valentina. Sure, no one is going to beat her but it’s fun to see who is going to end up earning a shot to fight her.

9. Rizz Purple Belt

This came out earlier.

PurpleStorm and Eater of Souls like this.
  10. Rizz Purple Belt

It is slowly starting to build into what every WMMA fan thought it would be. Give it more time for the prospects like Cortez, Agapova and Blanchfield to grow and take the places of some of the ranked fighters who are not so good. Not to mention more big 115ers who move up. It's growth was stunted in the beginning for obvious reasons but its starting to pick up.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  11. aerius Red Belt

It's hard to say if JoJo vs. Lipski was good IQ from the former or monumentally bad fight IQ and overhype for the latter. And even though it was an easy win, JoJo still showed questionable smarts such as not realizing she was going to get thrown when Lipski got a headlock on her in the clinch, and just hanging out doing nothing to defend until after she got tossed. As for "beating" Andrea Lee, that one's on the retard judges scoring the fight, she lost rounds 1 & 2 and barely squeaked out the 3rd.

Regarding JoJo's improved grappling, I'd say most of it is from taking a step down in competition. We had Faria who put herself into a triangle then handed away a free armbar while she was at it. Then we go to the Lipski fight again where JoJo had a half dozen chances to lock in and finish an armbar and let every one of them get away because she didn't know how to extend and crank the arm. It was almost as sad as Chookagian failing to finish the RNC on Antonina when the latter was face down, back mounted, and not even fighting hands.

Calderwood's problem is she doesn't recognize or understand positional setups, that's how she got guillotined by Andrade and armbarred by Maia. Jessica had the classic arm under & head control on JoJo to setup the guillotine and JoJo just tries to stand up without protecting her neck or trying to tie up Jessica's free arm. All Andrade had to do was get her free arm around the neck, lock hands with her other arm, and it was done. (Watch the 1st minute of Joanna vs. Claudia 2 for the proper way to defend the exact same guillotine setup).

The Maia sub was more of the same, grabbing forearm control from the bottom in full guard is a clear armbar setup and it's not like Maia snatched it out of nowhere. She was holding the arms and looking to rotate her hips around as soon as they went to the ground, but JoJo kept leaving her arms right there in front of her and letting Maia have control until she found the opportunity to lock in the sub. There was no urgency to fight grips or peel out the arms, she kept letting Maia have them until she got finished.

12. Mittens Green Belt

Fuck. I had read of the ongoing health problems post-disease, but stuff like this is depressing. Even if we don't get anyone keeling over from heart/lung failure in the middle of a sporting event a bunch of careers are gonna either go on hold or compeltely ruined, no doubt.

Especially bad for UFC people (and other semi-pros), who don't really have the luxury of being paid properly.

13. Eater of Souls Guardian of the Gate

Yeah. They are seeing neurological effects as well, including in children's cases. My wife has been consulting with some others on it and one of the big things the medical profession is trying to get across is that one of the reasons this damn thing is so bad is that it has obvious long-term effects in some people. We do not yet know what, why or how. I am going to leave it at that because this is not the place I want to discuss it. Probably turn this thread into a shit-show.

Mittens, Jackonfire, GBJohn and 2 others like this.
  14. PolarBearPaulVarelans Brown Belt

I'm a big Andrea Lee fan and she has made me a ton of money when I bet her against Evans-Smith and De la Rosa, but Calderwood straight-up won that fight. Nothing to do with "retard judges".

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/10396/Joanne-Calderwood-vs-Andrea-Lee

13 media members had it for JoJo versus just 3 for Lee. And the latter 3 includes the infamous MMABrasil and the notorious alcoholic Tim Burke.

Even among the normally contrarian fans, 59% saw it for JoJo versus just 39% for Lee.

No one is claiming she is a grappling wizard now. But there is a difference between being subbed by Moroz, hurt or not, and continually being taken down by opponents, to continually taking down Lipski, Chookagian, Lee, and Maia, and having a significant grappling advantage over all except maybe Maia.

