Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider it done.

The ban has been lifted.

I believe that's correct, so, now Homeless is deceased (RIP) maybe another mod (@Jackonfire ? :p) could remove wmmarankings dot com from the censor filter?

How I'm imagining this fight:

source.gif

They may bleed, sweat, and concuss each other but at least they won't cough on them :)

That is certainly something I can bring up with the admins.

ONE is signing some pretty good fighters to their kickbox/mt divisions.

Last edited:
One of the few high profile mma retirements that has stuck:

That fight filled me with animosity toward Jessica Aguilar for ruining it with eyepokes. If it hadn't been Megumi's retirement fight I think that they would have disqualified Aguilar, because the eyepokes were so egregious, but so many people had bought tickets just to see Megumi's last fight I think there was a lot of reluctance to end the fight that way. Nonetheless, I have NEVER forgiven Aguilar for those eyepokes.

That fight filled me with animosity toward Jessica Aguilar for ruining it with eyepokes. If it hadn't been Megumi's retirement fight I think that they would have disqualified Aguilar, because the eyepokes were so egregious, but so many people had bought tickets just to see Megumi's last fight I think there was a lot of reluctance to end the fight that way. Nonetheless, I have NEVER forgiven Aguilar for those eyepokes.
Having watched the fight twice before making the video, it’s not like she did it on purpose. Were they bad, yes. We’re they Jones like? No. Yes, they ruined the fight, but I no longer hold I’ll will towards Aguilar like I once did for it.

Still disappointed she chose WSOF over Invicta, though.

Here's that list of fights worth watching. Nick at wmmarankings gives a preview of each bout and a link on where to watch. Most all are viewable on fight pass except where noted.

http://wmmarankings.com/the-ultimate-wmma-watch-list/

UFC
RONDA ROUSEY VS LIZ CARMOUCHE, UFC 157
RONDA ROUSEY VS MIESHA TATE II, UFC 168
RONDA ROUSEY VS CAT ZINGANO, UFC 184
MIESHA TATE VS CAT ZINGANO, TUF 17 FINALE
JOANNA JEDRZEJCZYK VS CLAUDIA GADELHA I , UFC ON FOX 13
JOANNA JEDRZEJCZYK VS CLAUDIA GADELHA II, TUF 23 FINALE
WEILI ZHANG VS JOANNA JEDRZEJCZYK, UFC 248
ESPN+
ROSE NAMAJUNAS VS JESSICA ANDRADE, UFC 236
ROSE NAMAJUNAS VS PAIGE VANZANT, UFC FN 80
KAROLINA KOWALKIEWICZ VS ROSE NAMAJUNAS, UFC 201
CARLA ESPARZA VS ALEXA GRASSO, UFC MEXICO CITY
CARLA ESPARZA VS ROSE NAMAJUNAS, TUF 20 FINALE
JESSICA EYE VS LESLIE SMITH, UFC 180
RONDA ROUSEY VS HOLLY HOLM, UFC 193
HOLLY HOLM VS MIESHA TATE, UFC 196
CAT ZINGANO VS AMANDA NUNES, UFC 1
IRENE ALDANA VS LUCIE PUDILOVA, UFC 228
AMANDA NUNES VS VALENTINA SHEVCHNKO, UFC 196
JESSICA ANDRADE VS ANGELA HILL, UFC HOUSTON
MIESHA TATE VS SARA MCMANN
PAIGE VANZANT VS BEC RAWLINGS, UFC VANCOUVER
SEO HEE HAM VS CORTNEY CASEY, UFC SOUTH KOREA

Bellator
JULIA BUDD VS CRIS CYBORG, BELLATOR 238
Highlights on YouTube
HEATHER HARDY VS ALICE YAUGER, BELLATOR 180 Bellator
JESSICA EYE VS ZOLIA GURGEL, BELLATOR YouTube
ILIMA-LEI MACFARLANE VS EMILY DUCOTE, BELLATOR 186 Bellator
ANASTASIA YANKOVA VS VETA ARTEGA, BELLATOR 161 Bellator
KRISTINA WILLIAMS VS HEATHER HARDY, BELLATOR 185 Bellator

