Official Women's Division Discussion #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be difficult to put together a roster of 15+ competitive women at 125?

You could build a flyweight division around Ariane Lipski, Julia Berezikova, Shizuka Sugiyama, Muscles Nakai, Veronica Macedo, Silvana Jaurez, Kalindra Faria, Brogan Walker, and a few more Chinese or Brazilians before you even dip into the UFC/Invicta/Bellator talent pool.

Clearing some space in UFC's 115 lbs. division would be a good thing too. Souza, Hill, Mizuki, and Grasso are basically better prospects than most of the fighters they'll be replacing. Does it really matter if Val & Bec Rawlings go up?

Only problem I see with adding another division is that UFC already has trouble getting most fighters more than two fights per year. Too many fighters on the roster.

I've been all hopped up on the idea of a women's 125 division in the UFC, but I'm curious if there are enough top competitors to warrant the addition. I'm sure a few would be poached from Invicta. Maybe a few going up from 115 and/or down from 135. Would it be difficult to put together a roster of 15+ competitive women at 125?
Just absorb Invicta's Flyweight division <42>

In my opinion, the strawweight division doesn't need 30+ fighters. I hate to be that guy but ladies like Alex Chambers and Angela Magana should be fighting where they can be more competitive. I believe the sport would grow faster - and be more accepted - having a smaller roster with the top talent competing on a more regular basis than having a saturated pool where the skill gap between the top and bottom are too great with long waits between fights. Having each of the three divisions include between 15-20 fighters would be ideal from my perspective until enough good talent enters the sport to warrant a larger roster.

In my opinion, the strawweight division doesn't need 30+ fighters. I hate to be that guy but ladies like Alex Chambers and Angela Magana should be fighting where they can be more competitive. I believe the sport would grow faster - and be more accepted - having a smaller roster with the top talent competing on a more regular basis than having a saturated pool where the skill gap between the top and bottom are too great with long waits between fights. Having each of the three divisions include between 15-20 fighters would be ideal from my perspective until enough talent enters the sport to warrant a larger roster.
Agreed! Get Mangana & Chambers outta there! :p :D

Agreed! Get Mangana & Chambers outta there! :p :D
images

In my opinion, the strawweight division doesn't need 30+ fighters. I hate to be that guy but ladies like Alex Chambers and Angela Magana should be fighting where they can be more competitive. I believe the sport would grow faster - and be more accepted - having a smaller roster with the top talent competing on a more regular basis than having a saturated pool where the skill gap between the top and bottom are too great with long waits between fights. Having each of the three divisions include between 15-20 fighters would be ideal from my perspective until enough good talent enters the sport to warrant a larger roster.

I'm curious as to why such a plan hasn't already been implemented. Would it be unreasonable to have fighters competing an average of three times per year? Unless someone is consistently winning bonuses, it seems as though one would need three fights per year in order to make a living. For women specifically, Invicta could almost be a "minor league" from which fighters could go back and forth. I imagine that contracts could be created where UFC fights would receive much higher pay, but a fighter could choose to take a fight with Invicta if they have been inactive (gotta pay the bills and avoid ring rust.)

I guess I'd just like to see some fighters competing more often (both men and women.) Hopefully, the 125 will become a reality and help move things up to the next level. As Daniel4802 mentioned, it would likely help both the sport itself and the level of competition to grow.

Soooo, Rawlings is on a win streak? Was there another line-up for inactive win streak? As rarely as a lot of the SWs compete, I've gotta wonder if there aren't some that also have two consecutive wins. Someone needs to stop Rawlings' run! I believe Jedrzejczyk may be the one for the job. Here's to hoping the UFC will feed Rawlings into that grinder (so that the lovely KK can stay in tact for a while longer.)

and much as i like jojo, she is too slow and outside of a spinning knockdown or a liver shot by knee, would get beaten.
still, never say never :D
i still see grasso as a big threat though.

I don't know. Jo Jo is slow, but her her elbows, knees, and her teeps are money. And she has the length to safely utilize her teeps all night.

On a side note, Grasso really needs to be in the UFC. I'm hard pressed to name 3 fighters that I'd for sure pick over her.

I don't know. Jo Jo is slow, but her her elbows, knees, and her teeps are money. And she has the length to safely utilize her teeps all night.

On a side note, Grasso really needs to be in the UFC. I'm hard pressed to name 3 fighters that I'd for sure pick over her.

I don't know If I'd go so far as to say Calderwood is "slow." I'll just say she's not as quick as some of the smaller competitors. However, there is definitely a little more meat on her strikes. My favorite JoJo is the ruthless and unforgiving JoJo. If she performs as well at 115 as she recently did at 125, I'd like to see her fight for the title. Andrade will be a heck of a challenge, though.

