1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Objectively, which is the better UFC career?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by DS66, Jun 16, 2021.

1. DS66 Brown Belt

Usman: 14-0, 5-0 in title fights, wins over Colby, Woodley, Leon, Maia, RDA, Burns, Masvidal x2

Khabib: 13-0, 4-0 in title fights, wins over Poirier, Gaethje, Conor, RDA, Barboza, Iaquinta, Michael Johnson

I think many people would automatically say Khabib, but if we look at things 100% objectively (I know, tough to do for a lot of Sherdoggers), I don't think the answer is conclusive at all. In fact it seems very, very even, both from an overall record standpoint and level of competition.

It would be very tough for me to rank one career over the other at this point, I think it's disingenuous for people to definitively claim that Khabib is one of the GOATS without also including Usman there. In fact I might give Usman the slight edge overall, as he has an extra title defense and has developed the ability to strike at a high level and finish people on the feet, to go along with his elite grappling (while Khabib remained a bit more one dimensional in his career). But I also wouldn't fault someone for ranking Khabib slightly higher, as there's some subjectivity there and both are top 10-15 all-time greats IMO. I just think objectively, the gap isn't very large. Would love to hear other objective Sherdoggers' opinions here who can look at things without using emotion.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  2. Unfinished Green Belt

Khabib of course. Wins over Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier is more impressive than anything Usman has done.

3. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

Marty has had the better career.

DaRivv20, Felsh, Rust Cohle and 4 others like this.
  4. rear naked ankle pick not very good poster

5. GolovKing Purple Belt

Khabib, his best wins were prime fighters and among the best in the UFC, especially poirier, Conor, and rda yet khabib struggled less than Usman has against his opposition

6. Pillar of Society Blue Belt

Usman.
    Even Khabib's fans themself shit on Khabib's 2nd or 3rd best win, Conor.
    The only 2 top world class fighters that he beat are Justin and Dustin.
    Not enough to be better than former Snoozeman, striking machine nowdays

DaRivv20, Rust Cohle and Superzorro like this.
  7. Mammothman Gold Belt

The one that have his 0

8. Orochimaru 大蛇丸 Silver Belt Platinum Member

I don't think the fights before they got the title are that important in these discussions

At the moment it's very close because Khabib beat better people, and looked invincible, while Usman beat more people, but looked human against Colby, and the quality of competition was lesser

By the time Usman ends he'll probably be higher though, if he went up and beat Izzy he'd be way ahead

Mmmmmmma1234 likes this.
  9. Fesaine Black Belt

Khabib is far more dominant and has better wins but it's close.

A.S. Deep likes this.
  10. NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

Maybe slight edge to Usman but not sure why you left out Michael Johnson and Pat Healy who were both top 10 when they lost to Khabib.

Dude Incredible and G10 like this.
  11. Brutus....... Orange Belt

Khabib’s quality of opponent may be slightly higher (not that it’s fantastic), and his wins are more dominant. But Usman seems to be getting more finishes now too.

Usman is more active, which should be applauded. There’s not much difference between the two right now. A couple more wins and Usman moves ahead.

Odoylerules4lyf and YungSithLxrd like this.
  12. Rozko Black Belt

Khabib made more fighting Connor then Usamn has in 14 fights most likely.

13. maximus__ Brown Belt

Khabib because he became the PPV star and got the big pay day against Mcgregor. Usman should go up to 185 and take Izzy's belt because I think he would have great success at 185.

14. Snarly Blue Belt

I had written a bunch of text and after reflection I realized it was crapping on a lot of good fighters who didn't deserve it. Both are great, dominant fighters with admirable careers. If Usman retired today it would probably be him, but if you ask this question at the time he retires it may be a different answer; he could, and probably will, lose his 0 by then.

P.S. Khabib lost to Tibau

15. Only Here for Attachments Bacon Lettuce and Mayo

Khabib because he doesn't have to deal with this shit anymore. Just sit back, eat all the halal pizza he wants, and rake in the rubles.

16. laleggenda27 Brown Belt

Although their resumes are relatively comparable, I'd still give Khabib the slight edge. But the real difference is that Khabib has looked more dominant in his wins.

With a couple more wins, Usman will clearly have the deeper resume. But many (if not most) people will still hold Khabib in higher regard because of how dominant he was. If Usman strings together 5 or 6 more title defenses or moves up and gets the MW belt, the narrative might be different. But for now, Khabib is ahead of him in the pecking order.

Superzorro likes this.
  17. Azyy !!!

Usman. He did it in a shorter time and fought a greater range of skill sets, including bad matchups. Plus Usman doesn’t have a fight like the Tibau fight in the UFC.

Usman also has 100% TDD and 0 seconds of being controlled, unlike Khabib who has 84% TDD and has been controlled.

I understand why people would pick Khabib but imo Conor and Justin are very overrated and I don’t think those wins will age well. Once Usman beats Colby again and/or Wonderboy/Leon it’ll be undeniable.

Superzorro likes this.
  18. StoneColdSteveAustin Silver Belt

Khabib retired Much too early.

Superzorro and SexyBaroni like this.
  19. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

Yeah tough one, Lightweight Division being a tougher division I think edges it to Khabib for me.
    As well as his dominance.

20. dildos Titanium Belt

Usman.

Only blind khabib ovary huggers would say otherwise.

DaRivv20 likes this.