Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
After unified welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. was forced to withdraw just 11 days out following surgery for a torn retina, reigning WBA titleholder Yordenis Ugas was bumped up from the PPV main card to face Pacquiao in the main event of a Premier Boxing Champions card at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Even though Ugas (26-4, 12 KOs) lacks the threat of fight-ending power on the same level as the unbeaten Spence, the 35-year-old brings the technical know-how from his time as a decorated Cuban amateur and great size for the division. He's also comfortable exchanging firepower at close range behind his high guard due to his defensive proficiencies.

But most important for the 42-year-old Pacquiao, and one of the major reasons the Filipino icon was so willing to accept such a difficult fight on short notice to save the card, Ugas has the WBA title that Pacquiao won in his last fight from 2019 when he handed Keith Thurman his first defeat. Ugas was upgraded to full champion amid Pacquiao's layoff, which didn't sit well with boxing's only eight-division champion.
Pacquiao vs. Ugas fight card, odds
  • Manny Pacquiao -360 vs. Yordenis Ugas +280, WBA welterweight championship
  • Robert Guerrero -150 vs. Victor Ortiz +125, welterweight
  • Mark Magsayo -270 vs. Julio Ceja +220, WBC featherweight title eliminator
  • Carlos Castro -1100 vs. Oscar Escandon +700, featherweight
Pacquiao vs. Ugas info
  • Date: Aug. 21
  • Start time: 9 p.m. ET
  • How to watch: FOX PPV | Price: $74.99
https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/ne...dds-ppv-price-complete-guide-rumors-location/

upload_2021-8-21_6-3-44.png

upload_2021-8-21_6-4-20.png

upload_2021-8-21_6-4-50.png

Do you guys know what they’ll do with the other prelim fights after it ends on fox @5:30 est will the rest of the fights be off TV or something? Hate how fox boxing does this they need to do what Espn plus and dazn do. @MMALOPEZ

If Manny wins big here, well as far as official resume business goes, I guess another win, but the quality of the win in the context of the moment... Ugas is considered a dark horse in the welterweight race. His performance in a loss to Porter shows right where he stands, and he could wind up being a bad style match for any of the most accomplished guys rn, including Manny. So Ugas is a live and dangerous opponent and Manny has a chance to be great again. I would love to see an early and impressive stoppage, I hope Pacs power is in tact, but that's not likely and Ugas is for real. Forget his losses, Manny has a tough fight. Easy fight back in the Pacman era, but thats not a knock on Ugas at all.

Sidenote, I'm still not sure Manny isnt still the best WW in the world. He already exposed Thurman was world class like 147 used to be. Spence was an INTERESTING fight to say the least. In fact the more I thought about it the more I realized Pac was the only one who was gonna prove Spences case about being best. Most fights Spence looks like hes momentarily facing some adversity hes actually deceptively good defensively, and when he is hit hes been able to walk thru the fire so far. I dont know he'll be able to do that vs Pac who will outsmart him more than once and land from angles he isnt ready for. The other thing is the power. Those will be firsts for him and his true test to prove hes no 1 and car crash didnt ruin him. They should still make the fight if Manny wins, and same if Ugas wins. Let's answer these questions now while we still have one of the most incredible athletes of all time still in the game

Calling it now, Ugas pulls out the upset. Might even stop Pac. Love Pac he's a fucking legend but he's old and Ugas is no pushover, he's a bigger guy who can fight his ass off and he's got stamina and a chin on him.

Watch for his body shots he's gonna rip them to the body when he gets his chances and I don't think Pac will respond well. This is gonna be a tough fight for a 42 y/o Pac, I don't see him having an easy time at all, far from it imo.

Wasn't a fan of Pacquiao when he was at his best, became a fan much later as he started to become like wine and I really hope he can pull it off tomorrow but I have this strange feeling he is getting stopped early and ugly.

You can also tune into Fox Deportes for this broadcast...

Oh nice. Didn’t realize prelims started this early. Dude is getting beaten up pretty good here but still game

Entertaining opening scrap... Fox putting the prelim bangers on TV and the fillers on Dark / Stream....

Oh nice. Didn’t realize prelims started this early. Dude is getting beaten up pretty good here but still game
I didn't quite understand that stoppage. Opponent game and fighting back and only 4 rounds in, possible the favorite starts to fade and that turns into a completely different bout. Almost seemed like they were "worried" that might happen, so...
Was that a WBA bout? lol

I didn't quite understand that stoppage. Opponent game and fighting back and only 4 rounds in, possible the favorite starts to fade and that turns into a completely different bout. Almost seemed like they were "worried" that might happen, so...
Was that a WBA bout? lol
Yeah. I was a bit torn on it. It was one sided yes but why even have the fight if that’s all it’s gonna take for it to get waved off. Dude wanted to keep fighting. Didn’t show any sign that he wanted to quit and wasn’t getting completely destroyed, outclassed maybe. Why have the fight if dude isn’t going to be allowed a chance to compete after some adversity

Was that a WBA bout? lol
upload_2021-8-21_15-11-34.png

Let him bang on national tv bro ;)

Back