Official Women's Division Discussion #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
She trained elsewhere for this fight, did some training with Kitaoka and Sarami. Probably little to 0 chance of her ever training outside of Japan. She is starting to show some clear improvements though, her striking has looked a lot better her last 2 fights (a lot less wasted strikes and bouncing around from a mile away as well as she seems to have a bit more bite on her strikes) and though we didn't really get to see much of it this fight, her gnp has gotten a lot more powerful lately.

Wow, really? Surprising, thank you for the info. And yes, no way she will ever be allowed to train outside of Japan.

Wow, really? Surprising, thank you for the info. And yes, no way she will ever be allowed to train outside of Japan.
CzuL8BZW8AEX6uD.jpg

My explanation of the hit and don't be hit stats, for Rousey, is that--for her early fights, at least, where she was looking for an armbar win--her game plan was not about hitting or avoiding hitting. She always moves forward as a tactic. She doesn't mind taking a hit or two to gain a clinch, once in a clinch she doesn't mind taking a hit or two to gain a judo throw, once on the ground she doesn't mind taking a few hits to sink an armbar (she actually wants an extended arm to grab)..

Pena's position on the graph might have a somewhat similar explanation, she also mainly wants to get her opponents to the ground, no? And she doesn't mind taking some hits to achieve that.

Last edited:
I generally favor strikers over grapplers, but after reading the threads in the UFC section, I want Ronda to win just to hear people cry. Then, assuming Shevchenko beats Nunes, she could be set up for a fight with Ronda, which would really raise her profile.

I generally favor strikers over grapplers, but after reading the threads in the UFC section, I want Ronda to win just to hear people cry. Then, assuming Shevchenko beats Nunes, she could be set up for a fight with Ronda, which would really raise her profile.
Valentina would Holly Rounda.

Valentina would Holly Rounda.

I can't imagine that Rousey will continue to charge in throwing strikes. That sure didn't work out well for her. If she is patient and more conservative, it seems like she would fare better than she did against Holm. Guess we will find out tomorrow.

I can't imagine that Rousey will continue to charge in throwing strikes. That sure didn't work out well for her. If she is patient and more conservative, it seems like she would fare better than she did against Holm. Guess we will find out tomorrow.

It might be better for Ronda if it is Amanda that charges in throwing strikes. But I think Ronda has no chance beating Amanda if the striking stays at distance, I think Amanda just takes Ronda apart that way. Ronda needs to get to a clinch. If Amanda doesn't charge in, then Ronda needs to do so.

Ronda's charging in was actually successful at getting Holly into a clinch. It is just that Holly was well-trained to defeat Ronda's throw attempts.

What else can she do? She punches her way into the clinch. It's what she does.

If Amanda stays outside and potshots her she'll wreck her.

I think Amanda will do something stupid though.

What else can she do? She punches her way into the clinch. It's what she does.

If Amanda stays outside and potshots her she'll wreck her.

I think Amanda will do something stupid though.

I was wondering if Rousey would try to close the distance WITHOUT throwing crappy strikes (and opening herself up to counterstriking.) However, as @Mark Zima noted, her judo throws might not get the job done. Will Nunes try to throw any kicks? Could Rousey manage a takedown from catching a kick?

I can't imagine it's a fight that will go to decision. Does Nunes have footwork like Holm?

I generally favor strikers over grapplers, but after reading the threads in the UFC section, I want Ronda to win just to hear people cry.
B-but Ronda has only fought one REAL fighter (striker) who she lost to and is now facing her second REAL fighter (striker), unlike soccer mom Tate who beat Holm and soccer moms Zingano and Davis who beat Nunes. Also Olympian McMann clearly isn't a real fighter either, wrestling isn't real fighting.

lol

B-but Ronda has only fought one REAL fighter (striker) who she lost to and is now facing her second REAL fighter (striker), unlike soccer mom Tate who beat Holm and soccer moms Zingano and Davis who beat Nunes.

Too much time in the main section.

:)

Despite her killing my 2 favorite female fighters (she was my third fave), I love Amanda. How can she be such a beast...

Cardio is overrated, power punching is where it's at these days lol.

That was very cool for Nunes. I hope UFC and her management team are now wise enough to ride that wave created by destroying Ronda.

Rin was more entertaining, though. How did the insane Gabi freakshow look like?

The whole fight I envisioned Nunes wearing that lion mask as she laid waste to Rousey.

The UFC 135 pound champion was beaten in Invicta FC 4 years ago by Sarah D'Alelio who now fights in Bellator at 125. UFC fighters need to take a look at that fight and see what D'Alelio did. Nunes was also beaten by Zingano 2.25 years ago. I watched that on YouTube and Nunes took Zingano down early in the first round and was on top for that round. And then Zingano spent most of the time on top in the last two rounds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back