Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
People these days have no patience. As we already see fighters are growing out of 115 and moving up to 125. Prospects are starting to surface. For example the two bonus winners from the last Invicta. 125 also has a lot of "Marketable" fighters, mostly due to Bellator interesting scouting.

Also, 125 is a very common weight for female athletes, and once upon a time it was the most populated female class. To compare it to other classes one might also want to compare it to the number of fighters in said classes and do some basic math (not directed at you, Rizz). Quick search shows it still is.
dfasf.PNG

https://www.tapology.com/rankings/groups/current

Also, 125 is a very common weight for female athletes, and once upon a time it was the most populated female class. To compare it to other classes one might also want to compare it to the number of fighters in said classes and do some basic math (not directed at you, Rizz). Quick search shows it still is.
These stats are useless. There's no correlation between numbers of fighters and level of competition according to them, because 145 lbs division - barren wasteland is as "populated" as 125 lbs flyweight. UFC clearly is failing here for some reason, it's not like this division was formed 3 months ago. And where is this talent? Imagine situation when all 30+ female fighters retiring tomorrow. Who will stay? And 30+ female fighters are past physical prime.

A bit more from Frey on the failed cut and her future plans:

Valentina looked impressive once again, but one thing i don't get is why she's so hellbent on taking down every single opponent she fights. i enjoy watching grappling but when you're winning dominantly in the standup, why not continue doing what works every now and then. i guess there's a solid gameplan behind it all, and maybe she just feels the need to show off all her skills in every fight, but i wouldn't mind seeing her keeping it on the feet against Kaitlyn with the success she had there.

Valentina looked impressive once again, but one thing i don't get is why she's so hellbent on taking down every single opponent she fights. i enjoy watching grappling but when you're winning dominantly in the standup, why not continue doing what works every now and then. i guess there's a solid gameplan behind it all, and maybe she just feels the need to show off all her skills in every fight, but i wouldn't mind seeing her keeping it on the feet against Kaitlyn with the success she had there.

She mentions that in the post-fight press conference. Said it was her game plan for this one. At first she wanted to feel the strength of Katlyn's punches. Then get her to the ground where she could control and finish.

Last edited:

Because it gives her even more of an advantage over her opponents. It chews up clock time, keeps opponents guessing and throws them off their game, and it's free points on the scorecards. It's one more way for her to control the fight and demoralize her opponents. Breaking the flow of a fight is something Valentina's understood since she was a teen, there's a reason she always clinches and throws her opponents around in both Muay Thai and kickboxing; it breaks their flow so they can never settle into a rhythm and find their groove.

If it keeps fights from being a snooze fest like against Carmouche, I’m all for it.

what idiot matched chookagian up against bullet?
tenor.gif

Valentina's game has always incorporated a ton of wrestling. The idea that she is a striker is misleading, as she is much happier taking down opponents and landing GNP, and is also the best wrestler, by far, at 125. (Note the way she picked up and slammed Carmouche like a ragdoll, and Carmouche is arguably the second best wrestler at 125)

Furthermore, Valentina never, ever forces anything in her fights, but takes whatever her opponents give her. (Which is why figuring out whether she will win via stoppage or dominant decision is a fool's errand)

If her opponents give up easy takedowns, she will take that and simply maul them on the ground. "Why take unnecessary risks in the striking?" is her reasoning and I can't blame her.

I agree that Shevchenko is dominant on the feet, but the threat of her takedowns has to be helpful in that, just as her striking prowess opens up the takedown. She reminds me of GSP a bit, in that she comes from a striking background, yet has developed a dominant ground game as well.

These stats are useless. There's no correlation between numbers of fighters and level of competition according to them, because 145 lbs division - barren wasteland is as "populated" as 125 lbs flyweight. UFC clearly is failing here for some reason, it's not like this division was formed 3 months ago. And where is this talent? Imagine situation when all 30+ female fighters retiring tomorrow. Who will stay? And 30+ female fighters are past physical prime.

do you know numbers? Because 214 is not as populated as 551. It’s literally less than half.

