Off leash dogs and their stupid owners

So its OK to let your dog attack other dogs and people?

I have been around and trained dogs most of my life and I know the difference between a dog just wanting to play and be friendly and one that is aggressive.

I'm not going to let my dogs be killed or injured by an out of control dog due to a shit head owner.

I'm not going to shoot first and see if the dog was really aggressive later and depending on the size and type of dog when I would feel it was necessary to shot the dog. That's the very last thing I would want to do because I don't blame the dog but the shit head owner and think its real sad the dog has to pay for the owner being a shit head.

I have been bit by dogs before and had a gun with me and could have justified shooting the dog legally but the dog was not trying to really attack me and the bite was more of a warning and have been bit breaking up dogs fights.

Like I said I will however protect my dogs (and myself and family) and do what I need to if I have to.

Its simple the law says (in most places) if your dog is off your property they must be on a leash and there is a good reason for that.
Dogs will establish a dominance order . I find it comical your two responses were either aggression or play . You have a very skewed idea about the nature of canine instinct . You think that dogs must behave like xyz or they need to be shot . Why not have a battery operated dog then ?

Might want to reread your own links. Those links instruct how to train recall, they don't advocate unleashing dogs everywhere.

Might need to comprehend better. I didn't say everywhere. You said never. I provided links.

Again humans need to comprehend better.

Nothing worse than knife welding shitzu owners . Both dog and owner lack penis length and girth and take it out on other dogs . Sad state of affairs .

Their lack of enforcement is irrelevant to your own lack of adherence to the law.
Dogs not on a leash is a bylaw matter not a law enforcement matter unless that dog is involved in some kind of possible human conflict .

A lot of you so called dog ownership experts are really showing your lack of understanding about basic principles of dog ownership .

Their lack of enforcement is irrelevant to your own lack of adherence to the law.
Or maybe they just have good judgement & can tell that she's harmless. Honestly, she's probably more intelligent than you. So you probably belong on a leash more than she does.

I googled Cairn Terrier and it said, Temperament: Gay, Fearless, Hardy, Active, Intelligent, Assertive

It sounds like your dog was the victim of a hate crime.

Dogs will establish a dominance order . I find it comical your two responses were either aggression or play . You have a very skewed idea about the nature of canine instinct . You think that dogs must behave like xyz or they need to be shot . Why not have a battery operated dog then ?

I have had more then one dog most of my life and know full well about establishing dominance and the pack order.

Which is one of the reason they have leash laws.

I have no need to allow someone else's dog to hurt or kill my dog because they wish to establish dominance or territory.

I'm going to guess I have owned and trained dogs much longer then you.

Keeping your dog in control is about safety and respect for other people and other dogs.

I had a Chocolate Labrador who I always kept on a leash on walks even though I had no worry that he would attack other dogs. My Yellow Lab I kept on a leash because he would sometimes act aggressively towards other dogs & liked to play rough.
There was this one time some lady was opening her car door & her little dog ran out towards him & was barking and growling. I told Benny to sit & I was surprised he just sat and didn't react to the dog at all. The lady tried to blame her kids for the dog running off. I was glad that dog didn't try to bite him because then it would have been toast. I am disappointed and surprised at the lack of responsibility people have these days for their actions especially when it concerns the handling & caretaking of their pets.

I have had more then one dog most of my life and know full well about establishing dominance and the pack order.

Which is one of the reason they have leash laws.

I have no need to allow someone else's dog to hurt or kill my dog because they wish to establish dominance or territory.

I'm going to guess I have owned and trained dogs much longer then you.

Keeping your dog in control is about safety and respect for other people and other dogs.

Per this link only 2 States have leash laws like ppl think.

https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-state-dog-leash-laws

Dogs not on a leash is a bylaw matter not a law enforcement matter unless that dog is involved in some kind of possible human conflict .

A lot of you so called dog ownership experts are really showing your lack of understanding about basic principles of dog ownership .

I never said it was a law enforcement matter. If you inferred that from my statement, that is due to inductive reasoning on your part.

Or maybe they just have good judgement & can tell that she's harmless. Honestly, she's probably more intelligent than you. So you probably belong on a leash more than she does.

Attack the argument, not the person.

Grabbing a knife immediately seems a bit of an overreaction. Glad your dog isn't hurt, but that's bound to lead to some more serious trouble.

I have 3 small dogs, and dealing with irresponsible dog owners is a serious issue, but I just try and always make sure my pets are secured and deal with problems as they arise. Had you say kicked the dog REALLY HARD for biting your dog that's fair game

Dogs are not machines you cannot predict what they will do every time in all situation.

I have great dogs they are good with people and kids and other dogs. They have been socialized and love kids.

However I watch them with kids and they are on leash when out.

Why would I leash her when she stays by my feet? I do leash her, but only when I'm in public setting where I could be fined. I think 8yrs without an issue speaks for itself.
No, it doesn't. That's like saying "I ignore red lights because I'm a good driver. I think 8yrs without an issue speaks for itself".

The law is there for a reason: because without a law, people will always make an exception for themselves. It's the good old problem: "every dog should be on a leach but not mine, he's friendly. Also, he doesn't like the leach."

It's always the same thing. That's why there are leach law in almost every city. People will ALWAYS make an exception for themselves but insist on others conforming. That's why we have laws!

Per this link only 2 States have leash laws like ppl think.

https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-state-dog-leash-laws

Most leash law are established at eh city level not the state level.

Per your link.
Does my state have a leash law?

This simple question does not have a simple answer. Instead, like many areas of the law, it depends. Even though a state might not require that an owner use a leash when the dog is off-premises, the law may allow impoundment of "at-large" dogs. A dog that is at large may be defined as one who is off the owner's property unaccompanied or not on a leash. Further, a state may only require a leash in certain areas like parks and wildlife areas, or during the period between sunset and sunrise.

Additionally, while your state may not have a general requirement, your local government may. Many states view animal control (leash laws, number of animals one can maintain, prohibition on types of animals one can keep) as matters of local concern. Before you conclude that there is no leash requirement in your area, call your city or county code office to check your local law.

Most leash law are established at eh city level not the state level.

Per your link.

Additionally, while your state may not have a general requirement, your local government may. Many states view animal control (leash laws, number of animals one can maintain, prohibition on types of animals one can keep) as matters of local concern. Before you conclude that there is no leash requirement in your area, call your city or county code office to check your local law.

Lol. Yea, I just know in my city they can be unleashed if owner is near by. Its not like ppl think that dogs must be leashed if outside.

I've had this issue lately as well. My roommate has a dog and I regularly take it for walks as she apparently would rather do other stuff. Anyway, lots of white trash people around who just let their dogs run free. Shit bags.
You mean like your roommate ? Imagine she was lazy and you werent living there and she let the dog out and it got out the yard and crossed paths with soda popinksky who then stabs it .

Ive seen dogs get out of the yard while people are at work and get run over by a car . Kids can leave doors open and the dog accidently gets out . No big deal if the dog is reasonably behaved but if they cross paths with guys like soda who want to stab any dog roaming free larger than his how would you feel about that ? Having dogs in society will mean some times undesirable situations would happen but if we all over react then a lot of them will be unnecessarily killed .

Back