Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by PurpleStorm, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Hellowhosthat Red Belt

Namedropping Sherdog to try and get some street cred. <{hughesimpress}>

Eater of Souls likes this.
  2. Rizz Purple Belt

going by that performance JoJo vs Valentina would have been another Jessica Eye situation. JoJo did not look good anywhere.

Eater of Souls and Kuksenkov like this.
  3. Dreyga2000 Always Rooting for the Black Guy

Guess it Valentina vs Calvillo now

4. Dsfdandan Purple Belt

Who else picked Maia tonight? Idk, her boxing just seemed better to me, and Jojo isn’t known for head movement. That being said my analysis meant nothing because that’s not how she won lol

Eater of Souls and Kuksenkov like this.
  5. Mittens Green Belt

Crickey, woke up for the Calderwood/Maia, seems like old JoJo is back & getting submitted by a slight breeze is again a thing. :( At least it was co-main so I could wake up at a somewhat reasonable time.

6. leto1776 Sherdog Wet Shaver Platinum Member

For the flack I sometimes get for being anti hype train, I’d like to remind the old hands, and let the new hands know, I was always anti JoJo hype train, and tonight is yet another example why.

I get the feeling that’s what UFC/Dana wants, but the champ already told Maia she’d see her soon via Twitter.

Eater of Souls, Kuksenkov and Larisa. like this.
  7. Larisa. Blue Belt

Welp, I guess Maia just stole a title shot there (that too with her first finish in five years). I feel bad for JoJo.

Mittens and Eater of Souls like this.
  8. Eater of Souls Guardian of the Gate

Yep. Still not good off of her back foot, poor fight IQ and limited athleticism.

9. Kuksenkov Yellow Belt

I'm no writing her off, the UFC did lol. Other fighters lose once and just move down one spot in the rankings or stay the same, while their opponent's goes up. She lost once and got dragged out of the Top 5 with no hesitation. Again, a win over Reneau means she's better than a 40 year old fighter on a losing streak... Which she SHOULD be. If it were Kunitskaya, then it has implications because either of them would be right outside the Top 5 waiting for a top contender. Vieira wins, she gets Yana again.

And wow Jennifer! She came out motivated tonight! Yes, Joanne is not excellent and never has been, but a dominant performance AND a finish against the #3 is impressive regardless.

I don't think they should feed Jennifer to Valentina JUST YET. She did miss weight twice in a row, and still got pierced by Chookagian. Match her up against Murphy/Calvillo or rematch her against Chookagian. There's options this time around, don't throw her into the wolves just because she dominated a former strawweight coming off a split decision win.

10. Xuh Silver Belt

well I wouldn't say it meant nothing, Maia was lighting her up like a Christmas tree, which might be why SlowJo took it to the mat and got armbarred instead...

Larisa., Eater of Souls and leto1776 like this.
  11. Mmmmmmma1234 Black Belt

You put more stock into rankings then anyone else including ufc matchmakers. "Omg she's 7th not 5th" like it's a big deal and beating Marion will be virtually the same as yana for her and she'll get a top 5 opponent next.

12. PurpleStorm Black Belt

So glad Jennifer Maia got a performance of the night bonus. She looked the best I’ve seen her. Much better in the standup, connected on some strong overhand rights. Then pulled off that sick arm bar from the ground.

For the life of me I do not understand how Calderwood and her coaches did not know that she shouldn’t have messed with Maia on the ground.

13. Larisa. Blue Belt

Yikes, I hope she's alright.
    Dana pretty much confirmed Maia vs. Val is next, wants to book it ASAP.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  14. leto1776 Sherdog Wet Shaver Platinum Member

“Nobody ever wants to stand and trade with me.”
    -Joanne Calderwood, before taking her opponent down after eating a few flush punches to the face.

15. Rizz Purple Belt

I also hope she is OK. Remember she just got over Covid - 19. It never came out but if you do the math it was obvious. She quarantined with John Wood. No one would quarantine with a Covid positive person unless they themselves were also positive. For instance, his son did not quarantine with them.

16. Xuh Silver Belt

That's interesting, I wonder if she'll say that in interviews (or if anyone will even ask).
    You'd think she'd want to wait longer to fight herself in that situation, but maybe she wasn't particularly symptomatic (if she was, then ya I'd have thought she'd want to wait a bit).

I did wonder if it might be an issue for Irene too, since she supposedly wasn't doing so good for a couple of days, and her fight with Holly is only kicked back to October, and you know Holly is going to make it a gruelling one...

Eater of Souls, PurpleStorm and Rizz like this.
  17. aerius Red Belt

John Wood curse is real. Both of his fighters had a free shot at Valentina if they played their cards right, but both took a keep busy fight and got taken out of title contention.

Maia JoJo fight was surprising. For one thing Maia made weight and she looked faster than usual, in her last couple fights she looked like she was moving in syrup. Which could be related since she missed weight by a good chunk in those fights. As for JoJo, not surprised that her defence remains shit and she still blocks punches with her face, Valentina would've killed her dead. Also got way too confident in her "improved" ground game and decided to play around with Maia on the ground, which is questionable to say the least. I thought Maia was going to go for the belly down armbar on JoJo's right arm, but it went back to guard and she ended up breaking off the other arm.

Maia vs. Val is actually a lot more interesting since Jennifer can at least keep her honest on the ground whereas JoJo is completely outclassed everywhere.

18. det_regnar_på_vår_kärlek Brown Belt

Felt bad for Jojo. She always looked a little bit slow and stuck in the mud, but this fight was painful to watch.

PurpleStorm and Eater of Souls like this.
  19. det_regnar_på_vår_kärlek Brown Belt

I would have to rewatch her fights, but my impression is that her athleticism has been declining a lot. She had a very good run in Invicta and some good performances in the UFC [Seohee Ham (which she lost IMO but was a good fight) and Valerie], but to me it seems each fight I watch her she's getting slower and slower. I don't know if that's something I made up in my head, but that's my impression.

PurpleStorm and Eater of Souls like this.
  20. Mittens Green Belt

Hope JoJo is all right, and hopefully we did not see thee first instance of many, across all sports, of the post-illness symptoms fucking over athletes who had Covid-19 in the long run... :(

Glad for Maia gettin' bonused, at least :)