Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting caption, considering the wonder bra go to work, doing wonders

That has to be implants or a really good push up brassier since 99% of the women in MMA
do not have anything resembling a bustline since they disappear after the first or second
weight cut bodyfat percentages depending.

Here's a coherent explanation by Cruz & Melendez of how the first Andrade vs. Rose fight ended, and what can be done differently:

From there I searched for a simple definition of 'kimura' and found a cool glossary. Love understanding terms and hope others might find the following posts useful too.

Last edited:
MMA Glossary pt. 1
  • Achilles lock: Common foot lock submission executed by exerting pressure on the heel and Achilles tendon.
  • Americana: A kind of arm lock in which a competitor pins the opponent's arm to the floor, with the arm being bent at the elbow and the palm is facing up.
  • American top team (ATT): A mixed martial arts academy and top MMA team located in Coconut Creek, Fla.
  • Anaconda choke: A kind of choke hold. An arm triangle from the front headlock position is achieved by a competitor trapping the opponent's arm with an underhook.
  • Arm bar: Also called "cross lock", a joint lock achieved by a competitor positioning his or her body against the opponent in a way that traps the opponent's arm between the competitor's knees, and using his/her hips, exerts pressure on the elbow joint by trying to hyper-extend the opponent's elbow or 'bend it backwards'.
  • Axe kick: A standing kick used against a grounded opponent where the kicker extends his or her leg straight up, and brings it straight down on the opponent like an axe.
  • Back control: Also called "hooks in", a rear mount position allowing a competitor to wrap his/her legs around the opponent so as to restrict the opponent's movements.
  • Body slam: Competitor picks up his/her opponent and slams the opponent to the ground.
  • Boxing: Western fighting style used in MMA repertoire involving fast footwork, strategic punches, and evasive dodges.
  • Brazilian jiu-jitsu: Style of MMA derived from Japanese jiu-jitsu ("gentle or flexible technique") involving gaining and maintaining strategic positions.
  • Butterfly guard: The positioning of a fighter's feet on the opponent's thighs in a way that restrict the opponent's movements.
  • Cage: The competition ring for MMA.
  • Can opener: The competitor places both hands behind the opponent's neck and pulls the opponent's head towards the competitor.
  • Catch wrestling: Catching an opponent's limb in order to gain a dominant position.
  • Choke: A neck hold intended to restrict breathing, or blood flow to the brain.
  • Clinch: Two fighters facing one another with arms and upper body in a locked position.
  • Clinch maulers: Technique derived from Grecian-Roman wrestling intended to restrict the opponent using "dirty boxing" moves to the knees and elbows and upper body by employing a combination of underhooks and the Thai Clinch.
  • Closed guard: The holding of an opponent by interlocking feet behind the opponent.
  • Collar tie: Grasping the back of the opponent's neck.
  • Corner: The section outside the fighting ring designated for the fighter's assistant.
  • Crucifix: Fighter locks his/her opponent's arm between his or her legs by crossing them, and then pins down the other arm with one hand, freeing the fighter's other hand to punch the opponent's head.
  • D'arce choke: An arm lock named after fighter Joe D'arce, resulting in a kind of choke hold similar to the Anaconda choke.
  • Decision: A winner is declared by a group of MMA judges.
  • Dirty boxing: Boxing and wrestling techniques are used in combination to close in on an opponent.
  • Double leg take-down: Taking down an opponent by grabbing both legs or feet.
  • DREAM: MMA organization promoted by Fighting and Entertainment Group.
  • Elbow: A blow to the opponent's head using the elbow.
  • Elite Xtreme Combat (Elite XC): MMA organization based in the US.
  • Escape: A competitor escapes a choke hold.
