Obama hosts "concussion summit"; brainstorms ways to reduce sport's concussions

You said that parents and leagues should take the lead to prevent injuries for their athletes. Obviously this is stupid because they don't have the resources or the knowledge to take the lead on the topic, especially related to brain injuries.

Following the NFL is not taking the lead. Furthermore, children's leagues shouldn't follow leagues in which the players are professional world class athletes who are also grown ass man. They have to be ahead of it (more conservative).

Little leagues are already taking measures as a result of the recent media attention surrounding football and concussions. It's pretty simple market economics, the more attention there is about youth football and concussions, the more reluctant parents are going to be to put their kids in youth football, which means that the little leagues will lose money unless they take measures in order to ensure their parents that the safety of their kids is their primary concern.

http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/st...-show-football-taking-head-injuries-seriously
This is the right trend and in June, the Pop Warner organization, noting that more concussions occur in practice than in games, cut back on the amount of contact allowed in practice, while banning the Oklahoma-style drill in which players run toward each other and smash helmets. The competing USA Football youth organization, sponsored by the NFL and the NFLPA, immediately matched the move and cut back on practice contact.

Obviously measures are being taken. It doesn't detract from the track record of SUPPRESSION of action in the name of profits. That's why business should not determine regulation, nor should their loyal customers.

The cat is out of the bag now. It's not like the government took any initiative while the cat was in the bag. But now that it's out and everyone is taking additional measures to ensure safety, the government wants to hop on the "make football safe" bandwagon so that ten years from now when the concussion rate goes down, they can take credit for it (even though it would have gone down either way).

Little leagues are already taking measures as a result of the recent media attention surrounding football and concussions. It's pretty simple market economics, the more attention there is about youth football and concussions, the more reluctant parents are going to be to put their kids in youth football, which means that the little leagues will lose money unless they take measures in order to ensure their parents that the safety of their kids is their primary concern.

You said leagues and parents should take the lead on this.

So after the NFL has a problem and after it is publicized, little leagues take action. Too fucking late.

Please tell me how that is "taking the lead".

So we should wait until no one plays football except the kids with shitty parents and the sport dies out?

Hopefully that $10 billion of revenue and ten month coverage window won't be missed by anyone.

If parents stop letting their kids play football for concussion reasons, then leagues will either be forced to change the rules, or die out.

There is no reason for the president to be involved rule changes for sports games.

You said leagues and parents should take the lead on this.

So after the NFL has a problem and after it is publicized, little leagues take action. Too fucking late.

Please tell me how that is "taking the lead".

Which is a good thing that the government took the lead before the problem was publicized right?

Oh wait... They didn't. They only decided to jump in AFTER it was publicized and AFTER the leagues were already doing something about it.

You said that parents and leagues should take the lead to prevent injuries for their athletes. Obviously this is stupid because they don't have the resources or the knowledge to take the lead on the topic, especially related to brain injuries.

Following the NFL is not taking the lead. Furthermore, children's leagues shouldn't follow leagues in which the players are professional world class athletes who are also grown ass man. They have to be ahead of it (more conservative).

In other words, you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

It might be you that doesn't know what he's talking about.

I support this summit and any resources the government puts into the issue, but to act like the parents and leagues aren't doing anything or don't have any information about it is ridiculous.

They arguably ARE taking the lead on the issue. Go to any pop warner football team's website, somewhere on the front page is information regarding the latest in concussion studies. They have mandatory time off following a concussion (often the rest of the season). I have a good buddy that is the president of a pop warner program and he says it's all they talk about at the board meetings and parents meetings...they have to in order stay in business. Every one of their coaches does specific training in USA Football's "heads-up" football education program, which is meant to teach kids a way to more safely play football.

Of course they don't have the resources to do their own research on the topic, but in terms of learning what the risks are and the way to implement safety protocols into the league's rules and the way they're coached and officiated, they're all over it.

I think minivan safety standards should be determined by the van's manufacturers and the soccer moms that drive them. Those are the people who should lead that issue.

What is controversial about that statement?

Introducing car safety regulatory bodies opened the door for a massive wave of corruption and cronyism in that industry.

Of course the government should put some resources behind this. It's an important public health issue....similar to something like seat belts. The government played a large part in determining that seat belts were a good way to save lives in auto crashes and enacting legislation requiring car companies to put them in cars and later, that occupants wear them.

