Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Aldrich :)

Nice fight. Viana's early kicks were nice but her punching was really substandard, so with JJ having the clear advantage there it was up to her to keep the ground game/getting overpowered from fucking her over, which she did (loved how JJ actually won the ground exchange at the end of 2nd). Guard pull was the beginning of the end, Dean should have stood it up instead of clapping and going "Work!" though. Viana not doing really anything after just gave the fight away to Aldrich (of course JJ defended well). Gassing must suck :)

Aldrich :)

Nice fight. Viana's early kicks were nice but her punching was really substandard, so with JJ having the clear advantage there it was up to her to keep the ground game/getting overpowered from fucking her over, which she did (loved how JJ actually won the ground exchange at the end of 2nd). Guard pull was the beginning of the end, Dean should have stood it up instead of clapping and going "Work!" though. Viana not doing really anything after just gave the fight away to Aldrich (of course JJ defended well). Gassing must suck :)

Yeah, good description of the fight. I thought Viana might get it in the first round but JJ had excellent takedown defense and the times she was taken down she jumped up quickly. Viana needs to work on her stand up, especially in protecting her chin. Agree about Viana's guard pull. The announcers thought it was a good move & maybe it was in the sense that she was getting hit pretty hard while standing. Agree the ref should have stood it up. Viana was definitely gassed in the third round. Frustrated & exhausted. Credit to JJ who keeps improving, and to her corner for keeping her motivated after round one (which I thought Viana won).

I had to miss the fight but you are making me want to go back and watch it.

Definitely worth watching. Zhang's a real force, doesn't let up. All three judges gave round two to Taylor but I gave it to Zhang for a 30-27 victory rather than the 29-28 that she got. Let me know what you think.

I thought Viana might get it in the first round but JJ had excellent takedown defense and the times she was taken down she jumped up quickly.

Viana has shity TD skills. I don't understand why most female fighers from BJJ background haven't learnt single leg & double leg takedowns, it's like they learn nothing from Ronda's downfall.

Credit to JJ who keeps improving, and to her corner for keeping her motivated after round one (which I thought Viana won).

Yeah. I think this was a very good match for Aldrich in that way. She had early troubles and overcame, the team probably found some clear spots on where to concentrate improvement after last night. Interesting to see who they will match up with JJ next.

“Yoga will always win over Muay Thai in an MMA match”- Hana Date

I don’t know if this is where I should be posting this but I just needed to share this quote somewhere.

“Yoga will always win over Muay Thai in an MMA match”- Hana Date

I don’t know if this is where I should be posting this but I just needed to share this quote somewhere.

I'm sure that's right, after all Nicco is a yoga instructor and she's going to slaughter the muay thai girl at 228, but hang on, what's this Kalurica business?

EDIT: ok so yoga doesn't work every time.

228 is going to be quite something with all the big female fights. I hope Nico pulls off the impossible just to put the breaks on the insufferable Shevchenko hype train.

228 is going to be quite something with all the big female fights. I hope Nico pulls off the impossible just to put the breaks on the insufferable Shevchenko hype train.

Not very likely. I think she will make a good fight out of it, as she is far superior than idiots in the main give her credit for, with eight or nine wins that do not count on her pro record. She is tough and athletic, qualities that should never be overlooked. But I do not hesitate to pick Shevchenko by UD.

Okay, finally watched both WMMA fights.

Zhang is quite impressive. Things I like:
1. Lead leg side kick is quick and sharp.
2. Mostly keeps her hands up (drop sometimes while kicking).
3. Cut the cage well.
4. Wide striking arsenal.
5. Good awareness. When she slipped she turned it into a successful takedown attempt.

Taylor needs 105 and instructions on how to move forward. Throwing something other than a right hand and three kicks might help.

JJ/Viana: not the most impressive fight. Viana needs to spend a year focused on just learning the basics of boxing. If JJ had better hands, it would have been a short night for her. Both need a lot of work. JJ did show good grappling defense.

That was the best Danielle Taylor fight I can remember watching. It was not exciting but that was way better than her other fights. If Zhang can make a Taylor fight not absolutely terrible she must really be really exciting when fighting a normal fighter.

On the Polyana vs JJ fight, I think this was meant to be a showcase fight for Polyana. She got some hype after her debut. The problem is that the UFC decision makers are dumb enough not to take into account level of competition. Almost anyone can look good against Maia Stevenson. They are so eager to find a female draw that they are just taking shots in the dark. If a draw comes it will happen organically. A Ronda or a PVZ can't be forced. Look at PVZ she started on fightpass with no hype or promotion and she then stole the show with exciting fights. PVZ might not be an amazing fighter but she clearly had the "it" factor.

Have watched the Zhang/Taylor, Lookboonme/DATE, and Fujino Araujo fights. Thoughts:

1. Lookboonme is a beast with her elbows.Hana DATE is not a good fighter by any means, but she’s sort of like Danielle Taylor in that pretty much nobody looks good against her. Well, until Zhang and Lookboonme came around, respectively. DATE had only been finished once before, against the far more experience Saori Ishioka by armbar. I said earlier in the thread that DATE would come out of this fight messed up, and between the forehead vagina and the hematoma, she certainly did.

2. Fujino is old and had been fighting weaker competition the last few years, and it showed against Araujo, who just had her number. Araujo used her range excellently to keep Fujino at bay, and even did well when she took it to the ground, which is where Fujino excels. Pan raise might want to let either of them go to Invicta, though. Fujino tomsee if she still has it, and Araujo to get a step up in comp.

