Ocasio Cortez compares debating to catcalling, refuses to debate Ben Shapiro.

I don't pay much attention to Ben Shapiro, but he's been on my radar since the last election because of this place. I don't recall ever having seen him challenge any politician running for office to a debate. Not once.

The same. I've never heard of this from him or from most of the people whose debates get referenced here. But I don't follow the who's debating who crowd either so maybe I just don't know, lol.

If it's unusual for him then I think she's probably 85% spot on with her assessment. "Catcall" is going to trigger a lot of people though for obvious reasons. If he's just debate propositioning her on the internet street of Twitter, the analogy isn't that crazy.

If he does this normally then she's overreacting.

You're not alone. Debate is stupid. It's a performance, a show, nothing more. You can get destroyed in a debate, and still be completely correct. You just put up a shitty performance and got dunked on by a sophist.

I'd read a debate in print, though. Neither of them would be ideal representatives for their ideas, but they can both get help. She should propose that.

funny how shapiro embodies a soyboy, a term right wingers love to use against the left
Isn't he the guy who who got handled by a tranny on some TV show?

This woman can barely make it through an interview without sounding foolish from what I've seen. Shapiro would destroy her.

Idiotic analogy. By virtue of being an elected official defending your policy ideas when asked to do so is part of your job and therefore not comparable to unsolicited sexual advances. Legit dumb comparison. Having said that, I wouldn't want to debate Shapiro either as he's a practiced pro at it.

She doesn't owe Shapiro anything, but she is way off base calling this a sexist move.

Why can't people communicate like normal people anymore?
It's quite a system they have. If you criticize any woman in office, it's because you're sexist. If you criticize any black person in office, it's racism. Maxine Waters plays both any time anyone disagrees with her.

It's quite a system they have. If you criticize any woman in office, it's because you're sexist. If you criticize any black person in office, it's racism. Maxine Waters plays both any time anyone disagrees with her.
{<jimmies}

Before I reach an opinion, does Shapiro do this often? Initiate debates with random politicians in exchange for cash or charitable donations?

I'd like to get a feel for how usual or unusual this is for him.
Crazy eyes is a low hanging fruit. $10 000 is cheap for the publicity that it would generate for Ben.

Didn't see it posted yet.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/freebea...es-shapiros-debate-request-to-catcalling/amp/

Shapiro offered 10k to her campaign or whatever to debate her, which she flat out refuses. Calls Shapiro debate challenge like "a catcall" and an "unsolicited challenge from men with bad intentions".

This lady is a loon lol

While her response didn't need any mentioning of catcalling, she didn't compare the two - she compared the sentiment of entitlement to a response between the two. There is a difference, and it's not merely semantic.

His response was equally stupid as he made an unwarranted leap in reasoning from her comparison of the two sentiments of entitlement, to her implying he's a catcaller, which as an act, ironically, shows either bad intent (deliberate conflation of the meanings) or stupidity.

This is a very good proxy for how pretty much all political debates in this country go, between Idiots and Losers - one say something, the other responds to a deliberately misinterpreted meaning of that something, and down the rabbit hole of idiocy we go.

This country is so fucked.

Shit out of luck.

metallica_hardwire_cd_lg_1.jpg

Last edited:
This makes no sense lol.

I don't think she has to worry about Ben cat calling her ever, even in real life if you catch my drift....

I don't think she has to worry about Ben cat calling her ever, even in real life if you catch my drift....
Is he out as gay or is that just the thing we all know but don't say?

Is he out as gay or is that just the thing we all know but don't say?

It's not for me to say but I could see Ben at the proverbial Blue Oyster Bar. Political hack debater by day, leather suit and jean shorts by night. Vodka soda hold the vodka though. Splash of lime.

Got dem looney toon eyes going on:

ocasio_cortez.jpg

judge_doom.jpg
Damn you. I'm never going to be able to unsee that now.

Just like the meme where Jeff Sessions is the Keibler Elf, now I won't be able to get that picture out of my head when she comes on the news.

And just like that, debates are bad...

Didn't we have war room debates not so long ago?

Crazy eyes is a low hanging fruit. $10 000 is cheap for the publicity that it would generate for Ben.

That's my impression too. And if that's the case, it's not an unfair analogy and she's not wrong with her assessment. Although a different word choice would get her better publicity.

It was an opportunity to go get some fans and she didn't.

I'd read a debate in print, though. Neither of them would be ideal representatives for their ideas, but they can both get help. She should propose that.

Yeah, a correspondence is much more valid. There's no stuttering, stammering, no loss for words in print. This is why many journals publish correspondences.

Glad I’m not alone. These YouTube political debates seem to be fairly popular but I pretty much will never click any thread or video on it because I’m genuinely not interested, so I never knew what the general feeling about debate is.

Yeah I tend not to click on them. There's this one podcast by a pakistani ex-saudi ex muslim woman based on the idea of engaging really controversial people in debate. It sounds better than it is. I personally don't like to see someone getting clobbered in debate, no matter which side their on. I'm like Joe Rogan ''STOP THE DEBATE! STOP THE DEBATE!''

Back