But I disagree with seatbelt laws.

Yes, in a way, the system has forced people to play sports and to gamble their success on that.

Nope. You are simply wrong. No one is forced to play Football. Period.

Even in public school, you won't play anything more rowdy than a game of flag football, and you could probably even get out of that with a parent or doctor note.

Saying, "but black people want to be rich and famous" does not change the fact that playing Football is a choice.

Which is a good thing that the government took the lead before the problem was publicized right?

Oh wait... They didn't. They only decided to jump in AFTER it was publicized and AFTER the leagues were already doing something about it.

I couldn't care less, either way, if Obama speaks about it.

Following the NFL is not taking the lead.

But they just allowed head hits. And now other leagues are following suit. That is literally taking the lead.

Furthermore, children's leagues shouldn't follow leagues in which the players are professional world class athletes who are also grown ass man. They have to be ahead of it (more conservative).

In other words, you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

And they are. Most pee-wee leagues and several elementary leagues do not allow tackling. Most leagues up to highschool don't allow two-on-one.

What is controversial about that statement?

Introducing car safety regulatory bodies opened the door for a massive wave of corruption and cronyism in that industry.

Seriously? Because cutting safety standards decreases mandatory costs therefore decreasing prices, which will always win over the uninformed consumer. Unhinge regulatory standards and watch these well-intentioned citizens piss away their own well-being in the name of convenience.

There's a reason why even the most populist-minded political thinkers are starting to shy away from the "everyone should vote to further their own interest" line of thinking and the call for public policy-literacy prerequisites to voting are beginning to actually get support.

Yes, da gubberment isn't perfect. But thinking that corporations can work together with the American populace to better regulate the country is laughable to say the least.

It might be you that doesn't know what he's talking about.

I support this summit and any resources the government puts into the issue, but to act like the parents and leagues aren't doing anything or don't have any information about it is ridiculous.

They arguably ARE taking the lead on the issue. Go to any pop warner football team's website, somewhere on the front page is information regarding the latest in concussion studies. They have mandatory time off following a concussion (often the rest of the season). I have a good buddy that is the president of a pop warner program and he says it's all they talk about at the board meetings and parents meetings...they have to in order stay in business. Every one of their coaches does specific training in USA Football's "heads-up" football education program, which is meant to teach kids a way to more safely play football.

Of course they don't have the resources to do their own research on the topic, but in terms of learning what the risks are and the way to implement safety protocols into the league's rules and the way they're coached and officiated, they're all over it.

Did you follow the conversation?

I think you are reading way to far into what I am saying.

But they just allowed head hits. And now other leagues are following suit. That is literally taking the lead.

You think that "following suit" is "taking the lead"? WOW.

Seriously? Because cutting safety standards decreases mandatory costs therefore decreasing prices, which will always win over the uninformed consumer. Unhinge regulatory standards and watch these well-intentioned citizens piss away their own well-being in the name of convenience.

There's a reason why even the most populist-minded political thinkers are starting to shy away from the "everyone should vote to further their own interest" line of thinking and the call for public policy-literacy prerequisites to voting are beginning to actually get support.

Yes, da gubberment isn't perfect. But thinking that corporations can work together with the American populace to better regulate the country is laughable to say the least.

Most "safety standards" past by the regulatory bodies have nothing to do with safety. There is a reason the largest car manufactors are often lobbying for more "safety standards". Enjoy burning alive with your HFO-1234yf.

You think that "following suit" is "taking the lead"? WOW.

Sorry, I misread your original post. I thought you said "the NFL is not taking the lead". You actually said "following the NFL is not taking the lead". Ignore my post.

Anyone else worried about how widespread the "Brave New World" mentality is becoming. Looking at these threads, the belief that the government can raise your children better than you can is becoming more and more common.

Did you follow the conversation?

I think you are reading way to far into what I am saying.

You're right, I have no idea what your point is beyond the crap about people not even knowing it's an issue and little leagues not being equipped to do anything about it, or being way behind in what they are doing. Which is wrong. I don't know what other meandering points you guys are making in this cluster-f of a conversation right now.

Anyone else worried about how widespread the "Brave New World" mentality is becoming. Looking at these threads, the belief that the government can raise your children better than you can is becoming more and more common.

If the government wants to help fund some research that can help me make more informed decisions on how to raise my kids, I'm on board.

Back