RBR ***Official*** Sherdog Sanctioned Jake Paul vs Woodley RBR PPV 8/29

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm quite shocked at how little Tyron had trained boxing skills his entire MMA career. But I was already shocked when Frank Mir, a guy who had been in the sport what 20 years? tried to step into the boxing ring with even worse stand up.

i’m telling you that is flat out untrue lmao all of these dudes took very early losses in their careers to nobodies and didn’t blossom until very late. martinez/qawi/farmer, literally everyone you named
Wilder only trained for a little while and got a bronze at the olympics right? I suppose that isn't pro success, but it isn't something to be entirely dismissed either.

Wilder only trained for a little while and got a bronze at the olympics right? I suppose that isn't pro success, but it isn't something to be entirely dismissed either.
the details are still foggy on that as well. all we know about his history is based on what came out of his mouth, and he says a lot of ridiculous shit.

regardless, wilder is an outlier in every sense and i’m sure you’ll agree. possibly the worst technique i’ve ever seen at the level he’s fighting at, and his fights usually end with him getting his hand raised. it’s abundantly clear that wilder is still not a well-schooled fighter and probably never will be but his right hand is miraculous.

I'm quite shocked at how little Tyron had trained boxing skills his entire MMA career. But I was already shocked when Frank Mir, a guy who had been in the sport what 20 years? tried to step into the boxing ring with even worse stand up.

Frank is a much better boxer than Tyron.

the details are still foggy on that as well. all we know about his history is based on what came out of his mouth, and he says a lot of ridiculous shit.

regardless, wilder is an outlier in every sense and i’m sure you’ll agree. possibly the worst technique i’ve ever seen at the level he’s fighting at, and his fights usually end with him getting his hand raised. it’s abundantly clear that wilder is still not a well-schooled fighter and probably never will be but his right hand is miraculous.
yeah I'll agree on his poor technique for sure. Just a freakish physiical ability, and anyhow, that was ammy level, no pros

yeah I'll agree on his poor technique for sure. Just a freakish physiical ability, and anyhow, that was ammy level, no pros
i feel like my post was kinda dickish dude my bad. he’s a great fighter. i don’t want to seem like i don’t like him lmao he’s just got really bad form on his punches

i feel like my post was kinda dickish dude my bad. he’s a great fighter. i don’t want to seem like i don’t like him lmao he’s just got really bad form on his punches
nah lmao nothing to apologize about dude, I didn't read that as dickish at all. Wilder is just a weird fighter (and your argument is correct: he's not necessarily a technically sound fighter). There are probably some other guys that grabbed a title after a few years, but they're few and far between at best.

Why does he need to fight real boxers when he’s making millions with these freak show fights?

He says he's in boxing for real, and committed to it. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, and stating if he wants to keep people like me watching, he needs to fight actual boxers.

When did he have the killer instinct? Not hating. Serious question

Winning the belt started it, that was a nice KO on Robbie Lawler. But he started fighting safe and plodding after Lawler, so I'd say it probably started there. He showed flashes of it in the Wonderboy fights, as he almost finished him, but I think the Usman fight was where it was finally put to rest.

Professional fighters especially champions can pull the trigger against amateur boxers like Jake that have only been training for 3 years, Woodley never really boxed Jake, he's being shown how to throw combinations and hit pads, he's been shown footwork, foot placement and making your opponents run into your punches setting up knock out punches by studying your opponents movements, plus using defensive head movement to land counter punches, I hope he was shown these things, but Woodley never did any of these things, he never threw punches to set up full power punches by making Jake move his head right into power punches.

That's why he lost, in a boxing match just acting like your hitting focus pads while moving around trying to avoid punches isn't boxing, there's so much more then just punching pads, anybody can punch pads and move around.

Woodley didn't use the sweet science, he walked around like he was hitting focus pads.

I was referring more to when Woodley had Jake hurt, he barely pursued him. The Woodley that KO'd Robbie Lawler would have gone for the kill, but Woodley isn't that fighter anymore.

This is a total misunderstanding. Woodley has always relied on the counter big punch. It worked for him several times when he himself was younger and had better reaction time, but it also failed him, and during the last few years, it became palpable that relying on such a narrow a game was just not going to work against younger, more dynamic fighters.

It's not about killer instinct: he always had trouble getting offensive output whenever he couldn't find his big punch, since he relies exclusively on it. When he lands it, he explodes. When he doesn't and his opponent turtles and fights safely, he freezes. He has no movement, jab, no upper, no feints, no short hooks, no lead jab, no combinations, nothing. He never had. That he never developed a more dynamic game and thought he won shows that he is a deluded diva, probably surrounded by a bunch of yes men that feed his ego.

That's part of it, certainly, but it's not all of it. The Woodley that fought Lawler or Dong Hyung Kim would actually chase you for the finish, whereas when Woodley had Paul hurt, he didn't really chase him, he didn't attempt to really end the fight.

Also, Woodley, despite having power, is still an MMA fighter, where kicks, clinchwork with elbow and knees, wrestling and submissions are part of his toolbelt, tools he couldn't employ in a pure boxing setting. Woodley even at his best, was known for the threat of his wrestling, not predominantly his striking, but if he had you hurt, he would go for the finish, an instinct clearly lost in my eyes.

That's part of it, certainly, but it's not all of it. The Woodley that fought Lawler or Dong Hyung Kim would actually chase you for the finish, whereas when Woodley had Paul hurt, he didn't really chase him, he didn't attempt to really end the fight.

Also, Woodley, despite having power, is still an MMA fighter, where kicks, clinchwork with elbow and knees, wrestling and submissions are part of his toolbelt, tools he couldn't employ in a pure boxing setting. Woodley even at his best, was known for the threat of his wrestling, not predominantly his striking, but if he had you hurt, he would go for the finish, an instinct clearly lost in my eyes.

He dropped Robbie flush with a right counter and then teed off of him against the cage when down, and Kim was on fours when Tyron teed off of him. He never had Jake in that kind of position or trouble. But of course he had none of his other tools, that is not bound to him being in or out of his prime, but him not being in MMA. The point was his boxing sucks, and has always sucked.

This idea that Twood is a boxer needs to be put to rest. Boxing is more then a overhand right which all Woodley had. Watch his fights with Shields or Rory MacDonald. If he can’t land his one move then he goes into a shell and is like afraid to do anything.

While I agree it’s embarrassing an experience mma fighter that has trained striking much longer then Paul who is nothing more then an amateur boxer but it just shows the problem Twood had throughout his mma career.

Its a myth that Woodley didn't try enough, he did but was getting tagged when he got too close. Even in round four after he put Paul through the ropes, few moments later he got rocked himself

Lmfao Jake has only been training for 3 years and this was his 5th total fight, and only 2nd against a fighter. Tyron by contrast has 12 years and this was his 28th fight.

training for 3 years but he's participated in boxing since he was younger up till now as his workouts/exercise so he essentially has way more than 3 years experience, the last 3 years with professional coaches and trainers to help him get better.

that's like saying you started playing guitar at 5 years old but started taking lessons when you were 16 for 3 years and saying you've only been playing guitar 3 years, no you've been playing from 5 years old up to 19 years old which is a lot more than 3 years, same shit with jake

Mouths sell more tickets these days than fists do.

jake-paul-ben-askren.gif

Back