She has undoubtedly improved a lot at Syndicate.

The situations aren't really the same, and I think you're misdiagnosing the biggest mistake against Maia. Yes, JoJo could have even snuffed out the attempt, but honestly, armbar attempts from guard are dreadfully low-percentage if you defend properly and also allow passes.

Unfortunately, while JoJo at least got the proper angle and didn't try to pull her arm back (which puts her ahead of Belbita vs. Jojua, at least), she didn't stack hard enough, which gave Maia the leverage to topple her over.

Whether that was ignorance, a deficiency in technique, a lapse in concentration, or from her feeling ill is anyone's guess.

15. Xuh Silver Belt

also:

Further technical analysis:

Pros:
    No tattoos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hmmm maybe last guy falls a teeny bit short... but then again by today's standards he's practically au natural.
    [​IMG]

...OK, I think that's still permissible, by the standard applied above.
    Will go far for sure. ;)

16. aerius Red Belt

30-27 JoJo is clearly a retard judge, there is no way to score the 1st round for JoJo unless you slept through half of it. Scoring the 2nd round for her also is questionable considering the striking was fairly even and Lee had a takedown with significant control time and strikes landed, whereas JoJo got the classic takedown to nothing with half a minute to go. The fact that most of the media agrees with the judges means they're somewhere in between the judges and the Sherdog collective in terms of mental deficiency.

She takes down her opponents, but she still gets taken down almost as much in return. And Lipski was the only one she had a grappling advantage against, she got nothing done against the rest of them. Hell, if Chookagian wasn't a useless grappler as I noted earlier, she would've had JoJo finished with the exact same armbar that Maia used. Maybe JoJo's a bit better these days, but I don't think it's anything significant.

Except JoJo doesn't know how to defend properly. She was doing the exact same thing in the 2nd round of her fight against Chookagian, lucky for her Katlyn got her BJJ brown belt in a happy meal and kept using the body triangle to hold JoJo in place when she had full control of the arms instead of trying to rotate her hips around finish the armbar. This is like the most basic by the book armbar setup that they teach beginners, and that's twice in recent fights that JoJo's repeatedly put herself in a position to get finished by it. If you're gonna put your arms on top of your opponent and allow them to get control without weighting down or blocking out their hips, you're gonna get armbarred every time unless your opponent is a potato or wants to go for the triangle instead.

If we look at the actual attempt to defend once Maia got the arm, JoJo fucked up every part of that as well. She needed to walk her feet clockwise (viewed from above) to take away the angle and get a good base so that she can stack Maia and keep her from extending. But she goes CCW which keeps the angle, doesn't give her a base since Maia's body & head are in the way, and it gives Maia the option to invert and go belly down to finish the armbar. JoJo went the wrong way, tripped over Maia's head, then fell over on her back where she got finished. She walked right into the sub then gave it away for free.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  17. leto1776 Sherdog Wet Shaver Platinum Member

Haven’t watched it, but apparently multi time Invicta vet Julia Ottolino had a grappling bout on Flo Grappling Friday night.

18. msm1981 Green Belt

I figured out the only way that Juliana Velasquez gets a title shot and that would be when her
    Bellator contract expires she signs with Invicta and gets 1 or 2 wins out of the box like Emily
    Ducote did when she signed with the promotion.

19. Mittens Green Belt

Hey, why didn't anyone tell me that Stoliarenko is replacing on saturdays card?!

[​IMG]

Hopefully we see something to again please the JBG <3

20. WingsLax9042 Brown Belt

Do you want me to go watch it? I can report in.... not sure if you'll find it without paying.

I meant to watch a few fights on that card... I have a friend from 10p on it... but when Gordon and Craig pulled out I lost undercard interest.... the main event and the Rocha fights were awesome though.... Garry Tonon is the answer to everything. haha.