Official Women's Division Discussion #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vaguely recall Honchak's original statement declaring she had relocated and, since her new life introduced greater priorities, was relinquishing her title and uncertain when she could fight again.

SLWY1IN.gif

Tiffany Timebomb needs to drop to atomweight she looked way too small compared to her opponent

Not the most action packed Invicta this time around, but it was okay.

Pity about Frey. I thought she was going to win that. She was certainly on track.

Although that Van Soost girl lost, the brief glimpses of her striking were pretty impressive.

Aldana looked good. Don't know how she'll go in a rematch against Evinger though.

I thought Roxy won the fight 3-2. The deciding judge had it 49-46 which was just stupid.

What did you guys think about the Jinh Yu Frey fight? I thought she was slightly ahead before the cut and was sad to see it stopped. She had rocked Ham earlier in the round and even though she was taken down a couple of times, I thought she got up pretty fast. That cut was pretty nasty though, I would hate to see what another shot to the temple would have done to it.

JHFrey2_zpsqoh7betl.jpg

JHFrey1_zpsftrb9r10.jpg

What did you guys think about the Jinh Yu Frey fight? I thought she was slightly ahead before the cut and was sad to see it stopped. She had rocked Ham earlier in the round and even 89mmthough she was taken down a couple of times, I thought she got up pretty fast. That cut was pretty nasty though, I would hate to see what another shot to the temple would have done to it.

JHFrey2_zpsqoh7betl.jpg

JHFrey1_zpsftrb9r10.jpg

It was certainly a close fight, but the stoppage was justified. If nothing else, the stop will only help to build up the rematch. There's no telling how that one would've played out (had the cut not stopped it.) One thing is for sure. I certainly didn't expect Hamaski to wobble Yu Frey and end the fight with a gnarly combo.
Hamasaki is incredibly skilled, but I don't know that I'd like to see her at 115. That's a huge jump. There are some big killers at 115. Holliday would've tossed Hamasaki right out of the cage. Hamasaki could handle herself at 115, but I don't think she would shine the way she does at 105. I really enjoy her fights.

Quite the dilemma, personally I think she should go to the UFC.

Weili Zhang beat Maira Mazar this morning, and gets a cool belt.

Hamasaki isn't tiny the way a Julia Jones/Bi Nguyen are tiny. Yu Frey & Hamasaki redline to make that weight. Hamasaki is still probably top 5 at 115, definitely top 10. I'd be thrilled for her to go to UFC.

Last edited:
i thought invicta was good, kaitlin youngs matchmaking is already looking better.
freys stoppage was a good one, in that position the cut could have caused real damage had they let it go on.
theres always the rematch.
i had maia winning 3 rounds to 2, was pissed at the crowd booing her after that 5 round scrap, roxy did well but faded a little at the end.
i was also surprised how long van soest lasted against a strong wrestler.

Invicta 19 delivered for the most part for me.

- Kaline with some bigass TDs was nice to see. She's a likable girl. & i'm forgetting what her opponents name was but she looked promising early but just never got it together I guess.

- Leibrock is all aggression.

- Love watching Aldana fight. Pretty crisp striking on that girl & Faith was landing some big ones which worried me. But i'll admit, that finish was as much of a, "oh boy, I give up...stop, please stop" type of finish i've ever seen :p
She went full Bob Sapp. Still a great performance from Irene though.

- TVS loss was upsetting. Showed great survival skills though & looked like she knew what she was doing on the ground. Enough to survive anyways. I sighed right when Kal got onto her. Was sad to see that her patented spinning back elbow be her downfall but that was something I totally imagined. That strike is so natural for her & throwing it against a grappler just isn't going to lead to the best outcome. She should just work on grappling only if she decides to keep at MMA.

- Hamasaki vs Frey was pretty good & interesting. Found it hilarious how Sanko said Hamasaki was dominating before the fight ended...she saw the first round right..? Invicta shill.. :p
Nice finishing combo whether it should have been stopped or not. That cut was very gnarly though.

- That main event was very fun. Very, very good entertaining fight I thought. I want to see the stats cause man, they were throwing a lot. I think the decision was just fine. I had it either 48-47 or 49-46 for Maia. Expected Roxxy to get one judge's vote too. Impressive stuff from each girl. Of course, feels for Roxxy but Maia is good... Those damn Maia's! :D

Well, I really wish Roxanne would have won. No, not complaining about the decision, she is just very cool in the uber-nerd sort of way.

Invicta card was entertaining as usual :)

Glad the 145er fight ended impressively.

Van Duin had her moments against Aldana, but all in all looked to be in rather bad shape. Wonder if it was because of the weight cut? Btw, does she want to move to 135 permanently or was this just a one time thing?

A little sad that Roxy didn't get the belt (tho I don't necessarily disagree with the decision), but good fight.

Holy shit I just noticed we went a bit past 1000 posts! :p

Will open up big numero 20 soon! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back