Observation from McGregor/Diaz I

He has a sneaky right uppercut, but it was shown in the Diaz fight that another top striker will begin to time it and counter it. Because years of fighting smaller, lesser competition, he has developed bad habits and never focused on the basics of boxing.

Just look at this gif, he gets tagged as he's going to throw a lead uppercut, with his power hand (and he doesn't even attempt to mask it with a feint or a feeler jab). That is a technique that shouldn't even be considered in boxing, ESPECIALLY from a distance (But against guys like Brimage, he got away with this shit).

conor-caught-by-diaz.gif

Size and power are the reason he's been so successful. Skill for skill he's incredibly limited. His reach and power has allowed him to beat up on smaller guys over and over. It was funny to see him wilt that easily, lol.

Size and power are the reason he's been so successful. Skill for skill he's incredibly limited. His reach and power has allowed him to beat up on smaller guys over and over. It was funny to see him wilt that easily, lol.

He doubled up Max Holloway in sig strikes, who is taller and has longer kicking range.

Yes, he's long; yes, he's powerful. But these are fights, not skill competitions. If you guys want to give ribbons to the guys he knocked out for being more well rounded, be my guest. But he steps into the cage, having made weight, and knocks guys out. In his short UFC career, he has wins over Jose Aldo, Chad Mendes, Max Holloway and Dustin Porier.

Listen, I don't like the guy. I was jumping up and down when he tapped and will do so again, hopefully. But please stop pretending he's not a damn good MMA fighter. If you want to gush over skills and technique, go watch Karate point bouts or capoeira. Conor McGregor fights and is damn good at it.

Most people were too busy gushing over Conor to not only notice Nate slipping a lot of punches but Nate spent the entire first round basically throwing jabs in an effort to get his timing down (most likely because he jumped off a freaking boat right into the cage).

You can actually pinpoint the moment Nate figures it out midway through the second, Joe says something like "Conor is really busting up Nate's face here". Nate immediately starts blocking/slipping/pressuring and pulling the whole "Diaz schtick". Then he times a beautiful 1-2 off of Conors lean left uppercut tell (lean right is the straight left) and puts it on him.

Conor fans will pretend he gassed but that's kind of a cop out considering he was preparing for a 5rd fight with a cardio machine in RDA. He just got punched in the jiblets by a bigger fighter and wilted.

Another thing I don't see people mention very often is Diaz slipping the majority of the punches Connor threw. If you had never watched the fight before you would be under the assumption that Connor was landing flush bombs.

The "cornerman audio" video was floating around on here just after the fight - which shows the fight from alternate angles - Diaz actually rolls with/slips a lot of the punches that looked like they landed flush on the live feed.

These guys were having a pretty good civil dispute and then you gotta come in acting like you're 10. Lol
there was 2 guys disputing??? Shows how much of a fuck I give, I guess... carry on with your mesmerizement of that wonderful dispute and disregard me

Last edited:
Conor fans will pretend he gassed but that's kind of a cop out considering he was preparing for a 5rd fight with a cardio machine in RDA. He just got punched in the jiblets by a bigger fighter and wilted.

Conor was shocked and didn't have anything for a guy who he couldn't bully. If he goes in with the same gameplan, he's going to get tapped again. But he was quicker to the punch and landed a good deal. I do think we need to take Nate's timing into consideration - certainly. But Conor will land and that's dangerous for 145s and 155s alike, including Diaz. I put it at 60/40 Diaz, but I can't take the people completely counting Conor out very seriously.

Whats it take to watch that video? It is blocked for me, but doesn't say because of country.

Diaz has never faced an opponent on the level of Jose Aldo, let alone defeated one.

You know size matters right? Aldo would never beat Rory MacDonald, despite being a better fighter. Neither could Conor.

Conor was shocked and didn't have anything for a guy who he couldn't bully. If he goes in with the same gameplan, he's going to get tapped again. But he was quicker to the punch and landed a good deal. I do think we need to take Nate's timing into consideration - certainly. But Conor will land and that's dangerous for 145s and 155s alike, including Diaz. I put it at 60/40 Diaz, but I can't take the people completely counting Conor out very seriously.
Very Firas like analysis lol.

Yeah Conor has to make some serious adjustments to be successful, though. Nate's gonna be sharp out of the gate this time. Conor has to open his game up and really do some different things to setup his left hand (which he's shown to be capable of) from range. His ego got him suckered into a pseudo boxing match and that's not the way to beat Nate. Especially, when your boxing is limited to a big left hand.

I actually picked Conor by dec (do a pick em league on a diff site) the first time as I thought he would be a little too much for "No notice Nate". I thought Nate would give him some problems for the exact reasons he did, though. I underestimated Nate's out of camp shape and abilities and thought Conor would ease off the gas a little earlier thus being able to slow the pace down a bit and pick an "unsharp" Nate apart. Full camp Nate is gonna be quite the challenge.

Got Nate getting the stoppage a little later this time. Late 3rd/early 4th imo.

Diaz has never faced an opponent on the level of Jose Aldo, let alone defeated one.

Styles make fights.

RDA in the past 4 years was WAY more impressive than Aldo in the past 4 years.

Benson when Nate fought him was also the world champ and was a fucking beast.

He doesnt only have a left hand, he has a great varied striking arsenal. His problem in the diaz fight is he wasnt using that arsenal to its full extent. He was over relient on his left hand and just going for the kill shot which eventually led to him gassing

Back