Obamacare experiences -- post 'em if you've got 'em

What if I used to go to a local witch doctor for all of my body's deficiencies, and I used to pay in goat heads. Under the new law, I'm now forced to pick a plan and pay a percentage of my income every month, under the threat of force. Do I not have the right to treat my own damn body in the fashion that I see fit?

I see your point... My point is what if you get into a car accident and are in a coma? Someone has to pay for your medical stay.

Obviously the law is far from perfect and people seem to be getting screwed in many ways by it, but the overall point is that people can now get basic healthcare without having it issued through their employer.

I have a similar plan , an HSA with a 5k deductible. You are essentially paying for catastrophic insurance , that and ensuring the insurance company can still turn a handsome profit while insuring the people that benefited from OC. Its basically socialized medicine that is administered by a private enterprise/enterprises that are seeking a profit instead of the govt.

I wouldn't be so mad if the deductible wasn't so high or if i had co-payments, but i don't.
I am just confused what specifically am i getting for the $5000 in premiums each year?

I am still not going to go to the doctor because it will cost me full price. so after paying $5000 it's like i have no insurance at all, until i bribe them with another $2500.

the plan literally does NOTHING for me for the first 7499 dollars yet i am still not going to cost the health industry one dime.

What if I used to go to a local witch doctor for all of my body's deficiencies, and I used to pay in goat heads. Under the new law, I'm now forced to pick a plan and pay a percentage of my income every month, under the threat of force. Do I not have the right to treat my own damn body in the fashion that I see fit?

No, because treating your body the way you see it affects others when we have to use our taxes to pay for your bum ass after you get into an accident

I wouldn't be so mad if the deductible wasn't so high or if i had co-payments, but i don't.
I am just confused what specifically am i getting for the $5000 in premiums each year?

I am still not going to go to the doctor because it will cost me full price. so after paying $5000 it's like i have no insurance at all, until i bribe them with another $2500.

the plan literally does NOTHING for me for the first 7499 dollars yet i am still not going to cost the health industry one dime.

Seeing a a single hospital stay can run over $10,000 it can save you money if that happens. Of course no insurance policy gets you anything if you never use it.

Escalade? Spinners too?

I don't know where you live, but I'm moving, just for that insurance.

Yeah, man, it's the greatest country on Earth as long as you're a minority.

I switched jobs and the insurance my new job offers is garbage.
It's not worth it to me.
In the past i would have just gone without, especially as i have not been to the doctors in 10 years or so.
But now i am forced to overpay to a company i hate for garbage coverage.

It cost me ~$5000 per year to just cover me (mid 30's) and my deductible is 2500.
It doesn't cover any doctor office visits, it doesn't cover any hospital visits, or anything else until i have paid the full deductible. So what does $5000 get me per year? absolutely nothing but a card that might cover some of my expenses after i bribe them another $2500 dollars. So it takes them $7500 per year for them to chip in one fucking cent.

I was unemployed for 3 or so months so I didn't have coverage for a very short period of time and if the IRS penalizes me for not buying something that i didn't want and couldn't afford, then this registered Democrat will NEVER vote democrat again under any circumstance.

is this gold or silver?

This is pretty much what I hear from everyone, 2500 is a horrible deductible but it's way better than 5-6 thousand. I bet you actually have coinsurance after your deductible is met that will increase your exposure more than $7,500.00. Without a HSA most people just simple aren't going to go to the doctor, pay that much in premiums and still have to pay full price for services is bullshit

Seeing a a single hospital stay can run over $10,000 it can save you money if that happens. Of course no insurance policy gets you anything if you never use it.

Yes and my insurance doesn't fully cover hospital stays after i pay my deductible.(80%)... that's if they decide they will cover it.

So if God forbid i ever have a serious incident that lands me in the hospital, the chances are I am still not going to be able to afford the bills and go bankrupt while still being required to subsidize a disgustingly greedy industry under force of law.

What I find hilarious is people's experience with Obamacare/ACA (and even what they call it) is almost 100% perfectly aligned with which party they affiliate with, or whether or not they supported or opposed it 3 years ago.

All the righties are paying triple what they did before, have enormous deductibles and have had to switch doctors 3 times. And they all have a cousin who was a doctor but has been put out of business.

