Odd problem my feet are exhuasted... five fingers..

yocan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Well redoing a bathroom figured no running so good way to break in my vibram five fingers. After 6 hours my toe area got tired changed to my bates boots. That was yesterday wore the boots again today but my feet are exhausted.

So temporary fix anyone have any suggestions fo rmaking my feet less beat up?

long term people that have vibrams and never had a problem, what did you do to acclimate? obviously I'm failing

When I first started wearing the vibrams, I would come home and stick my feet in a bucket of ice water. Do this a few times and the soreness will be gone.

The muscles in your feet are weak from years of wearing shoes that overprotect your feet and provide too much cushion and support.

Imagine working your first construction work shift after working in an office for years. You'll ache because you're not used to that kind of work. Same deal.

Get used to it slowly, wear them for an hour at first, then go a day without wearing them, then two hours the next day, rest, then three, etc. As for the soreness, what would you do for any other sore muscle? Ice, massage, rest, whatever.

sleep in them to break them in.

Caress them and make sweet love to them.
Let them know they shouldn't be scared.

When I first started wearing the vibrams, I would come home and stick my feet in a bucket of ice water. Do this a few times and the soreness will be gone.

You know, personally, when I go to buy shoes I do not do it with the intent of having to ice my feet at the end of the day...

Long story short, your muscles and tendons are used to the stress.

Give it time and like everything, don't go too hard in the beginning. Gradually increase the volume (time spent walking around in them).

I was fine in my after maybe 2 months of wearing a bit longer everyday.
The worst my feet have ever been was during a 'holiday' in canada. I walked maybe 10-12 miles in one day. That was painful (although I was running 7-8 miles in them ok).

edit- I stopped running in mine mid August because my right foot developed a hole.
The beginning of September I annoyed my achilles so haven't really run in them since a couple of 5 milers in ibiza in August and had slackened around July time.
I went for a gentle 2 milers on Thursday to see how my achilles was and did a 4.25 miler, nice and gentle yesterday. The reduction in calve soreness between Thursday afternoon/Friday and today is notable.

Last edited:
Ok, potentially dumb fucking question coming up: I don't wear shoes indoors. This means that I walk around in only my socks a great deal of the day. i also train BJJ without shoes (duh). All you guys who get tired feet quickly from the Vibrams, have you been wearing shoes indoors all your lives?

Ok, potentially dumb fucking question coming up: I don't wear shoes indoors. This means that I walk around in only my socks a great deal of the day. i also train BJJ without shoes (duh). All you guys who get tired feet quickly from the Vibrams, have you been wearing shoes indoors all your lives?

I dunno where you're from Voodoo, but Americans and Britts wear shoes indoors. I've always found this strange, I also do not wear shoes indoors.

I dunno where you're from Voodoo, but Americans and Britts wear shoes indoors. I've always found this strange, I also do not wear shoes indoors.

That's why i'm asking - I've also heard that americans wear shoes indoors, but dunno if it's true. I'm Swedish, and certainly don't wear shoes indoors - as such, I feel that being barefoot (as suggested) for an hour a day at first would do nothing at all.

That's why i'm asking - I've also heard that americans wear shoes indoors, but dunno if it's true. I'm Swedish, and certainly don't wear shoes indoors - as such, I feel that being barefoot (as suggested) for an hour a day at first would do nothing at all.

I'm also Swedish! Well, half Swedish...

Yeah, I usually spend a couple of weeks during the summer running around barefoot at my summer cottage. No problems.

American's can even lie in bed with their shoes on! Something I could never even fathom doing.

We do?

I don't.

At work it's quite relaxed and don't wear them even here, although I doubt that's the norm.
Indoors I never wear shoes.

Voodoo- there is a difference between walking around without shoes on and running without anything on your feet. The amount of stress from the latter is quite high on the tendons and musculature in the lower leg.
I think the adaptive phase is where people have the main problem. I also think people like yourself and me tend to think you can do more because of our lack of use of shoes when possible (so we think we're most of the way along the adaptive path).

Try running in plimsoles (easy to do and cheaper then buying vffs) and tell me how your lower legs are feeling.

edit- Don't get me wrong, I would think your tendons are stronger the people who usually wear shoes all day. But not strong enough to go running off the bat (more then say, 5 minutes).

From now until maybe April I wouldn't be surprised.

It's cheaper to put on shoes and socks then to put on the heating :p

The second best place to go on holiday after Siberia is... Scotland! :D

Atleast there's scotch a plenty.

Voodoo- there is a difference between walking around without shoes on and running without anything on your feet. The amount of stress from the latter is quite high on the tendons and musculature in the lower leg.

For sure. I just feel as though wearing the vibrams for an hour doing nothing special would be no problem at all. Only asking because I'm looking into getting some.

For sure. I just feel as though wearing the vibrams for an hour doing nothing special would be no problem at all. Only asking because I'm looking into getting some.

Fair point.

Before getting some vibrams, I would doing as I suggested to get a feel for the running style (ie pimsole runs).

right but I was going for six hours never sitting down. carrying stuff up and down the staircase. I wore them for a whole day before but I wasn't walking non stop and was fine.

Someoen wears shoes in my house they can pay to get my carpets cleaned.

Hmm i must not live in England. Everyone in England takes there shoes off in the house, is what a shoe rack by the front door is for.

Back