Invicta FC
JULIJA STOLIARENKO VS LISA VERZOSA, INVICTA: PHOENIX SERIES 3
TECIA TORRES VS ROSE NAMAJUNAS I, INVICTA FC 6
ALEXA GRASSO VS MIZUKI INOUE, INVICTA FC 11
LESLIE SMITH VS KAITLIN YOUNG, INVICTA FC 1
JESSICA PENNE VS MICHELLE WATERSON, INVICTA FC 5
MICHELLE WATERSON VS YASUKO TAMADA, INVICTA FC 8
MICHELLE WATERSON VS HERICA TIBURCIO, INVICTA FC 10
CHARMAINE TWEET VS LATOYA WALKER, INVICTA FC 17
MEGAN ANDERSON VS CHARMAINE TWEET, INVICTA FC 21
ALEXIS DAVIS VS SHAYNA BASZLER, INVICTA FC 4
ANDREA LEE VS RACHEAL OSTOVICH, INVICTA FC 14
JOANNE CALDERWOOD VS ASHLEY CUMMINS, INVCITA FC 3

ONE Championship
ANGELA LEE VS XIONG JING NAN I, ONE: NEW ERA
YouTube
ANGELA LEE VS XIONG JIN NAN II, ONE: CENTURY YouTube
ANGELA LEE VS MEI YAMAGUCHI I, ONE: ASCENT TO POWER YouTube
STAMP FAIRTEX VS BI NGUYEN, ONE: MASTERS OF FATE YouTube

Other
RONDA ROUSEY VS MIESHA TATE I, STRIKEFORCE
SARAH KAUFMAN VS ALEXIS DAVIS, STRIKEFORCE
GINA CARANO VS JULIE KEDZIE, ELITEXC: DESTINY
YouTube
GINA CARANO VS CRIS CYBORG, STRIKEFORCE YouTube
MARLOES COENEN VS MIESHA TATE, STRIKEFORCE
SARAH KAUFMAN VS MIESHA TATE, STRIKEFORCE
ALEXIS DAVIS VS AMANDA NUNES, STRIKEFORCE
AYAKA HAMASAKI VS SEO HEE HAM II, RIZIN 20

Just watched Michelle Waterson vs. Jessica Penne at Invicta FC 5. At the time Penne was the atomweight champ and Waterson the challenger. Really good fight with a lot of back and forth grappling exchanges. The finish is surprising as it seemingly comes out of nowhere.

Joanna vs. Valentina should be on the must watch list. This is the highest technical level match in WMMA which is unlikely to be matched for quite some time. There's a lot of cool stuff in the clinch work, Joanna's takedown defence and standups when she got taken down, and of course the striking which we haven't seen in any other women's fight. Or men's fight for that matter, I still haven't seen any man check & counter low kicks the way Valentina does.

Seemingly Smogulecka lost her fight on points .... oh and welcome to wmma in our new dystopia

In case anyone hasn't seen this, it was posted today on the front page:

Monday Downtime - All Evolve Media Sites will be undergoing maintenance Monday March 30. This will occur during a window of 7 PM (Pacific Time) to Tuesday afternoon. We apologize for any inconvenience.

In case anyone hasn't seen this, it was posted today on the front page:

Monday Downtime - All Evolve Media Sites will be undergoing maintenance Monday March 30. This will occur during a window of 7 PM (Pacific Time) to Tuesday afternoon. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I had not, no. Thanks.

Don't know how many of you would have AT&T sportsnet, but as i type this, they're playing Penco vs Wojcik from EFC.

Wojcik stepped up on super short notice to replace Cheyanne Vlismas to take on then EFC champ Penco.

Just watched Michelle Waterson vs. Jessica Penne at Invicta FC 5. At the time Penne was the atomweight champ and Waterson the challenger. Really good fight with a lot of back and forth grappling exchanges. The finish is surprising as it seemingly comes out of nowhere.

I was lucky enough to be at this one (believe it was the first Invicta I covered in person). Still unbelievable how Michelle got out of that Armbar.

So who got drunk and made me a mod?

Yeah, for me, this is still the GOAT WMMA fight. People forget that Sugiyama was undefeated and ranked #1 at AW before Penne methodically destroyed her. So, going into this fight, I was like, "This will be a huge step up in competition for the Karate Hottie! (She will lose by a method of Penne's choosing)" Then, Waterson came out on fire with several near-subs. By the end of the 2nd round, I really started to think Waterson had it figured out. Then, Penne woke up and really laid it on Waterson in the 3rd (IIRC). Then, in a complete reversal of fortune, It just seemed like it was inevitable Jessica would assert herself and take over. She also had some close sub attempts and some great GnP. At the end of that round, it seemed like Penne had it all cinched up. Then...well, just when I think I know everything about MMA, I am reminded that anything can happen and predicting fight outcomes is like predicting cloud shapes. It's a great and exciting fight that I can watch any number of times.

Jarl

Status
Not open for further replies.