Official Sherdog Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andre not holding the belt was good for business. For starters, who the hell was ever going to beat him for it? Andre didn't need it, and by keeping it off him, it let others get the rub from being the champ. Andre knew all this, and didn't politic towards getting the strap. Andre was unselfish that way.

Andre not holding the belt was good for business. For starters, who the hell was ever going to beat him for it? Andre didn't need it, and by keeping it off him, it let others get the rub from being the champ. Andre knew all this, and didn't politic towards getting the strap. Andre was unselfish that way.

it didnt help that when he finally got the belt, his body was so beaten up and couldnt take much more

we can move it up. I still need Nas's votes though. A couple of others have either told me the weren't voting or I haven't heard from them.

Andre was different. He was booked exclusively by McMahon(Sr.) The thought was that Andre would travel from territory to territory and make as much money working as many dates a s possible. The thing with Andre was booking him to maximize his "freakshow" size. A title run was irrelavant compared to the money. Sr. also knew not to let him stay in one territory too long so he wouldn't get stale. I wonder if Andre ever regretted not being a champ?? He did make a lot of money for himself and others though.

Yeah, if anyone was wondering, I submitted ten guys.

Then I nominated ten for the hall of fame. Ha!

Sorry, too cheesy.

I included international wrestlers on my nominations because wrestling is an international sport and we shouldnt ignore people's accomplishments in other countries.

I included international wrestlers on my nominations because wrestling is an international sport and we shouldnt ignore people's accomplishments in other countries.

That's great and I'll be sure to look them up and give them as fair a grade as possible. I'm just not familiar with anyone because I've never watched it so I didn't feel right nominating people I've never seen work. To be honest, I don't even really know any of the people you guys talk about from Japan. I'm interested to find out about them and broaden my horizons a bit.

Andre was unselfish and I agree with your points D. Money was prob. most important to him and he didn't need a title to know if he decided to shoot, there wasn't a fucking thing anyone was gonna do to stop him. He was certainly a pro. My only gripe is that he often gets overlooked in modern day talk about all time greats because everyone thinks of Brunos lengthy title run, Flairs 16 belts, Hulkamania etc. Andre was undefeated for about 15 years and won more battle royals than anyone can imagine. It just seems like when people discuss greats the main focus is titles.

Really? Seems like everyone knows and respects Andre as the greatest big man of all time. I dare say he was the first true crossover star into the mainstream spotlight, and is one of the 3 or 4 people you can ask someone who has never watched wrestling and they will still know his name.

By the way, is it obvious I'm an Andre mark?

Andre was unselfish and I agree with your points D. Money was prob. most important to him and he didn't need a title to know if he decided to shoot, there wasn't a fucking thing anyone was gonna do to stop him. He was certainly a pro. My only gripe is that he often gets overlooked in modern day talk about all time greats because everyone thinks of Brunos lengthy title run, Flairs 16 belts, Hulkamania etc. Andre was undefeated for about 15 years and won more battle royals than anyone can imagine. It just seems like when people discuss greats the main focus is titles.

see my post for the reason why (or at least how I see it.) Andre did lose on a few rare occasions by pinfall/ submission but were never reported during his undefeated streak. (El Canek, Inoki, etc..) He lost numerous times by count out and DQ. (The (original) Sheikcomes to mind and various NWA champs.)

Andre was unselfish and I agree with your points D. Money was prob. most important to him and he didn't need a title to know if he decided to shoot, there wasn't a fucking thing anyone was gonna do to stop him.

Except Maeda. :p

I hope you guys don't think I am dogging Andre. He is definately HOF material/ top 10-20 all time.

I actually had a tough time picking my ten. I had trouble leaving guys off.

I tried to include guys who've achieved "global" success.

So far we have 49 different wrestlers listed. I still need Nas' and Double D and 5 more from Mike. no word from megaman, mikebourkefan, smigg, KK. I pm'd bad news but he didn't respond. At the very least I want Nas and DD and mike's last 5 picks before we go to the final debate and vote. I was thinking of having the cut off at either 50 guys or leaving off the guys who got 1 vote. Any input????

To be honest, the longer the waiting goes, the more I want to see the list in its' entirety.

To be honest, the longer the waiting goes, the more I want to see the list in its' entirety.
Yeah, DD said he was going to be busy with work this week. I really don't want to leave him out. I will put every name out there. Funny thing is a couple of guys wrote in saying, "I know everyone voted for so and so, so I won't vote for them." But nobody voted for them! I will put every name out but I won't say how many nominations he got so as not to prejudice the voters(until afterwards). Is that cool?

Yeah, DD said he was going to be busy with work this week. I really don't want to leave him out. I will put every name out there. Funny thing is a couple of guys wrote in saying, "I know everyone voted for so and so, so I won't vote for them." But nobody voted for them! I will put every name out but I won't say how many nominations he got so as not to prejudice the voters(until afterwards). Is that cool?

Yeah, we can always go back and look at how many people nominated each guy after the voting is done.

I actually had a tough time picking my ten. I had trouble leaving guys off.

Yeah I did too. I had about 3-5 more in mind, but couldn't justify eliminating any of the 10 I had to include them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back