If JoJo were to face Jedrzejczyk, whose teeps would win? It seems that they both like to utilize them. I sure hope we get to see that fight (maybe at 125 :D.)

and much as i like jojo, she is too slow and outside of a spinning knockdown or a liver shot by knee, would get beaten.
still, never say never :D
I don't think she's slow per say,more a stalking/plodding style,i really see her giving JJ a tough night,if she can overcome Andrade.

did Anderson Silva reset his middleweight win streak when he smashed Forest Griffin at Light Heavy ?..Jojo is on a 2 win streak,does It really make a difference that one was at 125 ? Her and Val are still Strawweights,and it would've stopped the bogan being mentioned alongside relevant fighters like JJ & KK.

I don't think she's slow per say,more a stalking/plodding style,i really see her giving JJ a tough night,if she can overcome Andrade.

Agree. Not so slow, but heavy on her feet. Odd to say about a woman who weighs half of what I do.

All WMMA fight results for the month of July, courtesy of WMMA today blog https://wmmatoday.wordpress.com/

Friday – 1st
(105) – Bi Nguyen defeats Andy Nguyen via Unanimous Decision at Legacy FC 57

(135) – Joselyne Laboriel defeats Yacqueline Arosemena via Submission(strikes) in round 1 at UCC 29

Iron Man Championship Fight 20
(115) – Leticia Lima defeats Ana Leao via Split Decision
(115) – Samara Santos defeats ‘Lulu Guerreira’ via Unanimous Decision

Saturday – 2nd
(125) – Ann Osman defeats Haiat Farag via Armbar at 3:59 of round 1 at ONE Championship: Dynasty of Champions 6

(125) – Meng Bo defeats Marija Malenica via Armbar in round 1 at Superstar Fight 4

(135) – Rayane Bastos defeats Danielle Falcao via Split Decision at REC Combat 6

(125) – Shanie Rusth defeats Faye Shields via TKO at :10 of round 1 at Gladiator Challenge: American Pride

(115) – Patrícia Adria defeats Paula Rocha via TKO at 2:30 of round 2 at Dantas Fight 6

ROAD FC 032
(123) – Heqin Lin defeats Nori Date via Unanimous Decision
(102) – Ye Ji Lee defeats Hana Date via Majority Decision

Final Fight 6: Night of Champions
(122) – Pamela Barum defeats Monica Romero via Unanimous Decision
(122) – Monica Romero defeats Tiare Toral via Unanimous Decision

Spartacus/HCC 1: Champions Challenge
(125) – Emanuela Ferreira defeats Maria ‘Doida’ Mendes via TKO in round 1
(115) – Natália Cristina Silva defeats Gabriela Souza via TKO(doctor stoppage) in round 1

Sunday – 3rd
Brave Fight 13
(105) – Yuko Kiryu defeats Renju Date via RNC at 3:09 of round 2
(105) – Ayumi Misaka defeats Mari Date via Unanimous Decision

Thursday – 7th
(125) – Kanako Murata defeats Ilona Wijmans via TKO at 1:17 of round 1 at Shoot Boxing Girls S-Cup 2016

Friday – 8th
(138) – Veronica Macedo defeats Karine Gevorgyan via Inverted Heel Hook in round 3 at Mix Fight Events

(125) – Brogan Walker defeats Kate da Silva via Unanimous Decision at PXC 54

(125) – Concy Oliveira defeats Leticia Lima via TKO in round 3 at Brutality Fight Championship 7

(xxx) – Anna Kuzmenko defeats Alla Lesovaya via RNC in round 1 at MMA Pro Ukraine: On the Edge 2

TUF 23 Finale
(115 title) – Joanna Jędrzejczyk defeats Claudia Gadelha via Unanimous Decision
(115) – Tatiana Suarez defeats Amanda Bobby Cooper via Brabo Choke at 3:43 of round 1

Saturday – 9th
UFC 200
(135 title) – Amanda Nunes defeats Miesha Tate via RNC at 3:16 of round 1
(135) – Julianna Peña defeats Cat Zingano via Unanimous Decision

Batalha MMA 3
(135) – Luana Carolina defeats Jessica Negrão via KO(elbows) in round 1
(140) – Mariza Loch defeats Rosemary Amorim via Unanimous Decision

Aspera FC 41
(115) – Marina Rodriguez defeats Vanessa Guimarães via Triangle Choke at 1:47 of round 2
(105) – Thaiane Souza defeats Silvania Monteiro via Unanimous Decision
(135) – Talita de Oliveira defeats Gisele Moreira via Unanimous Decision

Sunday – 10th
(119) – Weili Zhang defeats Liliya Kazak via KO(head kick) in round 2 at Kunlun Fight 47

Wednesday – 13th
UFC Fight Night 91
(135) – Katlyn Chookagian defeats Lauren Murphy via Unanimous Decision
(115) – Cortney Casey defeats Cristina Stanciu via TKO at 2:36 of round 1

Friday 15th
(135) – Calie Cutler defeats Mariah Prussia via TKO at :49 of round 3 at RFA 40

(125) – Hara Dimitroula defeats Anastazija Petrovic via TKO at 2:23 of round 2 at Fight Night King Pyrros 2

