Officers Fatally Shoot Family

I feel for you, mang. It honestly must suck to be LEO on this board and have everybody know it. I know I join the pile on for a lot of these threads (example: this one), but I am equally empathetic to cops in general. You guys have to deal with the dregs and that has got to change a person. Most of the cases we rail against are perpetrated by the yahoos who probably shouldn't have passed their psyche eval, the others are situations where the Law is above the law. Most of my family are either PD or FD. I share all this because you're one of my favorite posters and I think you get a heap of unwarranted flack for your job.

Thanks. Most of these threads contain sorry excuses for cops, but because of their actions, the entire profession has to be defended. But this is one of the few places I can argue and discuss such topics. I can't discuss anything on officer.com or policeone because I can't stand those guys, they are the loud mouth dicks that probably are starring in their very own youtube moment. Arguing in local forums is risky, mostly job or reputation because it is somewhat easy to figure out who the officer is, but no so much the people you are arguing with-especially knowing the real story, or having even been there for some of the incidents-it can get easy to blow up at people.

Oh, and these officers made a rookie mistake. They should have left a throw-away gun on the floor and left a suicide note with something about a kibble addiction. Seems legit.

At least American cops have guns. Imagine how inhumane it'd be if they had to go around beating people's dogs to death with truncheons?

At least American cops have guns. Imagine how inhumane it'd be if they had to go around beating people's dogs to death with truncheons?

They could just license some police dogs from the Michael Vick academy

If I enter a house and see/hear a huge dog charging at me, I back out and close the door.

With that beast inside, I'd be pretty sure there are no burglars.

Lame. Cops showed up to "protect" the "property" or to go commando on bad guys?

hey, they got a call. door's open. 120 lb dog gets aggressive. what do you want?

in my experience alarms are all hassle and low reward. in this case, all hassle no reward. but i don't fault the cops for reacting to an aggressive dog. or for not patching the bullet holes like the family was complaining about (LOLOLOL). ridiculous to complain about that IMO.

lol cops are just making it harder on themselves honestly, people are going to read these articles and have nothing but hostilities towards cops. so much ignorance in this thread.

If I enter a house and see/hear a huge dog charging at me, I back out and close the door.

With that beast inside, I'd be pretty sure there are no burglars.

did the news story give a blow by blow account of what happened? we have no idea.

the door was open and it sounds like the cops went in. there's a lot of knee jerk going on over a dog. it's a fucking dog. sad for the family, but this isn't a tragedy of any order.

This is one of the things I'm always aware of on alarm calls. And make sure to teach the rookies to do as well. Look for signs of a dog, dog toys, dog food, dog house, signs and even the smell of dogshit. If you see any of the above, do the whistle thing, "here puppy, here puppy" etc. You really don't want to shoot a dog if it can be helped.

I own a dog and would be pissed if a cop shot mine. I'd personally take a bite before shooting one but thats just me. We did have an officer who was a former Marine Corps K9 handler taze a large aggressive pitbull once though. Dog got the message.

Tazer would be a good name for a pitpull.

Reminds me of the Chappelle's Show skit where the white guy is treated how black guy normally is when it comes to the law and vice versa.

The officers run into the house and the golden retriever is just sitting there. Cops are like, "Shut that fuckin dog up!" Then shoot him between the eyes.

That was funny. This is not.

Better than Axe, Fender or Woodchipper, that's for sure.

Trank might be alright, but he'd probably take awhile to respond to that name unless you called him repeatedly.

This is one of the things I'm always aware of on alarm calls. And make sure to teach the rookies to do as well. Look for signs of a dog, dog toys, dog food, dog house, signs and even the smell of dogshit. If you see any of the above, do the whistle thing, "here puppy, here puppy" etc. You really don't want to shoot a dog if it can be helped.

I own a dog and would be pissed if a cop shot mine. I'd personally take a bite before shooting one but thats just me. We did have an officer who was a former Marine Corps K9 handler taze a large aggressive pitbull once though. Dog got the message.

I have been bitten three times. The first time, it was a home invasion call where the homeowner was being held hostage by three armed men. I went in the front door with my gun drawn and his dog grabbed my gun hand and I had to shake him and finally hit him on the nose with my other hand. The call turned out to be false, with the caller being a crazy, terminally ill person.

The second time, a pitbull grabbed my forearm. I still bare the scars, but I did not report it because they would have euthanized the dog.

The third and most recent time was new years day this year. A little dog jumped up and grabbed onto my fingers. I shook it off.

I would never shoot a dog unless it was mauling a child. Never. Some officers are not as willing to take a bite, but most are. I have even instructed partners and my people under my command-that even if a dog is latched on to me, don't shoot it. Spray or taser it, but don't shoot. I could not handle seeing a dog get shot.

Cops encounter thousands of dog calls per week, and very seldom are the dogs shot. But when a dog is shot, people remember that, and regardless of the circumstances, people demonize the cops. There are certainly many instances when it was unnecessary, and even instances where I think it was a criminal act, but not all instances where dogs are shot are the same. Yet it has become en vogue to say that cops want to shoot dogs to punish people, or because they are sick and twisted.

Again, in my 12 years, three dogs have been shot by my department, and one was a mercy killing at the request of the owner. The most recent garnered protests and threats against officers and the K-9s on the department "How about we shoot your fucking dogs...." And this was for a dog deemed vicious because it repeatedly got loose and chased people while growing and barking. One guy ran from his car and barely made it inside before he was bit. And the dog was ordered to be taken out of the city and the people just moved down the street with the dog and it continually got out. Twice in the week it was shot. Yet, people still believe what they were told on facebook, or whatever, and call us names, call into hq to demand the officer be removed from the force-and none of the people calling even know the officer's name or are from anywhere near the area. And the comments the family is making are false, and they will get sued by this officer and he has a solid case.

shit happens. a dog is property and not a family member. don't have a dog or don't have an alarm system. one or the other. problem solved. not concerned about this at all.

also first!

You sound like a cat person.

A male cat person.

So, you sound like a gay person.

Thank god no police officer was harmed by this vicious dog. It's a good thing they acted in self-defense and killed this dog. Everything the cops did in this situation was on the right.

hey, they got a call. door's open. 120 lb dog gets aggressive. what do you want?

I want the intruders/police to recognize the dog is doing his job by defending his turf. I want them to consider that most people would rather have their shit stolen than their dog murdered. How about a diagram showing why it was impossible to retreat? Shooting should be the last option so let's hear about what was considered, anticipated, prevented, etc.

If the cops don't have an obligation to show up to protect you then I don't see how they have a right to trespass and destroy priceless property in the name of your defense? What's the law on home alarms?

By the way, if more details are available I haven't read about them.

yet another reason to avoid asking the cops for help. i would be worried that me or a family member had a better chance of being killed if the cops responded than a bad guy.

and of course the resident dirtbag cop in the forum makes a joke out of it. i am sure the family would have just laughed their asses off over that one!

Dog died in the line of duty, protecting his home.

Pigs on the other hand, damn they really are scum.

50ed5240ecf9058d6c2d921d50897dbfc69a095c9dcb0cf115087900d04ddec4.jpg

Back