Octopath Traveler - a throwback to 16-bit JRPGs

Gandzooka

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Developed by Square Enix
6B5q6R4.jpg

What is it
A modern JRPG done with mostly 16-bit sprite style graphics. There are some environmental effects like water which are done with a more modern style. Devs called this style HD-2D
v6sCUFd.jpg

f3j3HKA.jpg

There are three "gimmicks" in the game:

The main one is that there are 8 characters and you can freely choose which one to start the game with. You can then freely travel around recruiting other characters of your choice in any order you want. Do note that you can't swap out your first character until you finish their story line.

The second gimmick is the job system. Jobs are like classes and each character starts with their main job. Each job has skills that you can unlock and as you unlock skills, you unlock passive support skills as well. The twist is that you can unlock every job as a secondary job for any of your characters by visiting a shrine in a nearby area. (Though a single job can be secondary job of only one character at a time). As you unlock support skills you can equip them even if you are no longer in the job that gave them to you.

Every job also gives you the ability to equip certain weapon types.

The third gimmick is that each character has a "path action" they can use to interact with NPC's.

Examples
Therion (thief) - can steal from any NPC
Olbric (warrior) -can challenge NPC to 1 vs 1 duel. Necessary for some quests. Useful for getting rid of someone standing in front of a door you want to go through.
Ophilia (cleric) -can recruit NPC to follow her and acts as a summon for battle. Depends on her level & NPC level.

Then there are 4 secret jobs you can unlock by fighting high level optional bosses...
Il0vIEA.jpg

Story:
Each character have their own personal 4 chapter story which does not intersect with the stories of other characters. However, upon finishing the stories of all 8 characters and doing a certain side quests, you unlock the true final boss .

Combat:

Turn-based where during one turn both your characters and enemies act in order determined by their speed.

Available on Switch, PC (Steam) and Stadia (lol)

I was looking forward to playing this, just don't buy it for PC. I still cannot get this to work for the life of me.

Anyone here playing it? I get that annoying "UE4 fatal error" message. I've tried every damn fix out there too, just ridiculous. I've had it almost a month, been going back and forth with Steam support too

Last edited:
didn't know there was a Stadia version. sick

still have to start this game, looks amazing

I was looking forward to playing this, just don't buy it for PC. I still cannot get this to work for the life of me.

Anyone here playing it? I get that annoying "UE4 fatal error" message. I've tried every damn fix out there too, just ridiculous. I've had it almost a month, been going back and forth with Steam support too

It's on my wishlist only a matter of time until I get it. Have you tried it on a completely separate PC? About a month ago I was having issues with Arkham City and Origins. Couldn't get either of them to work and none of the fixes worked. I randomly installed on my work PC just to see if I could get further than the batman logo before it crashes and the game worked flawlessly. I Finally just reinstalled windows 10 on my gaming PC and everything worked. When I was looking for fixes I saw one random person on reddit say that's what fixed it for them but I didn't want to do all that BS.

It's on my wishlist only a matter of time until I get it. Have you tried it on a completely separate PC? About a month ago I was having issues with Arkham City and Origins. Couldn't get either of them to work and none of the fixes worked. I randomly installed on my work PC just to see if I could get further than the batman logo before it crashes and the game worked flawlessly. I Finally just reinstalled windows 10 on my gaming PC and everything worked. When I was looking for fixes I saw one random person on reddit say that's what fixed it for them but I didn't want to do all that BS.
I only have the one gaming pc I would want to play it on. My laptop is too dated. It was a beast 8 years ago lol, but takes about 10 minutes to boot up. Even if it worked there, it wouldn't matter.

Many others have got it working, so I know it can work, but that Unreal 4 engine error is wreaking havoc still. That's par for the course for Square games on Steam for me. I've run into numerous issues over the years.

the weirdest part about this thread is that the game is apparently 2 years old and $60

i feel like i fell through a wormhole

the weirdest part about this thread is that the game is apparently 2 years old and $60

It's pretty crazy. I wonder if it's because Nintendo published the game. They are notorious for barely ever dropping their prices.

Each character have their own personal 4 chapter story which does not intersect with the stories of other characters.
This was the strangest thing to me. From what I've heard, the characters travel together in a party, but their stories all play out separately, with no interaction from the other characters. Just seems like a really odd choice.

I played this on PC and I don't remember having any problems with running it.

I did quick google search and some guy said he got it working by adding "-fullscreen" to launch options

This was the strangest thing to me. From what I've heard, the characters travel together in a party, but their stories all play out separately, with no interaction from the other characters. Just seems like a really odd choice.
Well, they do comment on each others but it is not like the bad guy in one character's story is also a bad guy in someone else's story. They all have their own stories and villains / antagonists.

I played this on PC and I don't remember having any problems with running it.

I did quick google search and some guy said he got it working by adding "-fullscreen" to launch options

Well, they do comment on each others but it is not like the bad guy in one character's story is also a bad guy in someone else's story. They all have their own stories and villains / antagonists.
Thanks man. I tried that too, number one bullshit I tells ya!

It's pretty crazy. I wonder if it's because Nintendo published the game. They are notorious for barely ever dropping their prices.
Yeah, the price is outrageous. I got it near half price, which might be good if I could play it lol. I waited a month to actually install it, my own damn fault!\

I really want to play it too, I love everything I heard about it.

Played it on the switch about a year ago.
It’s good. Long asf, I lost interest after a while but
powered through since I had already played for so long.
A good rpg and gorgeous graphics but I enjoyed other games more.

Thanks man. I tried that too, number one bullshit I tells ya!

Crap.
If steams "verify integrity of game files " -thingy (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335) doesn't help then this is getting into that weird territory where "something" in "somewhere" has broken. Maybe leftover directx component from earlier version combined with certain version of gpu drivers that has left some things behind which interfere.

At this point it goes to hardcore territory of using gpu driver uninstall programs and deleting all game related folders from computer, then re-installing directx, gpu drivers and then the game.

It was a Switch timed exclusive for a while. I have mentioned somewhere that if they do FF I-VI remakes or a Chrono Trigger remake I want it in this art style not the FF VII remake style.

Back