PlayStation Official PS | PS Studios Megathread, v.5

What is your preferred background for incoming SIE CEO?

• Charismatic character/personality

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other: Specify

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
October is a pretty strong month. Dragon Ball, Sonic, Metaphor, and silent hill 2. I’ve been impressed with the metaphor game so far , it’s going to be a huge game though and I have trouble finishing them so we’ll see.

I still like Geoff, I don’t know why people hate on him. I think he’s doing a good thing by bringing back live shows. It’s this or nothing and maybe some people would prefer nothing but most of the time I’ve enjoyed them. This one was particularly weak but at least he did come out and say not to expect big reveals. I think he knew this one wasn’t as good. Oh well we got some release dates and phantom blade zero looks amazing
Only issue I have with Geoff is his weird hero like worship of Kojima and giving him so much time to talk about basically nothing. Thankfully that did not happen this time.
I was not expecting much, but I was hoping for at least one new game to look forward to. But it was just stuff I already knew about, or don't care about.

As weird as this is to say in the PS thread, I hope the MS show is better, because I can play those on PC.

I'm not a huge indie guy either. I've really only played like the very best indies. Ori and Hollow knight.
Bud, you’ve played Spain’s Blasphemous though too, right? Worth your time. From aesthetic to metal, guitar-wailing score, game hits so hard.

New interview from Dring with the Godfather himself and known Platinum hunter Mark Cerny. Full read here (long one!) but will excerpt below:

From arcades to architect, the development legend discusses his 42-year career, PS5 surprises and the job of building games consoles.
–––
Cerny is explaining to us that despite his current role as the architect behind PlayStation hardware, what he finds interesting about a game isn't necessarily what it's doing technically, but rather what's new about it. In fact, for all the different roles that Cerny has had in his 42-year games industry career, the one he's never stopped doing is that of 'gamer'.

"I continue to be a massive player," he tells us. "I got into this 40-something years ago because I was an arcade addict.

"Back in the day, I was one of the best players in the country at Defender. That's actually how I got my job at Atari. There was a reporter who was writing a book on arcade games strategies. We're talking about an era so distant that there weren't even games magazines. So if you wanted to learn arcade game strategy, you would go to the supermarket and at the checkout there would be a book that you could buy that would tell you how to play whatever game.

–––
Cerny still does multiple things, but to the current generation of gamers, he's probably best known as the lead architect behind PlayStation 4 and 5.

We're roughly at the mid-way point in the PS5's lifecycle, and so we wanted to ask if there's anything developers have been doing with the hardware that has surprised him.

"I have been very surprised by the degree to which developers are using ray-tracing," he begins. "Putting that in, that was a big decision and actually a rather late one. I thought that this is not going to get much use initially, but if we look at generations, and a generation is seven years or so, software is created for ten years, and so later in the lifecycle we will start seeing people using that technology. But instead we had launch titles that were taking advantage of it. I guess, having worked on games for consoles that were a bit difficult to get into, like the PlayStation 3, I can be a little skittish about very deep technology like that. But in this case, my guess as to how things would go was totally wrong. And I am so happy to have seen the early adoption of the technology.

"The other thing that has been surprising is the push to 60 frames per second. Based on previous console lifecycles, I would have expected there to be a lot more games that are 30 frames per second only, just because the artwork can be so much more detailed if you have longer time to render it. Instead, the almost universal rule this time around has been the games run at 60.

"It's great from a play perspective. Gamers overwhelmingly prefer games that are higher frame rates. I just didn't expect such a departure from previous generations."

(...)

PlayStation Stars has been down for days. Scared to preorder and lose points

PlayStation Stars has been down for days. Scared to preorder and lose points
I’d wait a bit then to preorder. Nothing’s getting fixed over weekend, I imagine.

Bud, you’ve played Spain’s Blasphemous though too, right? Worth your time. From aesthetic to metal, guitar-wailing score, game hits so hard.
Looking at my PS history and I’m about 50/50 split between indies and big budget. If there’s an indie game that interests me, there’s a good chance I’ll pick it up. Love my indies.

Looking at my PS history and I’m about 50/50 split between indies and big budget. If there’s an indie game that interests me, there’s a good chance I’ll pick it up. Love my indies.
That’s a healthy split, TBH, and where I want to be ideally. I’m likelier 70/30 in big budget to indie. But them rookie numbers. I need to pump those indies up a little.

Problem is I dislike the samey art direction of most indies. I loved Trek to Yomi for example for that reason – standout art direction.