Just watched the fights again. What the shitballs, Lee vs. Murphy was even more of a robbery than I thought. Andrea clearly won all 3 rounds; she landed more & harder strikes, won both the striking & grappling in round 3, and somehow 2 out of 3 judges scored it for Murphy with one of those glue eating retards giving all 3 rounds to her. Apparently, a 15 second takedown to nothing automatically wins a round. You literally cannot come up with those scores unless the judges only saw the last 20 seconds of each round. Andrea put together a good complete fight only to be robbed silly by the moron judges.

Valentina vs. Katlyn was pretty much as expected, it was either going to be a dominant decision or finish for Shevchenko. With the caveat that it's training for the cameras, there was an interesting piece of footage on episode 2 of Embedded where Katlyn was practising defence against side control after a clinch takedown. The way her training partner held & controlled her on the ground was completely different from the way Valentina does it and less effective, as soon as I saw that I had a feeling Katlyn was going to get wrecked on the ground.

Just watched the fights again. What the shitballs, Lee vs. Murphy was even more of a robbery than I thought. Andrea clearly won all 3 rounds; she landed more & harder strikes, won both the striking & grappling in round 3, and somehow 2 out of 3 judges scored it for Murphy with one of those glue eating retards giving all 3 rounds to her. Apparently, a 15 second takedown to nothing automatically wins a round. You literally cannot come up with those scores unless the judges only saw the last 20 seconds of each round. Andrea put together a good complete fight only to be robbed silly by the moron judges.

Valentina vs. Katlyn was pretty much as expected, it was either going to be a dominant decision or finish for Shevchenko. With the caveat that it's training for the cameras, there was an interesting piece of footage on episode 2 of Embedded where Katlyn was practising defence against side control after a clinch takedown. The way her training partner held & controlled her on the ground was completely different from the way Valentina does it and less effective, as soon as I saw that I had a feeling Katlyn was going to get wrecked on the ground.

I may need to start watching the embedded series.

I had to rewatch this to make sure I felt the same as live. And I think you're just blinded by your Lee love. I know you're the type to put a premium on leg/body kicks but to pretend that 90% of those lee landed were harder then the shots she was eating to the face is laughable. Takedowns arnt knockdowns but they score. Fact is lauren caught her clean and hard enough to knock her mouthpiece out 2x in round one. Her corner was right she should have been up 2-0 going into third.
The only convincing round lee got was the 3rd mostly because of slip after a bad flying knee that gave lee a good sub attempt and a strong 10 second flurry at the end.

the results from last month W.L.F. card are now up on tapology, including a one night mini-tourney at strawweight:
strawweight mini tourney:
La Bixiaoman def Ksenia Lachkova
Feier Huang def Polina Petukhova

Feier Huang def La Bixiaoman

Flyweight: Na Liang def Asia Klyutova

Flyweight: Qihui Yan def Soheila Mansourian

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/66070-wlf-w-a-r-s-41

both Lee and Murphy looked fatigued by their nerves in their fight, which is a shame given the enthusiastic reception they got from Houston.

it looked like Lee's mouthpiece was ill-fitting, hence why it kept slipping out. she did make a conscious effort to keep it in after the ref warning. my guess is that her usual mouthpiece got lost/left at home and had to make do with a short notice replacement - good mouthguards generally need to be fitted by a professional, yeah? I'm not talking those gel ones you buy from a chemist and boil in water.

the fight should have been judged a draw.

1x woman flyweight fight -
Lucia "The Pretty Beast" Krajčovič ( muay thai world champion and K1 european champion ) vs Michaela Dostálová ( BJJ Blackbelt)

1x woman Bantamweight Project Y finale -
Borodáčová vs Hašková
On -Oktagon PRIME3 15.2.2020-

Status
Not open for further replies.