Saturday – 16th
(135) – Marissa Caldwell defeats Gina Begley via RNC at 1:43 of round 1 at Hardrock MMA 81

(135) – Bruna Felício defeats Michele ‘Divina’ da Silva via Armbar at 2:45 of round 1 at NP Fight Night 2

Sunday – 17th
(105) – Kanna Asakura defeats Mikiko Hiyama via RNC at 3:43 of round 1 at Shooto Japan

Friday – 22nd
(115) – Mackenzie Dern defeats Kenia Rosas via Unanimous Decision at Legacy FC 58

(115) – Solange Tirolli defeats Luci Moral via TKO in round 1 at Reborn Strike Fight

Bellator MMA 159
(125) – Emily Ducote defeats Bruna Vargas via RNC at :29 of round 2
(125) – Jessica Middleton defeats Bruna Ellen via Unanimous Decision

Saturday – 23rd
(125) – Sarah D’Alelio defeats Jenny Liou via Unanimous Decision at SFL America Team Challenge: Seattle vs LA

(135) – Lauren Mueller defeats Hannah Fitzpatrick via Unanimous Decision at Gladiator Challenge: Freedom Strikes

(xxx) – Lizianne Silveira defeats Juliana Araújo via Split Decision at Action Fight 3

UFC on FOX 20
(135) – Valentina Shevchenko defeats Holly Holm via Unanimous Decision
(115) – Felice Herrig defeats Kailin Curran via RNC at 1:59 of round 1

BCMMA 16
(135 title) – Kerry Hughes defeats Clemence Schreiber via Unanimous Decision
(115 title) – Bryony Tyrell defeats Mellony Geugjes via Unanimous Decision

FMP 36
(135) – Vanelly Sanchez defeats Nirvana Barron Lugo via TKO in round 1
(115) – Alejandra Orozco defeats Andrea Garcia via TKO in round 2

Big Way Fight Night 2
(135) – Franciele Nascimento defeats Fabiulane Silva via RNC at 2:16 of round 1
(135) – Deborah Alves defeats Nalva Freitas via TKO at 4:20 of round 1

Sunday – 24th
Pancrase 279
(125) – Rin Nakai defeats Emiko Raika via TKO at 2:43 of round 3
(115) – Syuri Kondo defeats Nicolle Angelica Caliari via Unanimous Decision

Friday – 29th
Invicta FC 18
(115) – Alexa Grasso defeats Jodie Esquibel via Unanimous Decision
(125) – Agnieszka Niedźwiedź defeats Christine Stanley via Unanimous Decision
(115) – MIZUKI defeats Lynn Alvarez via Armbar at 3:00 of round 2
(135) – Cindy Dandois defeats Jessamyn Duke via Scarf Hold Armlock at 1:33 of round 1
(145) – Megan Anderson defeats Peggy Morgan via TKO at 4:09 of round 1
(105) – Tessa Simpson defeats Simona Soukupova via Unanimous Decision
(135) – Aspen Ladd defeats Jessica Hoy via TKO at 3:14 of round 2
(135) – Sijara Eubanks defeats AmberLynn Orr via TKO at 4:41 of round 1

Saturday – 30th
(115) – Karolina Kowalkiewicz defeats Rose Namajunas via Split Decision at UFC 201

(135) – Jessy Jess defeats Janay Harding via Unanimous Decision at Eternal MMA 19

(135) – Leah Letson defeats Sarah Payant via TKO in round 1 at Premier FC 20

(115) – Fernanda Priscila defeats Ana Jeize via Armbar in round 1 at Punch Fight MMA

(125 title) – Simone Duarte defeats Bianca Daimoni via Split Decision at Jungle Fight 89

(135 interim title) – Pam Sorenson defeats Brenda Gonzales-Means via Unanimous Decision at KOTC: Natural Instinct

(132) – Jess Doueihi defeats Belinda Sedgwick via TKO in round 1 at Star Wars K1 Fight Series

(115) – Virna Jandiroba defeats Cristiane Lima via RNC in round 1 at Fight On 3

Araucaria Combat 6
(125) – Marta Souza defeats Sidy Rocha via Unanimous Decision
(135) – Kezia Zbonik defeats Alexandra Alves via TKO in round 1
(121) – Adriana del Vigna defeats Edna Trakinas via Unanimous Decision

WSOF-GC 3: Philippines
(105) – Jujeath Nagaowa defeats Yuko Kiryu via Unanimous Decision
(115) – Nayara Hemily defeats Jenelyn Olsim via RNC in round 2
(115) – Katherine Roy defeats May Ooi via Unanimous Decision

Sunday – 31st
(128) – Jingnan Xiong defeats Mona Samir via TKO in round 1 at Kunlun Fight 48

Jojo is on a 2 win streak,does It really make a difference that one was at 125 ?
Yeah. That is the whole point of weight-class.

But i get it, Bec presence on that list is weird. Save us Paige.

Mackenzie Dern will be champion very soon. Just sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back