Off Steroids, Jon Jones Looks Average

Captain Herb

10000 Likes
@Silver
Reaction score
Is Jon Jones "off steroids"? He was tested 42 times last year by three different testing orgs. Not even Jon is dumb enough to risk failing another test because it would mean a career-ending suspension (8 yrs). Everyone agrees that when it comes to fighting, Jon is on the decline. People like me have been saying it for a while and now everyone else is finally agreeing. So:

Is his competition better than ever? No, not really.

Is he worn down by fight years? No, he has taken less damage over 10+ years than anyone else I can think of

Is he just getting old? No, he is 32. Prime years for a LHW.

So what has changed? Steroids, obviously.

Let's assume that DC2 was the last time he took a heavy dose of steroids, and let's assume that he was always roided to the gills before that.

Glover, DC1 and DC2 were his last great fights. Since then, he has clearly been declining. Even his finish of Gus 2 is lackluster, and OSP could have been the first time he fought off steroids, being scared straight after his first bust. It didn't last long because soon enough he was back on the juice and was busted again after DC2.

Jon Jones is very arguably 1-2 in his last 3 fights. Jones now looks average and he will finally lose the belt in the next 3 fights, either Reyes 2, Santos 2, or winner of Jan/25-8

He doesn’t have to risk failing. He’s actually allowed to do it.

Is Jon Jones "off steroids"? He was tested 42 times last year by three different testing orgs. Not even Jon is dumb enough to risk failing another test because it would mean a career-ending suspension (8 yrs). Everyone agrees that when it comes to fighting, Jon is on the decline. People like me have been saying it for a while and now everyone else is finally agreeing. So:

Is he worn down by fight years? No, he has taken less damage over 10+ years than anyone else I can think of

Let's assume that DC2 was the last time he took a heavy dose of steroids, and let's assume that he was always roided to the gills before that.

Glover, DC1 and DC2 were his last great fights. Since then, he has clearly been declining. Even his finish of Gus 2 is lackluster, and OSP could have been the first time he fought off steroids, being scared straight after his first bust. It didn't last long because soon enough he was back on the juice and was busted again after DC2.

Jon Jones is very arguably 1-2 in his last 3 fights. Jones now looks average and he will finally lose the belt in the next 3 fights, either Reyes 2, Santos 2, or winner of Jan/25-8

Crazy how he popped for his only 2 finishes post USADA lol.

His chin was godly and his cardio was better than ever so..... <Fedor23>

IMO Yes but that's where Nostalgia gets in the way.. How does the Shogun Jones beat fair against Reyes? IMO very poorly. But Nostalgia..

Last edited:

It’s not that clear cut.

taking damage certainly is a factor to deterioration but so is the accumulated wear and tear of training at the elite level for over a decade.

We see it in all sports where damage is not a factor.

At some point in time Usain bolt will run his fastest time and then will never achieve that time ever again.

he will plateau then eventually decline without taking one punch in his life.

JJ is not immune to aging nor is he immune to wear and tear associated with training at the elite level.

There are a multitude of factors. It can’t be narrowed down to a silver bullet.

also athletes age at diffrent rates.

there is def a general band that fighters fall into that constitutes a prime so while 32 might not be considered old for a fighter it is on the back end of that prime period.

whose to say where JJ body falls in regards to assigning a prime?

Are the roids a factor? I think so but it’s a combination of factors including this.

It’s not just that.

He looks a lot slower and sloppier since he got off the roids. But he's still pulsing, so you can't say he's off them

His last 3 fights really haven't been that great compared to what came before

Whether it's due to him "coming off of steroids" or him taking a slower, less risky approach is something only he and his coaches know

Looks like the steroids made the fighter. Wish we got to see Jones vs DC with no steroids, but I suspect that Jones already knew what would happen, which is why he roided for that fight.

View attachment 728219
Santos is never fighting ever again.

gustafsson held jons hand as he was writing his will, he died later that night surrounded by hookers and people he had ripped off

jonesgus_original_crop_north.jpg

I don't like the guy at all but let's give him some fucking credit here. He was impressive in many more fights than just DC and Glover...Shogun, Vitor, Gus, Machida, Rampage and even Shael. C'mon man, I don't mind seeing him get destroyed here on Sherdog and I agree with you that he may be past his prime but the guy was VERY impressive in his ealier fights also.

Prior to UFC 182: January 3, 2015 - Jon's testosterone/epitestosterone (T/E) ratio was considered by some experts to be alarmingly low. Word of the “hiding under the cage” incident spreads.

Fail 1 : January 6, 2015 - Coke
Fail 2: July 8, 2016 - clomiphene and letrozole (1-year suspension but noted that may have been contamination)
Fail 3: August 22, 2017 - Turinabol (15-month suspension)
Fail 4: December 23, 2018 - Turinabol long term metabolite M3. (No punishment because USADA decided it was from 2017 use. Can't punish for same violation twice.)

One study estimated the detection window of M3 as 40–50 days: Detection and mass spectrometric characterization of novellong-term dehydrochloromethyltestosterone metabolites in human urine - Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

It’s extremely likely he was using Turinabol in October 2018.

Remember a month ago when all you conspiracy theorists were saying that Jones has a free pass and is still on steroids? Now he doesn't perform well and the narrative changes to agree that he's no longer on steroids. How about we just apply Occam's Razor? USADA was correct. Jones is human. Haters just believe whatever makes him look the worst.

Jones is noticeably slower now and less power. Another good example of this (but a little more extreme) is Johnny Hendricks. Within a year Hendricks was fat and slow.

His last 3 fights really haven't been that great compared to what came before

Whether it's due to him "coming off of steroids" or him taking a slower, less risky approach is something only he and his coaches know

Hard to call it "less risky approach", considering how close he was losing his last two fights. He is not deliberately fighting close fights, he is just out of his prime and probably juices less.

I just find it funny now at almost 33 would be the time he needs it the most. He’s slowing down due to age so any sort of PED would prob keep him on top a few more years.

Not fan of him, the guy is still winning and defending.
I want to see that rematch with Reyes.

Back