Official Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson scorecards released

I thought Gus won 1, 2, 3 but it's in retrospect those decisions aren't absurd. It doesn't make sense how people can accept two judges giving Jones Rd. 2 and 3 each but think one giving him both is somehow more somehow absurd.

None of these names seems Swedish?

I'm one of the few that thought that Gus won round 4. One elbow vs a dominating, effective and powerful striking performance.
Anyway, I gave 1 for Gus as well. Round 2, 3 and 5 were hard. I thought 2 and 5 for Jones, and the 3rd was really hard.

But honestly, when rounds are really hard to judge, don't we take all other aspects in consideration?
Overall, over the whole fight: Engagement? Octagon movement? variety (which may play in favor of Jones)?

Shouldn't jones be given more points for almost stopping Gus in round 4? The first 3 rounds were all close. and even if gus won all 3, the rounds were very close. But round 4, Jones had gus badly hurt and running around the ring. Shouldn't Jones be given more credit for that? I think he should be. and round 5, while he didn't have gus staggering around, he was hurt, and jones was winning far more in that round, that say gus was winning in the first 3. I feel Jones should be given more points for winning the last 2 rounds big.

The only for sure round were:
Gus 1
Jones 4 and 5
I could see an argument either way for the other two. I had Gus winning the belt but I don't fault anyone for scoring it the other way.

This. Although I think round four is closer than you think. It depends on how you score it, gus winning the round for 4 minutes but then gettin rocked ( but recovering well ) in the last minute. It could have gone either way really depending on how you judge.... Im actually amazed not judges gave any 10-10 rounds

Shouldn't jones be given more points for almost stopping Gus in round 4? The first 3 rounds were all close. and even if gus won all 3, the rounds were very close. But round 4, Jones had gus badly hurt and running around the ring. Shouldn't Jones be given more credit for that? I think he should be. and round 5, while he didn't have gus staggering around, he was hurt, and jones was winning far more in that round, that say gus was winning in the first 3. I feel Jones should be given more points for winning the last 2 rounds big.

He didn't drop him so that would have been absurd.

It's amazing how all over the place those scores are. I'm surprised at least 1 of them didn't give rd 4 to Gus

Gus barely made it out of that round and it was fairly close up until the elbow. Don't know how anyone can give the round to Gus unless you count him being concussed and running for his life as just another strike.

I had Gus winning the first three and Jones the last two and 2 being an either way round. I can definitely see Bertrand's card. I thought 3 was Gus's round, but depending on what somebody else is seeing, I guess I could see Crosby giving it to him. I don't agree with Lee giving Jones 2 and 3, but they are close enough and judges are often more apt to lean the champ's way when a round is close. It was a close fight, I don't totally agree with the judges, but it really could have went either way, nothing really egregious here.

I thought Gus won 1, 2, 3 but it's in retrospect those decisions aren't absurd. It doesn't make sense how people can accept two judges giving Jones Rd. 2 and 3 each but think one giving him both is somehow more somehow absurd.

100 percent agree.

absolutely what I expected

2 and 3 were really close rounds.

I really wish fights under the unified rules would be properly scored though, fight as a whole Pride style or at least putting emphasis on ending it strong, especially when one fighter would likely finish the fight without the time limit.

Right now fighters get the same value for one round that could just as well be draw and one round that is as close to domination as it can get without being 10-8. How is that not complete bullshit? Not talking about this fight specifically although I think the 10 point must system definitely adds to why people feel Gus was "robbed" They are used to stupid scoring criteria...

Last edited:
Round 3 was clearly Gustaffsons while 4+5 easily belonged to Jones. I personally had Round 1 Gus and Round 2 Jones, but everybody scored the bout differently.

Point is, this was an amazing (and close) fight! Both these guys brought it and we should feel privileged as MMA fans to be able to see two true warriors give everything they had

I thought Gus won round 3 pretty clearly, I'm surprised two of them had Jones winning that. Even still, if both of the judges gave that round to Gus, it'd have been a split decision so they got it right in the end.

Absolutely right. 100% accurate posting right there.

Chris Lee needs to get fired.

extremely poor logic given the way the rounds were scored.

It's not like he gave round 1 to jones or something. The set of the other two judges have discrepancies than can be combined to make his score.

Gus barely made it out of that round and it was fairly close up until the elbow. Don't know how anyone can give the round to Gus unless you count him being concussed and running for his life as just another strike.

He didnt' even get dropped. The heck are you on about?

All 3 have jones rounds 4 and 5 which was very clear so there is no controversy. Rds 1 through 3 were tight rounds to score especially 2 and 3..

Gustafsson was landing more the first four and a half minutes, I feel that could go either way.

1,2 to Gus, 3 was close, but JJ basically only landed that LHK at the end of round 3, so i gave 3 to Gus, rounds 4,5 no doubt was JJ.

2.gif

He also had a nice elbow that round^ and some body and leg kicks.

Anyways, I had it Jones 2, 4, 5 like Judge Bertrand. Still don't agree with Lee though.

Really close fight.

Back