  • Fish hooking: An illegal act by a fighter hooking his or her finger into the opponent's mouth or ear and pulling down.
  • Flattening out: Fighter grounds the opponent by jumping onto the opponent's back and performing maneuvers that straighten out the opponent's body, leading him or her to fall flat on the mat.
  • Flying knee: Jumping knee strike.
  • Front mount: The top fighter faces the bottom fighter in a straddle position.
  • Full guard: Fighter assumes a "missionary position" (lying on his or her back) as the fighter attempts to restrain the opponent by holding onto the back of the neck, wrists, or holding the opponent to control their movement.
  • Full mount: Fighter is on his or her back with the opponent on the fighter's chest in a straddle position, making it difficult for the fighter to buck the opponent off.
  • Grappling: General term used to denote wrestling, and ground-oriented martial arts.
  • Gogoplata: A type of choke hold maneuver derived from Brazilian jiu-jitsu, executed by a rubber guard.
  • Ground or pound: Fighter takes the opponent down and pounds the opponent.
  • Guard: Grappling position involving one fighter on his or her back with legs wrapped around the opponent while either standing or kneeling.
  • Guard pass: A fighter moves from the opponent's guard into a mount position.
  • Guillotine choke: A choke from a position of facing the opponent in a headlock with hands clasped together.
  • Half guard: Opponent has one leg to the fighter's side with the other between the fighter's legs.
  • Hammer-fist: A swift blow to an opponent with the pinky side of a closed fist.
  • Headbutt: Striking an opponent with the head.
  • Headlock: The fighter wraps his or her arm around the opponent's neck and holds the opponent's head between the fighter's side and arm.
  • Heel hook: A leg lock executed by applying force to the opponent's ankle and knee by twisting the opponent's foot.
  • Hip throw: A wrestling move executed by throwing the opponent over the hips.
  • Hook: A fighter uses his or her side force to cock the opponent's arm at a 90-degree angle in front of their body.
  • Hooks: Or "putting in the hooks", competitor anchors his or her heels around the opponent's legs.
  • Jab: A straight punch.
  • Jiu-jitsu: (See Brazilian jui-jitsu)
  • Judo: Meaning "yielding", a Japanese martial art dating to the nineteenth century, featuring throws and take-downs.
  • Karate: A martial arts style developed from Chinese and native fighting techniques featuring knee and elbow strikes, punching, kicking, and open hand moves.
  • Kesa-gatami: A position like the side mount except the top player is turned more towards the bottom player, and the top player's arm is wrapped around the bottom player's head.
  • Keylock: Fighter holds his or her opponent's forearm to twist the arm.
  • Kickboxing: A western boxing style of martial arts characterized by leg strikes.
  • Kimura: A basic hold similar to the key-lock, executed by bending the opponent's arm in an unnatural direction, applying pressure on the elbow and shoulder joint.
  • Knee-bar: Hyper-extending the leg at the knee.
  • KO: Short for "Knock Out".
  • Krav Maga: "Contact Combat"; an Israeli-derived, hand-to-hand military combat system.
  • Leg kick: A kick to the opponent's leg.
  • Leg lock: A finishing hold where the fighter puts pressure on the opponent's knee, ankle, or toes by isolating the opponent's leg or foot.
  • Liver shot: A hook punch combined with an upper cut to deliver a painful strike to the liver.
  • Miletich fighting systems: Founded in Bettendorf, Ia., one of the earliest MMA training schools with several affiliate schools.
  • Mission control: Similar to a rubber guard except the fighter's hand is crossed across his or her opponent's back as the fighter grabs the opponent's ankle.
  • Mixed martial arts: A mixture of martial arts and hand-to-hand combat techniques.
  • MMA: An acronym standing for "Mixed Martial Arts".
  • Muay Thai: A style of kickboxing originating from Thailand.
  • Mount: A ground position marked by the fighter being on top of the opponent with legs wrapped around the opponent's body.

