Observation from McGregor/Diaz I

He has a sneaky right uppercut, but it was shown in the Diaz fight that another top striker will begin to time it and counter it. Because years of fighting smaller, lesser competition, he has developed bad habits and never focused on the basics of boxing.

Just look at this gif, he gets tagged as he's going to throw a lead uppercut, with his power hand (and he doesn't even attempt to mask it with a feint or a feeler jab). That is a technique that shouldn't even be considered in boxing, ESPECIALLY from a distance (But against guys like Brimage, he got away with this shit).

conor-caught-by-diaz.gif
Ahhh mate, god bless you.

Haha, most of the dudes on here have no idea what ACTUAL boxing looks like.

He is throwing a back handed uppercut with the power hand from half-way across the damn cage lol, against a long straight puncher - his boxing fundamentals are horrible.

He has a sneaky right uppercut, but it was shown in the Diaz fight that another top striker will begin to time it and counter it. Because years of fighting smaller, lesser competition, he has developed bad habits and never focused on the basics of boxing.

Just look at this gif, he gets tagged as he's going to throw a lead uppercut, with his power hand (and he doesn't even attempt to mask it with a feint or a feeler jab). That is a technique that shouldn't even be considered in boxing, ESPECIALLY from a distance (But against guys like Brimage, he got away with this shit).

conor-caught-by-diaz.gif
Most European fighters like that weird looping uppercut that's thrown from a mile away. I always fought it was more clowning that anything, but I guess after McGregor landed it more often than not...

yea as far as punches go. Do you box?
This isn't boxing though, it's mixed martial arts.

If you are going to be one dimensional in the sense of only being a striker - at least have an arsenal of strikes!

Nate Diaz in a pure boxing match, in a boxing ring absolutely smokes Conor.

conor-caught-by-diaz.gif
That gif pisses me off. Reason. Surely he should know that's a 1-2 coming. Loading up an uppercut after he's been jabbed mid combo. I'm sure it's different in there but fuckkkk.. Frustrating shit. He had a horrible game plan lol.

Ahhh mate, god bless you.

Haha, most of the dudes on here have no idea what ACTUAL boxing looks like.

He is throwing a back handed uppercut with the power hand from half-way across the damn cage lol, against a long straight puncher - his boxing fundamentals are horrible.
I like how you started this thread with a neutral position but have ended up essentially bashing McGregor and his abilities. Geez. Anyways, he has a good grasp on basic boxing, that's why he's the current champ.

Another thing I don't see people mention very often is Diaz slipping the majority of the punches Connor threw. If you had never watched the fight before you would be under the assumption that Connor was landing flush bombs.

Dude you have no life whatsoever, you have the equivalent of a post every hour since youve joined this site and yes I do mean 24 posts a day, thats pretty sad, you need to go outside more.

That gif pisses me off. Reason. Surely he should know that's a 1-2 coming. Loading up an uppercut after he's been jabbed mid combo. I'm sure it's different in there but fuckkkk.. Frustrating shit. He had a horrible game plan lol.
I think he was completely shocked that stuck-in-damud Diaz could take his shots LOL

But yeah, hopefully he's smart enough to alter his attack and include some jabs and feints this time around.

Why the fuck would he have to do anything else if he only needs 1 hand to beat everyone.

Yeah, that's true. He should just Roy Nelson it up the rest of his career......you know, because using only one tool worked well for him, eh? You know, almost the exact same tool.

Sometimes when you wanna dig a ditch you bring a shovel.......not a rake.

I like how you started this thread with a neutral position but have ended up essentially bashing McGregor and his abilities. Geez. Anyways, he has a good grasp on basic boxing, that's why he's the current champ.
Current champ who refuses to fight at his weight.

I don't like Conor, everyone around here knows this.

I try to be as neutral as possible because aimlessly bashing is ignorant. I'm "bashing" based off of factual information which I'm observing with my own eyes.

He has not got a grasp on basic boxing, because he looks stupid against every top boxer he spars with and the one time he faced a "good" MMA boxer, he was rocked multiple times and turned into a grappler.

You're the ReasonableMMAFan with the yellow lol, don't throw dirt on my name.

Another thing I don't see people mention very often is Diaz slipping the majority of the punches Connor threw. If you had never watched the fight before you would be under the assumption that Connor was landing flush bombs.
You're talking my language here.

