Objectively, which is the better UFC career?

I honestly think Usman by far. Khabib just all of a sudden got claimed as goat by some after he retired undefeated. Which as you pointed out is Very impressive, but his record is easily outdone. Just the fact that you had to mention Iaquinta as one if his biggest wins, says a lot about his record.

Tougher in competition, not actual toughness... It's a far more competitive division.
Meant to say Usman.
A division can be competitive, sure. But what does that really mean? It just means that the fighters there are close to each other in skill level. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the overall skill level is high in said division.

They've had identical careers. Anyone that argues for one side or the other isn't being objective.

I honestly think Usman by far. Khabib just all of a sudden got claimed as goat by some after he retired undefeated. Which as you pointed out is Very impressive, but his record is easily outdone. Just the fact that you had to mention Iaquinta as one if his biggest wins, says a lot about his record.
Yeah to me dominance and not taking damage is more of a reflection of the people you’re fighting. To be great to me, you have to beat great fighters at their best. No matter how much damage you take or dominance you display, it’s just about getting the job done under any circumstances. Conor McGregor is a popular fighter. He’s exciting to watch. But is he great in terms of skill and talent? Does he have any title defenses? You can ask Khabib fans and even most of them will tell you otherwise. Conor has five losses. And one of them is to a person with close to 50-50 win-lose ratio. How is he one of Khabib’s best wins? Where are the champions and former champions?

Meant to say Usman.
A division can be competitive, sure. But what does that really mean? It just means that the fighters there are close to each other in skill level. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the overall skill level is high in said division.
It does, because there's a larger pool of talent to make up the top places... The more high level competition from top to bottom, the harder it is to make it to the top obviously, and Lightweight is stacked.
You know how Heavyweight skill level is absolute shit compared to Featherweight for a more extreme example.

Yeah to me dominance and not taking damage is more of a reflection of the people you’re fighting. To be great to me, you have to beat great fighters at their best. No matter how much damage you take or dominance you display, it’s just about getting the job done under any circumstances. Conor McGregor is a popular fighter. He’s exciting to watch. But is he great in terms of skill and talent? Does he have any title defenses? You can ask Khabib fans and even most of them will tell you otherwise. Conor has five losses. And one of them is to a person with close to 50-50 win-lose ratio. How is he one of Khabib’s best wins? Where are the champions and former champions?
I mean Conor is, at worst, the 4th most accomplished FW in the history of the sport.

Probably a good name to have on your resume.

I mean Conor is, at worst, the 4th most accomplished FW in the history of the sport.

Probably a good name to have on your resume.
In the UFC maybe but he never defended the title there, and this is the lightweight division we’re talking about.

In the UFC maybe but he never defended the title there, and this is the lightweight division we’re talking about.
This is like saying GSP defeating BJ Penn is an irrelevant win.

Please stop.

RDA is the worst fighter you listed on Usman’s resumé. he’s 4th best for Khabib. it’s not even close really.

This is like saying GSP defeating BJ Penn is an irrelevant win.

Please stop.
No, I don’t think I will.
BJ Penn has shown that his skill set transfers up to welterweight, by beating top welterweights and being consistent in his performances against them. He’s also fought higher than welterweight. Conor McGregor will have a losing record at lightweight here pretty soon. And Khabib fought this same person after a two year layoff.
Poirier is his best win and Poirier isn’t even a champion himself.

Compare that to Woodley who was building a resume at welterweight to put himself in the same bracket as Hughes before Usman beat him.

Slight edge to Usman but if (when) he eventually gets beat his entire career will be discredited. As we do.

Slight edge to Khabib imo. Both guys were/are very dominant. I cant wait to see Colby vs Usman 2. That will be a great fight.

No, I don’t think I will.
BJ Penn has shown that his skill set transfers up to welterweight, by beating top welterweights and being consistent in his performances against them. He’s also fought higher than welterweight. Conor McGregor will have a losing record at lightweight here pretty soon. And Khabib fought this same person after a two year layoff.
Poirier is his best win and Poirier isn’t even a champion himself.

Compare that to Woodley who was building a resume at welterweight to put himself in the same bracket as Hughes before Usman beat him.
Conor and BJ literally have the same record (1-2), and won a championship, at the respective weight class above their normal weight class (Conor at LW and BJ at WW).

Conor and BJ's careers are actually nearly identical to each others, except one was a LW that moved up to WW and briefly won a championship and the other was a FW that moved up to LW and briefly won a championship.

This thread is supposed to be about objectivity so I'm trying to help you out here.

Khabib
LW is just tougher.

Look at RDA, Masvidal, Burns, Chiesa having success at WW. 3 of those 4 couldn't even crack the top 10 at LW.

Usman fought Burns and Colby, two elite grapplers.

Khabib is lucky he didn't fight a wrestler

Khabib. More competitive division. 4 of Usmans wins being lightweights proves that point

Back