Locked Official Women's Division Discussion #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coenen vs Budd title fight is official for Bellator 155... headlining the prelims.
Reminds me of the times when Sarah Kaufman's title fights were on the Strikeforce Challengers cards.
She complained about it (rightfully so imo). Unfortunately she then promptly lost when it was finally placed on a regular Strikeforce card.

Even if all they did was make you lose water weight they likely still be banned in sports with weigh ins due to the health risks of using them for extreme weight cutting. Draining yourself completely is bad enough, but either spiking your potassium levels (spironolactone) or depleting them (furosemide and hydrochlorothiazide) at the same time is likely a lot worse.

Yep the National Institutes of Health lists that (as a weight-cutting tool) along with flushing other substances as the two primary reasons they are banned.

Diuretics were first banned in sport (both in competition and out of competition) in 1988 because they can be used by athletes for two primary reasons. First, their potent ability to remove water from the body can cause a rapid weight loss that can be required to meet a weight category in sporting events. Second, they can be used to mask the administration of other doping agents by reducing their concentration in urine primarily because of an increase in urine volume. The urine dilution effect of diuretics also allows them to be classified as masking agents and precludes their use both in and out of competition.

So disappointed by this, Coenen is a former Strikeforce Champion, a long time pioneer of WMMA, and the #2 fighter at 145. She deserves the main card at least!

It seems like any title fight should be on a main card - or else eliminate the division if there is so little interest people don't even want to see title fights.

At this point, I do not believe any professional athletes who pretends that they don't know diuretics are banned in their respective sport.

shes not exactly begging for fights, not that im bothered about that
She actually mentioned something on Facebook or Instagram the other day that she's waiting for a fight offer. In the meantime, she's training for another shot at American Ninja Warrior.

The idea that a fighter has to beg for a fight is disgusting. Felice may not be the best fighter, but she is fan friendly easy (enough) on the eyes, and has a huge social media presence. It's a shame she lost to PVZ.

Being a woman in MMA

markos.jpg

Randa Markos said:
Women’s MMA has come a long way. From rumours saying that there will never be women in the UFC, to having two weight classes jammed with talent and exciting fights. We have had so many women pave the way for the rest of us to make our mark now and in the future. These women have worked so hard to give the rest of us the respect we deserve inside and outside of the gym. We have gone from changing the mind of the head of the UFC Dana White, to MMA fans around the world.

Training as a female in a male dominated sport, I felt that I needed to gain respect by constantly proving myself. Coming from a wrestling background, I was prepared and didn't feel as intimidated when I walked into a room full of guys. I felt that it was more of a challenge for the men to get used to having me as a training partner. Nobody wanted to be partners with a girl, thinking they would get less of a workout with me. Guys would try and take it really easy on me, saying they didn't want to hurt me. I'm sure most women have gone through similar situations, but I just kept working hard. If they went light on me, I would go all out until they picked up the aggression and they started treating me the same as they guys, but without taking my head off. All of my training partners were guys of all sizes. At first I felt that this would be a big advantage for me. The guys were faster, stronger, and more explosive. One of the disadvantages was that I never knew if I was doing well, or if the guys were taking it easy on me. As competition became more challenging, I realized that training with women was a different kind of training all together, and something that I would need.

Women have a different body type. They are more flexible, some are double jointed, and they are harder to control on the ground and the fence. One of the biggest benefits of training with other women is that sparring sessions become like actual fights. When we, women, train with other women, I find that we have something to prove. We end up trying to take each other’s heads off, especially when we are in the same weight class. I feel that now is a great time for any women deciding if they should join a sport like MMA (wrestling, judo, etc.) to give it a shot. We have proven that we deserve the respect. Most MMA women have all started off shattering stereotypes by joining a boxing gym or a wrestling team, so that we could pursue something that we found fun or exciting. If we let our gender or the people saying that women’s sports will never be interesting stop us, just think of all the great female athletes that wouldn't be where they are today. We all face challenges. As women we have been facing challenges since the beginning, and we are still breaking boundaries every single day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back