Television Official Star Trek DS9 Thread

I've watched all of Voyager but I couldn't get into DS9 due to moving around. One difference with Sisko Vs. the other Captains is... Sisko doesn't bluff. When they let Avery Brooks ACT, man did he ever!

"I'm glad you feel you can be direct with me. Now let me be equally direct with you. The mines stay."

"Rocks and Shoals"

The stranded Defiant is attacked in space and chased into a nebula, where they crash land on a planet.
Unknown to them, a Jem'Hadar ship has also been crippled on the surface; there isn't enough Ketracel white for the ten soldiers, and the Vorta is in need of surgery.

Bashir treats the Vorta. Knowing he doesn't have enough white to control the ailing soldiers, the Vorta gives the upcoming battle plan to Sisko so that they can be ambushed. The Jem'Hadar soldiers are slaughtered after a brief parlay between Sisko and their First.

On the station, there's an undercurrent of rebellious sentiment building. A visiting Vedek exhorts Kira to form a resistance cell, Kira demurs. The Vedek hangs herself in protest of the Dominion occupation threat to Bajor. Kira and Odo begin plans to undermine the Cardassian and Dominion presence on DS9.

briefly... always good to see outdoor locations. The tension between sides on the planet is well executed as is the drama between Sisko and the First, established on mutual respect.
I typically don't like the whole French resistance Bajoran parallel, finding it a bit heavy handed, but the Vedek hanging herself was a sharp story point. It reinforces Kira's character motivation.

qfqLX7T.gif

I find it interesting how Damar went from almost a no-name henchman to being a drunkard puppet leader to being an actual resistance leader.

Side note

I never really liked Jake as a character, nor the actor who portrayed him. I realize his relationship with his father is supposed to be the emotional core of the show but it just doesn't work for me.

The "Jake is a writer" arc is kinda dumb.
He was a young kid, so I give him slack. I just saw this pic of him and Aron Eisenberg (Nog) at STLV from 2 weeks ago, and its is crazy how much he looks like Avery Brooks during DS9. Pretty crazy for not being related. Apparently in RL the have a father son relationship, and still talk a few times a week.

actors-cirroc-lofton-and-aron-eisenberg-attend-day-4-of-creation-picture-id1012080382

We've talked about this a bunch in the main ST thread, but for any DS9 fans, there is still time to preorder the new DS9 documentary, What we left behind, being made by DS9 showruuner(and current showrunner of Outlander) Ira Steven Behr.

The film is finished, and they re just finishing up, redoing the DS9 scenes in full HD. CBS is assisting them with the project, and lot of people think, that based on the success of this, CBS may finally pony up and give DS9 the full HD resoration like they did for TOS and TNG. If you haven't seen the TNG Blu rays, they are a work of art.

https://ds9documentary.com/

He was a young kid, so I give him slack. I just saw this pic of him and Aron Eisenberg (Nog) at STLV from 2 weeks ago, and its is crazy how much he looks like Avery Brooks during DS9. Pretty crazy for not being related. Apparently in RL the have a father son relationship, and still talk a few times a week.

actors-cirroc-lofton-and-aron-eisenberg-attend-day-4-of-creation-picture-id1012080382
Awesome.
Yah, Lofton grew too fast for that show, and became awkward

What we left behind, the DS9 documentary, will premiere in just a few weeks in late Oct. They currently have 5 full minutes of fully restored wide screen HD from DS9, but are now looking for more last minute donations, to make all 20 minutes of screen DS9 footage into HD.
http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/08/ad...-documentary-fundraiser-announced-hd-footage/
In a breaking news update from the What We Left Behind documentary, the upcoming look back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, the team behind the project has announced another round of fundraising efforts to expand the quantity of high-definition Deep Space Nine footage in the final project.

After raising over $645,000 dollars for the project in early 2017, allowing the documentary team to conduct interviews across the United States, expand the project to include new graphics, new writers-room discussions, and of course, license the use of Deep Space Nine episode footage for the project — the most costly part of the project — it was finally confirmed that a portion of the DS9 footage would be scanned for HD presentation earlier this year.

But that fundraising effort only resulted in about five minutes of HD footage to make its way to the documentary — compared to more than fifteen minutes of standard-definition footage — and producer/director Ira Steven Behr is once more asking fans for help to get the last of the low-quality episode clips upgraded to high definition.

While the team showcased a tiny clip of HD footage from “Emissary” at their STLV panel earlier this month — one which was not able to be shared online, and was only able to be seen on a large projector screen in Las Vegas — the first comparison of SD-to-HD Deep Space Nine imagery was revealed in today’s update video, from the famous ‘root beer’ scene in Season 4’s “The Way of the Warrior.”

New $50 backers for this HD-upgrade push will be eligible to receive collectible What We Left Behind challenge coins, and higher-level $500 backers will be personally credited in the documentary itself as specific scenes can be ‘sponsored’ in the final project.

An example ‘backer credit’ for a $500 contribution sponsored HD scene.

Preliminary designs for ‘high-definition hero’ rewards.
As you may notice in the ‘backer credit’ illustration and HD framegrab of Garak above, there’s some additional picture information on the sides of the image, allowing the scene to be presented in a 16×9, widescreen format.