That’s a healthy split, TBH, and where I want to be ideally. I’m likelier 70/30 in big budget to indie. But them rookie numbers. I need to pump those indies up a little.

Problem is I dislike the samey art direction of most indies. I loved Trek to Yomi for example for that reason – standout art direction.
Yea, I feel ya on that. Deaths Door and Tunic seemed very similar in their art direction and iirc their gameplay wasn’t too far off as well.

I liked Yomi for its artistic creativeness, however, it ran into the same issue I give most indies and that’s their general lack of polish when it comes to mechanics.

For me though, the true charm of indie games lies in their ability to deliver unique, focused experiences that prioritize creativity over scale or cutting-edge graphics. Dave the Diver is a perfect example. It’s not difficult, it’s small scale but it’s feels “homey” and the gameplay loop is addictive and engaging.

Yea, I feel ya on that. Deaths Door and Tunic seemed very similar in their art direction and iirc their gameplay wasn’t too far off as well.

I liked Yomi for its artistic creativeness, however, it ran into the same issue I give most indies and that’s their general lack of polish when it comes to mechanics.

For me though, the true charm of indie games lies in their ability to deliver unique, focused experiences that prioritize creativity over scale or cutting-edge graphics. Dave the Diver is a perfect example. It’s not difficult, it’s small scale but it’s feels “homey” and the gameplay loop is addictive and engaging.
Have you played Dredge? It was a bonus game added to Extra on the 28th of May. It’s not too long, I plan on getting the platinum. If you like fishing type games you might enjoy it . The difference is you sail on a boat and you upgrade it as you gather materials and sell fish for money.

Have you played Dredge? It was a bonus game added to Extra on the 28th of May. It’s not too long, I plan on getting the platinum. If you like fishing type games you might enjoy it . The difference is you sail on a boat and you upgrade it as you gather materials and sell fish for money.
I haven’t gotten to it yet, but it’s downloaded and ready to play. I’ll probably jump into it at some point though. I think it looks cool.

October is a pretty strong month. Dragon Ball, Sonic, Metaphor, and silent hill 2. I’ve been impressed with the metaphor game so far , it’s going to be a huge game though and I have trouble finishing them so we’ll see.
My brother is the biggest DBZ Tenkaichi fan, we both preordered the Collector’s edition and are planning on going hard on some local multiplayer. Just like when we were teenagers.

Just saw that Starship Troopers is dropping a game.

In 2024 we will have:

1. Helldivers II
2. Space Marine II
3. Starship Troopers

All competing for players in PvE battling bugs.

Looking good so far! If anyone can find gameplay without talking let me know

Have been interested in – nay, excited about – everything I've seen from this game but I have to say that Commander Cleave is one of the stupidest names for a boss, lol. Who are his predecessors: Sergeant Slice and Captain Cut? C'mon.

I trie it when I was looking for something new to play but it didn’t really grab me. Might give it another chance later on down the road though.

Only issue I have with Geoff is his weird hero like worship of Kojima and giving him so much time to talk about basically nothing. Thankfully that did not happen this time.
I was not expecting much, but I was hoping for at least one new game to look forward to. But it was just stuff I already knew about, or don't care about.

As weird as this is to say in the PS thread, I hope the MS show is better, because I can play those on PC.
I think MS show will be better but the thing with them is they usually don’t have many release dates and when they come out they underwhelm. I’m also just not as interested in their IP. Someone was saying their perfect showcase with be Gears 6, Halo, Perfect Dark, Fable, Avowed, Indiana Jones and a couple of others I forget. I guess they just don’t have most of the genres I play. At least visions of mana will get a release date and we might see doom gameplay. A bonus would be seeing that Korean soulslike game they has an anime type artsyle. Something khasan, forgot the name

List of games coming to PS5 from the Xbox Showcase. Excited for Doom: The Dark Ages and Clair Obscur: Expedition 33. Both will be day one games for me. Safe to say more will come too after Phil said in an interview that more Xbox games are coming.

List of games coming to PS5 from the Xbox Showcase. Excited for Doom: The Dark Ages and Clair Obscur: Expedition 33. Both will be day one games for me. Safe to say more will come too after Phil said in an interview that more Xbox games are coming.

There's also a chance of Stalker 2 at some point also, its only a 3 month exclusive if i remember correctly.

Ben Star (Clive of FF16) is in Clair Obscur so that might be worth checking out,

Back