Official rules of Freestyle?

Saki_on_Sunday

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Official rules of Freestyle? I am a folkstyle wrestler and I am looking to get into freestyle but the only rule that I know is different is I can lock hands on bottom, does anyone know where I can the official rules?

Thats a tough question to answer because freestyle wrestling rules are in a state of flux right now. FILA (the world governing body) is trying to make the sport more exciting, so they've changed a lot of things.
here is a link to FILA's site where you can download the complete rules http://www.fila-wrestling.com/lutte/regles.php3

yeah I know, I hate it. I just found out they changed the clinch rules again less than a month bfore worlds. Hopefully they iron out all the bugs at the worlds.

Saki_on_Sunday said:
Official rules of Freestyle? I am a folkstyle wrestler and I am looking to get into freestyle but the only rule that I know is different is I can lock hands on bottom, does anyone know where I can the official rules?

I'm folkstyle trained too and competed in some freestyle tourneys although i've had minimal training in free. I'm not trying to hate on freestyle but I will say this. The back exposures suck expecially when you get in scramble situations. You can easily get teched even if you feel like the guy isn't kickin your ass. In folkstyle you get teched you got your ass kicked PERIOD. You can get scored on just by having your shot stuffed and not holding proper body position while you're trying to gather the takedown. Personally I do not like freestlye comming from a folkstyle background. You don't feel as free to work for a pin. It's like your only working for back exposure and it doesn't "feel" like real wrestling. Either way though, competition is competition and is always good to do. I hate that the international style isn't folkstyle. Oh well I guess i am hatin' of freestyle afterall.
That being said you may have a completely different experience with it. Especially if you prepare properly with good freestyle guys. Personally I wouldn't enter another freestyle comp though.

Back