Observation from McGregor/Diaz I

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Watched Conor vs Nate again today (free fight on BT Youtube channel), and I'm pretty surprised at what I saw.

Many people use the claim that "Conor McGregor only has a left hand", and I used to think at times that it was a little harsh. As time goes on and he has more fights it's starting to sure look like that though, and I've seen it now for myself!

I tried to keep count at first, but got quite bored of it - but seriously this guy seems to only throw straight left hands! Please rewatch the fight and just pay super close attention to the repetition of his left hands. People talk about this guy's striking like it's a thing of beauty, and I find that notion quite ridiculous.

As a fan of kickboxing and boxing as their own sports, this man is nowhere near an elite striker. He simply has god given power and a size advantage over 90% of his opponents thus far. He throws in some point-scoring kicks to the legs and the body, with useless spinning back head kicks and the odd right hand here and there.

In this fight I would say 90% of his shots were reaching, full power, over extensive left straights. He throws the odd left uppercut to boot, but nevertheless - just left hands.

Does he even have power in the right hand? I don't think I've seen him rock someone with it, well not anyone of any worth that is.

Scary to thing when your reminded of your initial beliefs of a fighter - I just think he's so overrated.

Diaz vs McGregor II is almost upon us... with every moment that passes I become more certain of a Diaz win.

You better hope...

I've been saying this for a long time now. The dude's very effective in the FW division with his style, but his style and attack are extremely limited and one dimensional.

Why the fuck would he have to do anything else if he only needs 1 hand to beat everyone.

I've been saying this for a long time now. The dude's very effective in the FW division with his style, but his style and attack are extremely limited and one dimensional.
I honestly did not see this before, I knew he threw them a lot - but this is alarming!

This "elite" striker who only has one strike.

Nowadays, I tend to agree. It wasn't always like this before, but he fell in love with his power and chin and forgot everything else. Occasionally he throws non-committal spinning back kicks to set up his left, but he doesn't even do that so much anymore.

That one hand butchered Nate's face. Anyone else would be on their back catching flies!

I rewatched it on Fox. I realized he didn't hit Diaz as much as I originally thought. And he doesn't have that big of an arsenal of strikes like the UFC wants to portray. That stupid spinning kick, an uppercut and a left hand is all he seems to have.

I honestly did not see this before, I knew he threw them a lot - but this is alarming!

This "elite" striker who only has one strike.
He has a sneaky right uppercut, but it was shown in the Diaz fight that another top striker will begin to time it and counter it. Because years of fighting smaller, lesser competition, he has developed bad habits and never focused on the basics of boxing.

Just look at this gif, he gets tagged as he's going to throw a lead uppercut, with his power hand (and he doesn't even attempt to mask it with a feint or a feeler jab). That is a technique that shouldn't even be considered in boxing, ESPECIALLY from a distance (But against guys like Brimage, he got away with this shit).

conor-caught-by-diaz.gif

Why the fuck would he have to do anything else if he only needs 1 hand to beat everyone.
one dimensional fighters are doomed to get owned pretty hard. I'm sure you know that being a Conor and Ronda fan.

I rewatched it on Fox. I realized he didn't hit Diaz as much as I originally thought. And he doesn't have that big of an arsenal of strikes like the UFC wants to portray. That stupid spinning kick, an uppercut and a left hand is all he seems to have.
Exactly the same as me.

When I watched it live I was saddened, I felt like Diaz was being picked apart.

Upon rewatching it, he really didn't hit him all that much to be honest. The blood exacerbates everything, but most of these guys have never watched Nathan Diaz before this fight so have no idea about scar tissue etc.

Diaz actually started to land his shots at the end of Round 1, but people ignore that.

Most of those attacks could put away your average FW and LW.

Back