Pt. 2
  • Neck crank: Spinal lock applied by manipulating the neck beyond its natural range of motion.
  • No holds barred: A term used to denote an aggressive "anything goes" type of mixed martial arts event dating to the late 1800s, and now banned in Brazil.
  • North-south position: Players are chest-to-chest with one player's head at the opponent's feet, and vice versa.
  • Octagon: Eight-sided ring upon which martial arts competitions are played.
  • Omoplata: A shoulder lock derived from Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
  • Open guard: A guard position without the feet being locked.
  • Overhand punch: A punch executed by swinging the fist up and over.
  • Over-under position: Also called the "50/50" position, it's considered to be the most common clinch position in MMA in which both competitors have one overhook, and one underhook.
  • Overhooks: A clinch hold used to control the opponent.
  • Pankration: Greek for "All Powerful", a martial arts sport introduced at the Greek Olympics in 648 B.C. which combines boxing and wrestling elements.
  • Peruvian necktie: A fighting maneuver used when an opponent shoots in on an opponent's legs for a single or double-leg take-down.
  • Pinch grip tie: Also called the "over-under body lock"; a fighting maneuver used for bull-rushing and forcing an opponent onto their back. The fighter's arm goes under the opponent's arm and the other goes over the shoulder with both hands clasped together behind the opponent's back.
  • The Pit: Founded in 1986 by John Hackleman and located in California; this began as a training gym in the art of KaJuKenBo.
  • Position: A posture assumed during the course of a fight.
  • Pulling guard: Fighting off the back. Executed by grabbing an opponent and pulling the opponent down into the fighter's full guard.
  • Rear mount: A mount position in which the top fighter is on the bottom fighter's back.
  • Rear naked choke: A kind of choke taken from behind the opponent.
  • Reversal: Fighter moves from an inferior to a superior position.
  • Reverse mount: Also known as "north-south mount", a position in which the fighters' heads are facing opposite directions.
  • Rubber guard: A guard position in which the bottom fighter brings his or her leg high up on the top fighter's back and hooks the bottom fighter's leg under the top fighter's arm.
  • Sambo: A Russian form of martial art that combines elements of wrestling and Japanese Judo.
  • Sengoku: The first MMA event to take place in 2008 in Tokyo, Japan.
  • Shoot fighting: A term referring to "real" fighting as opposed to fights that have predetermined outcomes; also refers to a style combining various martial arts elements.
  • Side control: A position in which a fighter restricts the opponent by lying perpendicularly across the opponent's back.
  • Side mount: also called "side control", fighters are chest to chest; both legs of one of the fighters are at the side of the opponent.
  • Single/double-leg take-down: A wrestling move where a fighter's arms are wrapped around the opponent's two thighs, pulling them together and bringing the opponent down.
  • Spinning back-fist: Before punching the opponent, a fighter starts out facing the opponent, then spins around full circle, building momentum, with fist outstretched.
  • Spinning back-kick: Similar to "spinning back-fist", but involves a kick.
  • Sprawl: Defense of a take-down attempt in which the opponent jumps back, and drops his or her weight onto the opponent attempting to take the opponent down.
  • Straight punch: Reverse hand punch aimed straight toward the fighter's target.
  • Street fighting: The art of fighting based on experience gained from fighting on the streets.
  • Striking: Hitting the opponent with the hand, foot, head, elbow, knee, or other body part.
  • Submission: A fighter "taps out" or concedes to the opponent in order to end a match.
  • Submission hold: A choke or joint maneuver intended to cause the opponent to yield, or "tap out".
  • Submission wrestling: A hybrid style of wresting that includes many techniques.
  • Superman: A fighter fakes a kick, and then while drawing his kicking foot back, swiftly takes a punch with the same-side hand.
  • Slick submissions: sneaky, fluid moves in a swift effort to bring the fight to the ground.
  • Straight punch: Reverse punch aimed straight at the target.
  • Strikeforce Fighting Championship: MMA or kickboxing organization based in San Hose, Calif.
  • Sweep: A swift move by a competitor, with his or her opponent in guard, to knock the opponent off balance and turn the opponent over to assume a mount position.
  • Swing-for-the-fences: A fighter "gives it everything they've got" in the final seconds of a round.
  • Take-down: Getting the opponent to the ground.
  • Tap out: Submitting to a finishing hold.
  • Team quest: MMA training camp with branches in Oregon, and California.
  • Throw: A martial arts move, the most common being the hip toss. Similar to the trip, a fighter holds onto the opponent, steps into the opponent, and the fighter partly puts his or her back to the opponent while twisting the opponent, at the same time pulling the opponent over the fighter's leg, sending the opponent to the floor.
  • Toe hold: Martial arts technique of hyper-extending the opponent's ankle by grabbing the opponent's foot near the toes and twisting or pushing to apply pressure on the ankle.
  • Triangle choke: A kind of choke hold using the legs.
  • Trip: A strategic move where a fighter steps forward, puts his or her front leg behind the opponent's foot, tripping the opponent backwards.
  • Turtle mount: Also called "rear mount", the back mount position when the fighter's opponent is on "all fours" and the top fighter wraps his or her legs around the opponent's hips for stability.
  • Twister: Also called "guillotine", a wrestling move in which the fighter faces the opponent's feet while in half guard, and places his or her hand on the opponent's knee before moving into full mount.
  • Ultimate fighting championship (UFC): U.S.-based mixed martial arts event known in the martial arts world as the largest MMA promotion worldwide.
  • Underhooks: A clinch hold used to control the opponent.
  • Uppercut: A punch marked by abruptly raising the fist to the opponent's face or body.
  • Vale tudo: A Portuguese term meaning "anything goes" and refers to "no holds barred", which is a fighting event now banned in Brazil.
  • Wrestling: An ancient sporting event characterized by performing a variety of moves intended to take down the opponent.
  • Wild brawlers: A swinging, slamming style of fighting similar to that of street or prison fighting.
  • World Victory Road (WVR): A Japanese MMA promotion.
  • Xtreme Couture: A MMA training organization led by Randy Couture - UFC champion, and co-founder of Team Quest.
  • Zuffa: Italian for "brawl", or "fight with no rules".
https://mma.epicsports.com/mma-glossary.html

