Obamacare experiences -- post 'em if you've got 'em

ACA expanded the medicaid coverage in my state to include low income. This allowed me to get insurance through them. My meds went from about 40 bucks a month (and that was ordering from Canada, 150 if I went through a pharmacy here) to costing me nothing. And considering that I just finished paying off a hospital stay where they literally sat me in a corner of a room with about 30 other people and did nothing for 16 hours, it is pretty nice to have a little peace of mind that that should not happen again. So my completely worthless anecdotal evidence is that the ACA has been a good thing.

ACA expanded the medicaid coverage in my state to include low income. This allowed me to get insurance through them. My meds went from about 40 bucks a month (and that was ordering from Canada, 150 if I went through a pharmacy here) to costing me nothing. And considering that I just finished paying off a hospital stay where they literally sat me in a corner of a room with about 30 other people and did nothing for 16 hours, it is pretty nice to have a little peace of mind that that should not happen again. So my completely worthless anecdotal evidence is that the ACA has been a good thing.

how much do you pay

I do not pay anything for coverage, it is medicaid. I do not know off hand for deductibles and such. I still pay out of pocket for my doctor, but he is the family physician and I have been going to him for over a decade, and he helps me out with physician costs quite a bit.

Yes and my insurance doesn't fully cover hospital stays after i pay my deductible.(80%)... that's if they decide they will cover it.

So if God forbid i ever have a serious incident that lands me in the hospital, the chances are I am still not going to be able to afford the bills and go bankrupt while still being required to subsidize a disgustingly greedy industry under force of law.

...but the hospital will still get most of the money owned and not have to pass on your cost to others. That is the whole point.

Of course since your plan sound horrible there is a chance you still could quality for a different plan through the exchanges, depending on your income and/or how many people at your employeer take their coverage.

and there we have it, I pay $20,000.00 for my family so someone else can get it for free

No one knows how that shit works.

I picture the "insurance company" as a random number generator, and a free online risk assessment app, run by some low level illuminati henchmen.

As an aside, the probability that I would pay those two exact amounts works out to around 23^900.

:) Um, yeah, that's the thread. "Do you guys have any anecdotes?" If you want data, look at it. The law has been a spectacular success (lowest cost growth on record, huge decline in the number of uninsured people, long-term deficit projections drastically lowered as a result of the cost slowdown).

Oh, right. I still have to agree with whoever it was I quoted earlier, every single experience matches exactly to peoples political beliefs.

What is funny is if you google 20k a year insurance cost, the first two things that popped up were a conservative news site saying the irs said thats how much a family can expect to pay, and the next item is a fact checking site that completely debunks it.

I find it almost impossible to believe that you are paying 20k out of pocket every year for insurance.

What is funny is if you google 20k a year insurance cost, the first two things that popped up were a conservative news site saying the irs said thats how much a family can expect to pay, and the next item is a fact checking site that completely debunks it.

I find it almost impossible to believe that you are paying 20k out of pocket every year for insurance.

No chance...he is the worst Sherdog poster for a reason

no you dont

I'll bet you any amount of money, I haven't paid yet but that is the premiums on the policy we are about to take. I've been talking to insurance companies non stop for the last few weeks.

If I can figure out how to get my personal information I'll paste it here.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

The ACA included a lot more than just covering people without insurance. There were also a lot of changes in the way healthcare companies are re-reimbursed for treating patients on all forms of government healthcare including Medicare.

Don't get me wrong, something needed done and still does but on the health care side, at least so far, the program has done little to lower costs or improve care. We are still doing the same tests and giving the same treatments. From what I have seen so far the only difference is that now, we arent getting paid for them.

It's a big deal in really poor areas like mine where most of the healthcare is funded by government program reimbursements.

1 of my biggest complaints when this was being passed was that it didn't address the rising cost of health care

I'll bet you any amount of money, I haven't paid yet but that is the premiums on the policy we are about to take. I've been talking to insurance companies non stop for the last few weeks.

If I can figure out how to get my personal information I'll paste it here.

Just post your zip code. With that it would not be hard to go on your state's exchange website and look at the prices.

You could also go the that website and take a screen shot and post it.

and there we have it, I pay $20,000.00 for my family so someone else can get it for free

It didn't "fuck" anything up.

It traded more stable health costs in a spiraling out of control medical industry but passed many of those costs off to the consumer. Hypothetically, those costs should go down as health care costs become more manager (although that will likely never happen) but things like 'network coverage' did not get worse. That is something that has existed for decades.

1 of my biggest complaints when this was being passed was that it didn't address the rising cost of health care

yup......lets just force everyone to by into a fucked up system! Actually fix the system? Why the hell would you do that?

yup......lets just force everyone to by into a fucked up system! Actually fix the system? Why the hell would you do that?

That is because fixing the system, ie single payer, was not an option. Thing is with ACA the system is less fucked up.

Back