Kowboy On Sherdog

UFC 300 ***The Aftermath***
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score

SHOWTIME PPV
DAVIS VS. SANTA CRUZ
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 31, 2020 9:00 PM ET / 6:00 PM PT
It’s an all-out battle with two titles on the line when rising young superstar and undefeated champion Gervonta "Tank" Davis takes on Mexican legend and 4-division world champion Leo Santa Cruz in the title fight of the year. Plus, super lightweight Mario "el Azteca" Barrios defends his hard-won title in a 12-round showdown with Texas-native "Cowboy" Ryan Karl. All this and two additional bouts

https://www.sho.com/sports/fights/4061/davis-vs-santa-cruz

Fight card, odds
FAVORITE UNDERDOG WEIGHTCLASS
Gervonta Davis (c) -700

Leo Santa Cruz +500

WBA 'regular' lightweight title

Mario Barrios (c) -2000

Ryan Karl +1000

Junior welterweight title

Regis Prograis N/A

Juan Heraldez N/A

Junior welterweights

Isaac Cruz Diego Magdaleno Lightweights

Viewing information

• Date: Oct. 31 | Start time: 9 p.m. ET
  • TV: Showtime PPV ($74.99) | Live stream: Showtime.com

The biggest piece of intrigue surrounding Saturday's pay-per-view bout in San Antonio between unbeaten Gervonta "Tank" Davis and four-division champion Leo Santa Cruz -- and the result that could have the most bearing upon on how experts handicap the 130-pound bout -- remains whether Davis will comfortably make weight.

Davis (23-0, 22 KOs), the power-punching southpaw who will put his secondary WBA title at 135 pounds at stake against Santa Cruz's WBA junior lightweight belt, has endured consistent troubles in recent years on the scale regardless of which division he has competed in. In fact, Davis once lost his 130-pound title on the scales in 2017 ahead of his biggest fight to date as the co-main event on the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor card.

The 25-year-old Davis will be moving back down to junior lightweight when he steps foot inside the ring at the Alamodome (Showtime PPV, 9 p.m. ET) where a limited crowd of 11,500 is expected to show up while maintaining social distancing policies. Yet each time he has faced the media in recent weeks, Davis has made sure to make one thing clear.

"Gervonta Davis will definitely make the weight," Davis said. "This camp has been great for me. I'm already at weight. I'm not big and just have been working hard. Our camp is not worrying about weight, our camp is about Leo Santa Cruz and giving him a great fight. That's what we worry about and getting them big checks."

Although Santa Cruz (37-1-1, 19 KOs) has had just one fight at junior lightweight -- outpointing Miguel Flores last November to win the vacant title after previously doing his best work at featherweight -- he was willing to take the risk of moving up one division higher against one of the sport's biggest punchers because of a potential weakness he believes he can expose.

"Tank Davis is strong the first five rounds. I know he's also dangerous in every round, but I think the more dangerous rounds will be 1-6 where he will have the most power," Santa Cruz said. "But if I see him gassing out, I am going to pressure him and make him tired."

When Santa Cruz, 32, first presented the idea of fighting Davis to his co-trainers, brother Antonio and father Jose, the family talked about his need to fight smart. Santa Cruz believes he will need "to fight a perfect fight" but hasn't ruled out the potential of standing toe-to-toe against Davis and utilizing his pressure style.

"We have to fight from the outside because we know Tank could hit and if he catches me, he could hurt me," Santa Cruz said. "We are going to try to box 12 rounds, but you know me. We want to give the fans an exciting fight so if I feel I can take his punches, we are going to stand there and make it a fight. But if I see he can hurt me, I am going to be smart and try and make it the full 12 rounds."

Santa Cruz brought in bigger sparring partners, both junior welterweights and welterweights, to prepare for Davis' punishing style. He also worked his neck muscles extra in hopes he can withstand the power.

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/ne...ds-preview-how-to-watch-start-time-ppv-price/

I think LSC is gonna get a UD. 116-112.
Rematch, Davis wins and LSC retires a 5 Division Champ and a future Hall of Famer.

RBR means Round by Round.
I just put that together.

I vividly remember Mario Barrios gassing his last and looking physically and mentally broken before getting a last second KD which probably swung the decision his way although I had his Russian opponent winning.

Back