I know its early but any thoughts on some of the womens fights on UFC 251?

I have a lot of appreciation for all 4 fighters on the main card. Each have had some amazing wins, and some tough losses/adversity in their careers that they've battled through.

As for my prediction, I kind of think Paige is going to win. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Ribas won, and I'm pretty cool with either winning from a fan standpoint. I just think Paige is the bigger, stronger, more athletic fighter who has faced stiffer competition and has a lot to prove. Her size and her pressure I think will be a lot for Ribas to handle.
Doubling down on unpopular opinions, I think Andrade should be the favorite in the rematch with Rose. Maybe I just can't get over what she did to Claudia but I just think she's so much physically stronger than Rose, and her aggression poses a lot of problems. I know Rose looked great in the first round last time, but she really did seem to tire by the end of the second round. Fighters always make sense of why they lose, and while I don't doubt the burden of being champion, Rose has blamed outside factors for all her loses. No shade here but Andrade could just be a tough matchup for her.

I have a lot of appreciation for all 4 fighters on the main card. Each have had some amazing wins, and some tough losses/adversity in their careers that they've battled through.

As for my prediction, I kind of think Paige is going to win. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Ribas won, and I'm pretty cool with either winning from a fan standpoint. I just think Paige is the bigger, stronger, more athletic fighter who has faced stiffer competition and has a lot to prove. Her size and her pressure I think will be a lot for Ribas to handle.
Doubling down on unpopular opinions, I think Andrade should be the favorite in the rematch with Rose. Maybe I just can't get over what she did to Claudia but I just think she's so much physically stronger than Rose, and her aggression poses a lot of problems. I know Rose looked great in the first round last time, but she really did seem to tire by the end of the second round. Fighters always make sense of why they lose, and while I don't doubt the burden of being champion, Rose has blamed outside factors for all her loses. No shade here but Andrade could just be a tough matchup for her.

Yeah, good thoughts & always enjoy reading opinions different from mine. I'm going with Ribas & Namajunas. Can definitely understand why you'd pick differently. Ribas I just feel is coming on super strong and has been kind of a dark horse for a while now. Her win over Dern convinced me she can grapple very well and confidently. Love watching Paige fight too and don't want to underestimate her heart but I just wonder if her recent injuries could affect the outcome. Rose I feel can prevent getting slammed by releasing the kimura earlier or sitting back on it as Gilbert explained in the above video. If she does so I just like her slightly better on the feet. Again I can see why you like Andrade in that one as she did win their first match up.

Well I've seen quite a few ppl say stuff 'Paige is bigger so he has a chance', quite a few of them were at least semi-knowledgeable MMA fans too, still it surprised me how many ppl think she has a glimmer of a chance :)

Anyway you have a full house of seeing things the opposite way to me, it's funny how people can view reality completely the opposite to one another eh? ;)
Here's what I see:
'Paige is bigger' - she fought most her career at 115, only the last 2 were at 125, about the time she got fake tits...
- 2 of Ribas's 3 UFC fights were: Whitmire (was on TUF 125), Dern (infamous weight issues...)
So, not big enough in a way to matter IMO.

-'Stronger, more athletic'
Paige is above average athletically but Amanda is mean and lean, a fighting machine, and was on the Brazil national judo team, Paige isn't on that level athletically IMO (more like 'best cheerleader in high school' level).

