Observation from McGregor/Diaz I

RDA in the past 4 years was WAY more impressive than Aldo in the past 4 years.

It's a reasonable opinion. Aldo had a long layoff so he can't compete with the volume of RDA over that stretch. Maybe I'm not being fair to RDA, since a good number of his wins look less impressive now than they did (and likely were) at the time. Fair call, sans the "WAY".

MYoNk_s-200x150.gif

Whats it take to watch that video? It is blocked for me, but doesn't say because of country.
Must be someone from the UFC on sherdog because once he posted it the video got taken down from YouTube. Which one of ya goofs is it?

Conor is a killer at 145 and probably a cemented top 5 at Lw.....This is where he should continue to fight .His ego is getting himself in fights that he shouldn't be taking....
Flip side of the coin is that if he gets his revenge and finishes Nate, ill be as impressed as i possibly can.

I hope Conor reads this and shows up to the fight Art Jimmerson style!

It's a reasonable opinion. Aldo had a long layoff so he can't compete with the volume of RDA over that stretch. Maybe I'm not being fair to RDA, since a good number of his wins look less impressive now than they did (and likely were) at the time. Fair call, sans the "WAY".

Beats Cowboy up for 2 rounds
5 round savage beating of Nate Diaz
First person to KO Benson Henderson (in the 1st round at that.)
5 rounds of utter domination vs Pettis, broke him and picked him apart
Stopped Cowboy in 1st round.
KO'd by Alvarez

VS

Beat up Frankie for 5 rounds, looked good
Got starched in the 1st by Conor
5 round very close war with Mendes, looked good but took a lot of damage
Terrible yet close fight vs Lamas
Looked terrible vs KZ but was able to finish due to KZ popping his shoulder out
Beat up Frankie for 5 rounds

I think RDA has been a LOT more impressive lately tbh... And if they ever fought he'd wreck Aldo.

Beats Cowboy up for 2 rounds
5 round savage beating of Nate Diaz
First person to KO Benson Henderson (in the 1st round at that.)
5 rounds of utter domination vs Pettis, broke him and picked him apart
Stopped Cowboy in 1st round.
KO'd by Alvarez

VS

Beat up Frankie for 5 rounds, looked good
Got starched in the 1st by Conor
5 round very close war with Mendes, looked good but took a lot of damage
Terrible yet close fight vs Lamas
Looked terrible vs KZ but was able to finish due to KZ popping his shoulder out
Beat up Frankie for 5 rounds

I think RDA has been a LOT more impressive lately tbh... And if they ever fought he'd wreck Aldo.

The Lamas fight wasn't close. Aldo lost a single round. Lamas only landed 28% of his strikes and 16% of his TDs.
Aldo didn't look good against KZ beacause he hurt his foot in the first round. KZ landed 17 of 117 sig strikes on Aldo. 17. Of 117. Aldo landed 5 of his 6 TD attempts. Also Aldo's a counter striker, so when guys are timid and not willing to push, it's not always pretty. Hard to hold that against him though.

He beat Frankie Edgar twice, Mendes twice, Lamas and was beating KZ before the injury. Are Pettis/Henderson/Diaz/Cowboy better wins than Edgar/Edgar/Mendes/Mendes/Lamas? I'm not sure, but it's close at the very least.

Maybe you should watch the rest of his fights...

You have made up your mind that he only throws left hands based on a fight that he was criticised for trying to take Nate out with a big left hand.

He has plenty of different strikes in his arsenal, far more than the vast majority of fighters in the UFC.

Educate yourself.

Maybe you should watch the rest of his fights...

You have made up your mind that he only throws left hands based on a fight that he was criticised for trying to take Nate out with a big left hand.

He has plenty of different strikes in his arsenal, far more than the vast majority of fighters in the UFC.

Educate yourself.

Damn near every fight he ends finishes with a left hand.

His whole game is centered around his left hand. Everything he does, its all to set that left straight hand up.

Not saying its a bad thing, its definitely effective.

I think it is a pretty terrible idea for Conor to rematch Nate, especially so quickly.

Nate presented some significant problems for Conor and I don't see how a few months could be enough time to make the adjustments.

Conor hit Nate with his best shots and Nate was fine, Nate hit Conor with a 1-2 and Conor was lost and desperate.

Striking advantage
BJJ Advantage
Cardio Advantage
Chin Advantage
Size advantage

5 months.....

He doubled up Max Holloway in sig strikes, who is taller and has longer kicking range.

Yes, he's long; yes, he's powerful. But these are fights, not skill competitions. If you guys want to give ribbons to the guys he knocked out for being more well rounded, be my guest. But he steps into the cage, having made weight, and knocks guys out. In his short UFC career, he has wins over Jose Aldo, Chad Mendes, Max Holloway and Dustin Porier.

Listen, I don't like the guy. I was jumping up and down when he tapped and will do so again, hopefully. But please stop pretending he's not a damn good MMA fighter. If you want to gush over skills and technique, go watch Karate point bouts or capoeira. Conor McGregor fights and is damn good at it.

You're assuming far too much from my small post. I'll leave you alone with it, lol.

His whole game is centered around his left hand. Everything he does, its all to set that left straight hand up.

Striking in general is largely about setting up the power hand. That's not a Conor McGregor thing. The point of the 1-2 is the 2.

Striking in general is largely about setting up the power hand. That's not a Conor McGregor thing. The point of the 1-2 is the 2.

Yes but then there's also a 3, 4, 5, 6, all kinds of kicks, knees, elbows, etc.

McGregor's only real power shot is that left hand. He's not somebody who can finish you with anything like say Wonderboy or Anderson.

Damn near every fight he ends finishes with a left hand.

Not saying its a bad thing, its definitely effective.
Can't tell if you are agreeing with me or not.

Fighters not being able to take that left says nothing about the variation of strikes in his arsenal.

People should really give themselves a little refresher course, his fights ain't that long, start here and work your way through and come back and tell me he doesn't have a good selection of strikes.

Wonderboy and Anderson are the exception, not the rule.

Jose Aldo, Carlos Condit, Donald Cerrone, Lyoto Machida, TJ Dillashaw, Edson Barboza, Alistair Overreem, BJ Penn, etc.

Should I go on?

All of them have multiple kill shots, not just one.

McGregor's only real power shot is that left hand. He's not somebody who can finish you with anything like say Wonderboy or Anderson.
McGregor has finishes with his left and right hands, elbows against the cage, ground and pound, knees and he even finished a guy by checking a leg kick so again, do some research.

McGregor has finishes with his left and right hands, elbows against the cage, ground and pound, knees and he even finished a guy by checking a leg kick so again, do some research.

We are talking about fights that count, not bums in minor leagues...

WEC/UFC/Strikeforce fights. The big leagues vs elite competition. He got a RNC on some bum too, we don't see him doing that to UFC caliber fighters though do we?

All of Conor's UFC finishes are from a left hand. Not that its a bad thing, he just doesn't have any other real power shots. But he's so good at setting that left hand up it doesn't matter.

Back