3. Zhang and Taylor both true to form for them. Zhang, like her compatriot Yan Xiaonan, is a a beast of aggression, always moving forward. Taylor was her typical self, a 5’0” chick who thinks she’s an out fighter/counter puncher.Glad Zhang looked well in her debut, and send Taylor back to the regionals. I don’t want her stinking up Invicta cards. Better yet, send her to Road FC, so Ham can get revenge.

I don’t want her stinking up Invicta cards. Better yet, send her to Road FC, so Ham can get revenge.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. That damn match still makes my rear hurt randomly with no warning, from time to time. :(

On the Polyana vs JJ fight, I think this was meant to be a showcase fight for Polyana. She got some hype after her debut. The problem is that the UFC decision makers are dumb enough not to take into account level of competition. Almost anyone can look good against Maia Stevenson. They are so eager to find a female draw that they are just taking shots in the dark. If a draw comes it will happen organically. A Ronda or a PVZ can't be forced. Look at PVZ she started on fightpass with no hype or promotion and she then stole the show with exciting fights. PVZ might not be an amazing fighter but she clearly had the "it" factor.
I sort of disagree. You can't just sit back and let things happen. Fight promoters have to be proactive and stars have to be created and promoted. Ronda was already popular and her popularity in Strikeforce changed Dana White's opinion on WMMA. Then UFC pushed the hell out of her and made her a superstar. PVZ already was popular cause of her looks before UFC even pushed her.

A lot of people have been crapping on Polyana vs JJ being on the main card of a PPV. Viana's amateur level striking didn't change many minds. But I rather them be more aggressive with fighters like Viana, and attempt to treat them like stars with high spots on the card, if they truly believe they have that ability.

A lot of people have been crapping on Polyana vs JJ being on the main card of a PPV. Viana's amateur level striking didn't change many minds. But I rather them be more aggressive with fighters like Viana, and attempt to treat them like stars with high spots on the card, if they truly believe they have that ability.

OK, but was there anything to believe 'fighters like Viana' were worthy of that yet? She has no significant wins, no significant credentials, they were going on nothing. Plus the matchup was horrible - Alrich is very mobile, but also poses little threat of doing much damage. MMA Vivisection was all over Aldritch, the Gambling subforum was all over Alrdich, I even bet on Aldrich - anyone who had reason to be interested could have seen this happening - you'd like to think the UFC matchmakers would have some clue too!

Either of the other planned women's fights would have been a better choice for the main card - Zhang was probably the most exciting prospect outside the UFC (they also gave her a bad matchup 'excitement wise' but Zhang managed to impress nonetheless), or Aldana (pretty, hard hitting, with an easy target for her to blast holes in in Superstar Bethe Corriera). Yet they chose that? Doesn't make sense.
Heck Zhang vs Viana would have been better (Zhang would have blown Viana's head off)

Last edited:
I liked seeing Aldrich on the main card.

Unfortunately that also meant I had to stay awake to the main card. Went to sleep after, the rest of the fights could wait until mornin (and spoilers). :)

I liked seeing Aldrich on the main card.

I guess it was nice to see her have that opportunity, but most people hated the fight (TBH I can see why), and are being fuelled by that in dumping all over 228's card, which features 3 genuinely interesting, top tier WMMA matchups, and is likely to be a ratings bomb, which could have repercussions.

(Hope I'm wrong about the ratings but they've been struggling across the board this year and Main Eventer Woodley has killed the crowd dead with his last 3 borefests)

I sort of disagree. You can't just sit back and let things happen. Fight promoters have to be proactive and stars have to be created and promoted. Ronda was already popular and her popularity in Strikeforce changed Dana White's opinion on WMMA. Then UFC pushed the hell out of her and made her a superstar. PVZ already was popular cause of her looks before UFC even pushed her.

Promotions can't create stars. If they could why are we so lacking in stars now? What promotions do is give fighters with star potential platforms where they can reach the most people. This is why Bellator has never created a star the levels of a Ronda or Conor yet. They just don't have the reach possible to do it. While promoting fighters is the job of the promotion. The problem with that is the devil is in the details. You just can't promote anyone. You have to know who to promote, how to promote them and when to promote them. Just picking a random cute girl is a waste of resources because chances are they won't last.

On the subject of Ronda you sound like you agree with me. You said Ronda was popular in Strikeforce and that changed Dana's might right? Well that happened organically like I said. The UFC did not try to force it too early. After Ronda's debut fight they did not sign her to the UFC and put her on a PPV. They gave her a small step up in comp(Julia Budd). Then the whole Tate vs Ronda fued began to takeoff with their interview on the MMA Hour. This is all organic and not forced by the UFC. Only after all of this is when they put their full promotional force behind Ronda and Miesha.

The PVZ thing was organic also. She began on a fightpass card. She got no hype or promotion for it. All she was known for was being too young to be on TUF and getting her butt kicked by Tecia Torres in Invicta. That fight got FOTN and the whole arena gave her a standing ovation. That is when she began getting popular. Her next fight was not on a PPV it was on a FOX card against another "marketable" fighter. After PVZ got past Felice and also got a standing ovation in this fight she began to get the push and her 1st PPV. Polyana went staight from subbing Maia Stevenson to a PPV. She did not even show much in the fight because it was so fast.

Last edited:
Back