Official Judo Thread

Damn that Uchi mata....Dude wiped out his weight class with one single move, haha.

I find the last one particularly nice, and at -100Kg I find that even more impressive.

i've been playing a lot of same-side grip and really enjoy the drop variation where you duck under their armpit from the outside and pull your hands over your head.

i also vote that every kata guruma done without grabbing the leg should be called nota guruma

I think I see the kind of variation you mean. Sounds pretty dangerous for Uke if he is not familiar with it, or am I wrong?

Also, what do you think of the variation I proposed (classical kata guruma I suppose but grabbing the belt/waist instead of a leg?

Any thoughts on the Osaka Grand Slam? I thought there were some good ippons. It's too bad Ono had to pull out. In case people missed some of the highlights:

And yes, there are absolutely spectacular ippons in this osaka grand slam.

I think I see the kind of variation you mean. Sounds pretty dangerous for Uke if he is not familiar with it, or am I wrong?

nah, it's the same fall as a standard drop kataguruma/drop seoi. doesn't tickle, but judo is pain.

Also, what do you think of the variation I proposed (classical kata guruma I suppose but grabbing the belt/waist instead of a leg?
its dangerous if tori doesnt do it well. when a lot of people are first learning the variation, myself included, they end up driving uke's head directly towards the mat, but when executed properly that doesnt happen

Going down a shodan line up rabbit hole on youtube. Seems like a truest way to test black belt ability.

Anybody got any stories from there own line ups? Any specific training you undertook prior to the 3 contests?

Also nobody seems to post there failures to youtube :) Has anybody here failed in their attempts?

My favorite judo technique is called the daria bilodid

holy shit man

Hello everyone.
Can someone competent enough consult me about modern day gripping rules. In 2019 edition it is said, that there is shido for unconventional grips if no immediate atack. What does it exactly mean?
I watched Ferguson/Pedro gripfighting videos and drills, and they applied cross grip and double grip in their system. Is it outdated with modern judo rules?
I want to explain some simple and basic gripfighting strategy/system for my son. He started competing and seems a little frustrated on how to make a grip if 'just grab' method does not work.
Thank you in advance!

Can someone competent enough consult me about modern day gripping rules. In 2019 edition it is said, that there is shido for unconventional grips if no immediate atack. What does it exactly mean?
I am not 'competent enough', but unconventional grips cannot be used for defense or stalling.
Gripfighting should not be a thing for kids to worry about. If he cannot get a grip himself he can let opponent grip first. He will quickly figure out how to offer a bad grip for someone.

I am not 'competent enough', but unconventional grips cannot be used for defense or stalling.
Gripfighting should not be a thing for kids to worry about. If he cannot get a grip himself he can let opponent grip first. He will quickly figure out how to offer a bad grip for someone.
How he can 'figure it out'? His coach do no explain anything about the gripping process, apart from 'get the grip!'
There is a video on youtube by Ferguson, where he teches his little son to do basic gripping drill. He grabs the front arm with both hands, drag it down, then switch one hand to the collar. Is that sequence legal under modern rules?

"immediately" ~ 3-5 seconds. you can hold an unorthodox grip as long as you're attacking.

the grip rule fuckery is to prevent stalling, which is a problem in competitive judo.

unless you're gonna be in the olympics, play with weird grips and leg grabs. it's fine.

How he can 'figure it out'? His coach do no explain anything about the gripping process, apart from 'get the grip!'
There is a video on youtube by Ferguson, where he teches his little son to do basic gripping drill. He grabs the front arm with both hands, drag it down, then switch one hand to the collar. Is that sequence legal under modern rules?
It's absolutely legal, because he's being proactive with the grips. If you take an unorthodox grip and start to attack, or use it to get different grips, then it's fair play.

Kayla Harrison just dominated her opponent, couldnt catch the arm though.

super stoked for her. that's $975,000 more than she'd win for another gold medal.

Personally I don't like how kids are taught gripfighting, and especially using noob-cannon grips. The fundamentals are learning how to move and use combinations to make kuzushi, not line up a shot like tee-ball.

Personally I don't like how kids are taught gripfighting, and especially using noob-cannon grips. The fundamentals are learning how to move and use combinations to make kuzushi, not line up a shot like tee-ball.
Can you explain it in more details, please.

Can you explain it in more details, please.

It's not easy to explain in a post, unless you have a specific question. But one example:

The high grip does two things - it keeps uke's stiff arm from holding you out and allows you to force uke's head down. So doing so allows you to skip all the preparatory steps a basic grip requires. Say you need an ouchi/kouchi to break uke's balance forwards, and to close the distance for ouchi/kouchi you need to open uke's stiff arms, and to open uke's stiff arms you need to move laterally so you aren't directly against the arms, etc.

Well, the high grip just allowed you to get straight to the throwing action, provided you could be dominant in gripping.

It works for beating up weaker players and with kids who don't actually know much Judo. It works at high level too, don't get me wrong. Time and place. But starting beginners this way could seriously limit their toolbox.

Some say it's good to build confidence for beginners. But I've also seen plenty of people who cannot throw without the perfect grip setup. That's not baseball, that's tee-ball.

grip-and-rip is legit for athletes who have the speed and strength to rip people off of their balance, but doesn't do much to help develop the jedi nuance of judo.

It might just be the gin talking, but has anyone ever dubbed no gi judo "nudo"? Or does that suggest something more sinister?

Back