Official Judo Thread

you're right, but somebody finally pointed this out to the referees and that's why you can't win on penalties anymore. gotta have a score up.

we limited our junior match golden score to 2 minutes last weekend because the head ref had gone to Junior Olympics recently where there were 18, 23, and 28-minute golden score matches.

Hifumi Abe got upset today by a Mongolian judoka, he lost by ippon :( But he got a bronze.

Adonis Diaz got a silver medal, he was against Naohisa Takato, and got ipponed. Nice result for him, but this tournament is 50/50. There are 1 or 2 of the top judoka in each division.

he lost by bridging! i caught shit for calling one on a kid last weekend doing the same thing.

Nice Utsuri-goshi (I think, can't remember how to call this):

When I will study again, I really want to work on the uchi-mata. Such a great technique.

^ always ends up in everybody's top 3 tokuiwaza on a long enough timeline

I really need to work on my uchi mata. I've been using harai as my forward throw but I wonder if uchi mata would be a better fit.

^ always ends up in everybody's top 3 tokuiwaza on a long enough timeline
Agreed, but so few can make it look good like the Japanese do, lol. I have pretty good kuzushi and ashi-waza, so maybe I can drill this technique enough to make it be effective. It works great with a kosoto gari, I watched Igolnikov from the European championships this year. He has a really nice kosoto fake into uchi mata, or uchi mata into kosoto gari, really cool

I really need to work on my uchi mata. I've been using harai as my forward throw but I wonder if uchi mata would be a better fit.
Harai goshi is pretty awesome, I like this too. I have been trying an osoto-gari/harai-goshi threat, it works pretty well for me right now

uchimata is a finesse throw for sure. harai/osoto can be, but also have plenty of room for 'fuck you, fall down'.

my uchimata is hot garbage but my harai and osoto aint too shabby.

Does anybody have a link to watch Judo from the Asian games?

Hello all. I'm going to be starting my first year doing judo at the university I'm attending. I'm a mature student so I'm not a spring chicken anymore (turning 30 in December).

Looking forward to being a part of something new!

ice packs and recovery are your friend.

the good news is you're a 30 year old starting Judo rather than a 30 year old judo player. huge difference as far as wear-and-tear.

plus you'll be less inclined to try stupid shit at practice cuz you're an adult and have shit to do the next day.

Mang, I am competing tomorrow and I busted my shoulder yesterday during randori :mad::(

Mang, I am competing tomorrow and I busted my shoulder yesterday during randori :mad::(
Ouch, that sucks. I'm kind of surprised you were doing hard randori a couple days before a tournament. Was it more of a freak accident?

Ouch, that sucks. I'm kind of surprised you were doing hard randori a couple days before a tournament. Was it more of a freak accident?
I thought I was going moderate and wasn't forcing anything if it didn't work but this guy was there to put his work in and make something happen

between coaching our competition team and our normal practice schedule, grampa here is training 10 hours per week. i counted on Tuesday and took 82 falls in 2 hours.

giphy.gif

Back