'faced stiffer competition' here I disagree STRONGLY! Well, I guess you could say Paige fought stiff competition like Torres, Rose, Waterson... but she was also completely, helplessly, destroyed by them.
Meanwhile, Randa Markos fought fighters like Gadelha, Esparza, Kowalkiewicz, Ansaroff, Rodriguez etc, etc, even when she lost she usually at least won a round or it was sort of 'close'. Nobody ever destroyed her. Ribas DESTROYED her. Even Drake Riggs had to give Ribas TWO 10-8 rounds in that fight (probably whilst sobbing uncontrollably).
Dern would also smoosh PVZ with great ease IMO.
So... even if PVZ did face tougher comp... she only showed she was nowhere near their league, while Ribas showed she was far above perennial a top 10 gatekeeper (Markos) and onetime best female BJJer in the world (Dern). Paige could never get such results.
As for 'pressure'... yes Paige's pressure works OK when she's fighting bums but all that will do here is get Paige dumped on her head by Ribas's Judo.
I honestly can't envisage a win for Paige outside of:
(i) flying head kick a la the Bec fight; (ii) Ribas takes an awkward step and her frankenstein knee gives out and she loses via injury.
Those aren't very likely scenarios. Even at 1/10 odds Ribas is a free money offering, better than the stock market for investing right now lol

Other fights!
Rosa/Melo: Low level WMMA fight. Wait did I sound like a guy from the heavies there? Well.. it is though. Winner is looking to move into 'mid level WMMA fighter' status which is probably their ceiling. It should be a fun fight though. I'll go with the favorite (Rosa) but some upset potential perhaps.

Rose/Andrade: I think 3 rounds favours Rose, she only needs to dance around for 2 and not get planted on her head in the 3rd this time.
However apparently she isn't training with Whitman this time? That makes me much more doubtful of her chances.
I hope Rose does it anyway, Android is my least favorite WMMA fighter alongside Cyborg.

Last edited:
Based on their performances in recent fights, Ribas should decision Paige pretty solidly. However, it appears one of the regulars in the Standup Technique forum has been working with PVZ, and it sounds like she's finally training with a legit coach. If this is the case, it's possible that she's made significant improvements since her last fight and all bets are off. Still favouring Ribas to win based on proven performance.

Rose vs. Andrade is a coin flip. Both are coming off KO losses, both are apparently "getting back to their roots" and "reworking their game", so who the hell knows how they're going to fight once they get in there. Might be a replay of the 1st fight, might see "patient Andrade", or maybe Rose goes old school Justin Gaethje for all we know. Going with Rose because Shevchenko picked her, and I'm not arguing with Val.

I think PVZ is going to get lit up and tap to strikes. She will then move to Bellator and set a Bellator PPV record when she fights Loureda.

Agreed...Rose vs. Andrade II is a tough one to call. Both are coming off losses; former champs usually don't have the drive that not-yet-champs do. It's hard to speculate where each fighter will be at mentally. I guess I'm inclined to pick Andrade just because I think she can wall-n-stall her way to victory. But, if Rose is very elusive and focused, she could win.

Jarl

Ribas by being better at everything. Jessica by pressure. I think even in a three round fight if she keeps coming forward she can break Rose.

Rosa by decision.

Ribas should win handily enough - by sub? - but the sight of Amanda being whacked by Polyana Viana (and she was going before the slip) ought to give the "bet the house boys" pause for thought.

Namajunas can outpoint Andrade in a three round fight, via boxing. Will she try something stupid though?

Hermansson is (or was) signed to Bellator and got first round armbarred by Victoria Leonardo on one of their cards. She has wins over Karla Benitez & Cornelia Holm. Pal has been can crushing on RXF cards and lost to Diana Belbita twice.

I'm going with Rosa, Ribas & Hosie all by UD.

Last edited:
the sight of Amanda being whacked by Polyana Viana (and she was going before the slip) ought to give the "bet the house boys" pause for thought.

'bet the house boy' here.
I was going to mention the slip, but it seems that detail was edited in later ;)

I still think it was because of the slip.

If I'm wrong, feel free to write a letter making fun of me & post it to my cardboard box just off the high street ;)

'bet the house boy' here.
I was going to mention the slip, but it seems that detail was edited in later ;)

I still think it was because of the slip.

If I'm wrong, feel free to write a letter making fun of me & post it to my cardboard box just off the high street ;)

Oh I'm sure you won't have to sleep in the Lambo, but odds of 10 to 1 on in a two horse (sorry ladies) race is a bit excessive.

odds of 10 to 1 on in a two horse (sorry ladies) race
I'm sure they won't mind. Chicks dig horses.
Like... really dig them for some reason.

At least you didn't call it a two dog race...
<6>

(Incidentally I've never really understood all the 'hurr, horse face' online douchebros make about any girl with a long face, it's a mark of high class and breeding ;) )

I'm sure you won't have to sleep in the Lambo

It's extremely uncomfortable trying to sleep in a car, even one with luxury seats made of Rich Corinthian Leather™.
In that situation I'd probably just cruise around the streets all night long instead, while reflecting on my poor life choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.