All the lefties are paying the same or less and just recently had a major surgery at Mayo Clinic that they paid a $41 co-pay for. And they all have a cousin who can finally get the life-saving diabeetus medicine he could never get before.

Weird.

Lol, this.

I've gone my whole life without having to stay in a hospital but it would be nice to go to the doctor. As it is we are forced to pay these ridiculous premiums and deductibles so someone else can go to the doctor every time they get a runny nose...unless the people that are being subsidized aren't having their deductibles subsidized?

Btw, 95% of insurance companies just use the Medicare guidelines when it comes to DME.

No idea if Obamacare affected that, but I sell medical supplies so I can confirm that.

Lol, this.

My actual experience is nothing (I guess premiums rose by a below-average amount, but that's not something that's noticeable). I'd guess that's true for most people, regardless of their opinion of the law. The people who are really affected are people who didn't have insurance--and they will have highly positive experiences unless they are young, healthy, and pretty well-off (i.e., people who benefit were highly likely to support it beforehand and people who don't were highly likely to oppose it beforehand).

The one person I know who used it is quite wealthy and retired but not quite old enough to get Medicare (and his wife is younger than him). He was able to keep his countable income (not including Roth IRA withdrawals) to around $60K so he got an exchange plan with subsidies. Turned out that his wife had a major health issue that would have cost him $400K-plus but it was almost completely covered. Demographically, you would have expected him to be a Republican who opposed it and had a conversion, but he's actually a pretty extreme leftist.

My actual experience is nothing (I guess premiums rose by a below-average amount, but that's not something that's noticeable). I'd guess that's true for most people, regardless of their opinion of the law. The people who are really affected are people who didn't have insurance--and they will have highly positive experiences unless they are young, healthy, and pretty well-off (i.e., people who benefit were highly likely to support it beforehand and people who don't were highly likely to oppose it beforehand).

The one person I know who used it is quite wealthy and retired but not quite old enough to get Medicare (and his wife is younger than him). He was able to keep his countable income (not including Roth IRA withdrawals) to around $60K so he got an exchange plan with subsidies. Turned out that his wife had a major health issue that would have cost him $400K-plus but it was almost completely covered. Demographically, you would have expected him to be a Republican who opposed it and had a conversion, but he's actually a pretty extreme leftist.

Anecdotal.

I'm a young healthy guy. Before I git the job I am at now, I didn't have health insurance. ACA would have increased my expenses by whatever the fine is. Would have been very negative.

My premiums are totally covered by work though, so I am pretty neutral. I can see how some would benefit and some would be hurt by it. Just like anything else.

Another thing to remember is these prices are based on in network providers, go out of your network and you're going to be on the hook for up to 50% of the charges.

Go on a skiing trip and bust your leg up, there's a good chance they won't cover you.
Here's another scam worth reading about.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opin...s-surprise-new-york-times-20140922-story.html
Even those who confirm that their physicians and hospitals are in network can wind up being billed by out-of-network providers they had no idea would be involved in their care.

1.) Make lots of money
2.) Comply with law by begrudgingly insuring less than desirables

77.) Make sure sleepy boy gets a good bang for his health insurance buck

Anecdotal.

:) Um, yeah, that's the thread. "Do you guys have any anecdotes?" If you want data, look at it. The law has been a spectacular success (lowest cost growth on record, huge decline in the number of uninsured people, long-term deficit projections drastically lowered as a result of the cost slowdown).

My premiums (includes my wife, it's an employer provided group plan) went up 25 bucks a month this year, which is about par for the course I think. I still haven't figured out how my coverage actually works, though. I needed an MRI last year and they estimated my portion at $400, and then I ended up getting refunded all of that money. Yet I had a blood test which they estimated my portion at nothing, and I ended up paying $128.

One thing I've wondered, if anyone knows, what happens to the money that's refunded every year from insurance companies if they go over their allotted admin costs? I hear that's a hefty amount refunded to the insured or their employers every year, but I haven't seen anything come my way. I assume the employer can just keep it if they want.

My premiums (includes my wife, it's an employer provided group plan) went up 25 bucks a month this year, which is about par for the course I think. I still haven't figured out how my coverage actually works, though. I needed an MRI last year and they estimated my portion at $400, and then I ended up getting refunded all of that money. Yet I had a blood test which they estimated my portion at nothing, and I ended up paying $128.
No one knows how that shit works.

Back