Current champ who refuses to fight at his weight.

I don't like Conor, everyone around here knows this.

I try to be as neutral as possible because aimlessly bashing is ignorant. I'm "bashing" based off of factual information which I'm observing with my own eyes.

He has not got a grasp on basic boxing, because he looks stupid against every top boxer he spars with and the one time he faced a "good" MMA boxer, he was rocked multiple times and turned into a grappler.

You're the ReasonableMMAFan with the yellow lol, don't throw dirt on my name.
Current champ who hasn't fought at his weight since...five months ago?

He has one relax sparring session he's released with a pro champion boxer and a single fight where he underperformed and you think he has bad boxing, huh? Very un biased and intellectually honest of you.

To be fair McGregor slipped some of Nate's punches as well.

While I agree that the left hand is Connor's best weapon, he has a really good overall striking skillset.

In a way he is like prime Mirko CroCop. CroCop was a brilliant strikes but his whole game was based around setting up his left high kick. Both Conor and CroCop have good footwork/timing/precision/technique and were good at using all their skills to set up their main weapon which is the fight finisher.

Conors kicks arent all that powerful but its still a kick and if you take enough of them you're going to start feeling it.

Wanna know why Conor has developed a good spinning back kick? Its so he can stop/discourage his opponents from circling away from his left hand. Circle to the right = spinning back kick. Circle to the left = left straight. You saw him employ this strategy in the Mendes fight.

Literally his whole game is about setting up his left hand, but that's not bad because he's really fucking good at setting up that left hand.

As a fan of kickboxing and boxing as their own sports, this man is nowhere near an elite striker.

He's an elite MMA striker. 17 of his 22 fights have ended by KO in his favor. 17 professional fighters and their coaches couldn't stop him from landing his left hand. Being one dimensional is only a negative if they can shut down that part of your game.

How many technically superior boxers did Mike Tyson knock out in his career? Were they better strikers?

Watched Conor vs Nate again today (free fight on BT Youtube channel), and I'm pretty surprised at what I saw.

Many people use the claim that "Conor McGregor only has a left hand", and I used to think at times that it was a little harsh. As time goes on and he has more fights it's starting to sure look like that though, and I've seen it now for myself!

I tried to keep count at first, but got quite bored of it - but seriously this guy seems to only throw straight left hands! Please rewatch the fight and just pay super close attention to the repetition of his left hands. People talk about this guy's striking like it's a thing of beauty, and I find that notion quite ridiculous.

As a fan of kickboxing and boxing as their own sports, this man is nowhere near an elite striker. He simply has god given power and a size advantage over 90% of his opponents thus far. He throws in some point-scoring kicks to the legs and the body, with useless spinning back head kicks and the odd right hand here and there.

In this fight I would say 90% of his shots were reaching, full power, over extensive left straights. He throws the odd left uppercut to boot, but nevertheless - just left hands.

Does he even have power in the right hand? I don't think I've seen him rock someone with it, well not anyone of any worth that is.

Scary to thing when your reminded of your initial beliefs of a fighter - I just think he's so overrated.

Diaz vs McGregor II is almost upon us... with every moment that passes I become more certain of a Diaz win.

You better hope...

I also noticed something new

Conor broke around 4 mins into round one

This isn't boxing though, it's mixed martial arts.

If you are going to be one dimensional in the sense of only being a striker - at least have an arsenal of strikes!

Nate Diaz in a pure boxing match, in a boxing ring absolutely smokes Conor.

Only thing that worries me is the preparation of Nate. I don't think he's taking it as seriously as Conor. It's been 5 months since the last fight. And Conor has been training super seriously and specifically for Nate. Do you think it's enough time to ''Catch up'' so to speak?

Dude you have no life whatsoever, you have the equivalent of a post every hour since youve joined this site and yes I do mean 24 posts a day, thats pretty sad, you need to go outside more.
You've got no life because you just sat there and did a calculation of my average posts son lol.

He's an elite MMA striker. 17 of his 22 fights have ended by KO in his favor. 17 professional fighters and their coaches couldn't stop him from landing his left hand. Being one dimensional is only a negative if they can shut down that part of your game.

How many technically superior boxers did Mike Tyson knock out in his career? Were they better strikers?

Not saying much since MMA striking is shite.

Back