What We Left Behind producer Kai de Mello-Folsom told us that while a hypothetical full-series remaster may be presented differently if it ever comes to fruition — remember, CBS Digital maintained the original Next Generation 4:3 ‘full frame’ format — the documentary project will be showcasing the HD Deep Space Nine footage in widescreen.

While this may result in some minor cropping on the top and bottom of the frame, it will include ‘overscan’ content — that extra picture on the sides — which weren’t seen in the classic television or DVD presentation. In addition, for the later seasons, a special contributor has even been helping out with the DS9 episodic footage.

The expanded, original film content fully exposed in the new HD scans.
“We have been consulting with director of photography Jonathan West,” de Mello-Folsom told us, “who confirms that, at least from Season 3 on, camera operators were framing ‘action-safe’ for widescreen — in order to future-proof [the episodes] for eventual, possible, widescreen release.”

To be clear, this is not an indication of how any (still hypothetical) CBS-lead remaster might look; the documentary team is rescanning this footage on their own without the supervision of CBS Digital, who managed the Next Generation project. This HD content is only for the documentary and would likely be re-assessed if a formal DS9 remastering would ever occur.

No formal ‘stretch goal’ has been set by the What We Left Behind team for this new fundraising push, but we did learn that the team is working to include in scenes from across all seven seasons of the series — which means taking care of research and film transportation costs, scanning the film elements and cataloging, conforming, recoloring, and licensing that rescanned footage… plus taking care of any visual effects which may need to be handled in those clips.

(It’s a complicated process!)

The new fundraiser campaign is being managed through DS9Documentary.com — to contribute, follow this link!

In addition to the renewed fundraiser effort, the team revealed that longtime Emmy Award-nominated Star Trek composer Dennis McCarthy, along with Star Trek: Enterprise composer Kevin Kiner, have signed on to score the documentary. McCarthy, of course, is one of the most prolific composers in Trek history, scoring over 250 episodes (as well as the Star Trek: Generations film) including 76 episodes of Deep Space Nine.

Finally — in an update that was revealed to backers over the weekend, and formally announced in today’s update — the biggest question about What We Left Behind has been answered: when will this film actually get to be seen?

The first public screening of the documentary will take place in Los Angeles on Friday, October 12, followed by the East Coast premiere in New York City on Sunday, October 14.

(The planned premiere in London is not yet scheduled, but we hear it’s tentatively planned for later in October — details on that, along with plans for streaming and Blu-ray/DVD releases, are still being finalized.)

Yeah this was my favourite one too, got into the overall story and most developed characters of all serieses

Watching the last DVD release of DS9, they look awful and need to be scrubbed up.

Nope. At the end of the episode with him, Kira is all “we won’t forget about you.” Then they just completely forgot about him.
Terrible, stupid character.
Just awful.

I was just thinking last night how absurdly easy it was to steal a runabout, and the Defiant

Watching the last DVD release of DS9, they look awful and need to be scrubbed up.
Donate for the, What we left behind project. CBS is closley watching the success of this project, and how they do with the HD restoration

Here's one scene they posted

SD Original
ds9doc-andy-sd2-768x581.jpg

New HD restoration
ds9doc-andy-hd2-768x581.jpg

And they are actually restoring it full wide screen HD, not the 4:3 that they did for TNG

RIP Aaron Eisenberg

He played Nog. Apparently he died on the 21st of this month.

They started playing DS9 episodes on BBC (giggity). I highly recommend everyone watch this show. All of your favorite modern shows - Lost, Sopranos, etc., were made possible because of this show. I don’t know that any other drama, other than soap operas, did serial episodes until DS9 paved the way.
They did stand alone episodes as well. But any plot or character developments that occurred in those episodes were carried through to the following episodes.

They even have some references in the earlier episodes to things that will occur later. It’s a great show. It starts off a bit slow though. But the payoff is worth it.

They started playing DS9 episodes on BBC (giggity). I highly recommend everyone watch this show. All of your favorite modern shows - Lost, Sopranos, etc., were made possible because of this show. I don’t know that any other drama, other than soap operas, did serial episodes until DS9 paved the way.
They did stand alone episodes as well. But any plot or character developments that occurred in those episodes were carried through to the following episodes.

They even have some references in the earlier episodes to things that will occur later. It’s a great show. It starts off a bit slow though. But the payoff is worth it.
More people need to watch. Need to get CBS to pony up, and remaster DS9.

qfqLX7T.gif

I find it interesting how Damar went from almost a no-name henchman to being a drunkard puppet leader to being an actual resistance leader.
His character became so much more interesting and had depth towards the end. That show was just incredible in it's day.

Yeah, the actor did. The actor who played Nog also died a few months ago. It's a real shame. I wish they had done a reunion mini-series many years ago.

I think it would be awesome if they did a reboot. Of course, I would probably bitch about how it wasn’t as good as the original. But if they kept the main story and character arch’s, I would be happy. Just please do not get Michael B Jordan to play Sisko. Or anyone for that matter.

I think it would be awesome if they did a reboot. Of course, I would probably bitch about how it wasn’t as good as the original. But if they kept the main story and character arch’s, I would be happy. Just please do not get Michael B Jordan to play Sisko. Or anyone for that matter.
I can't see any other actors playing those characters. It would have to be a sequel series for me or nothing else.

Back