Obama and Hillary top list for most admired people

kuromusha

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
And still....

Despite a rocky year for Democrats, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and President Obama and have both held on to their reign as the most admired man and woman in America, coming in with strong leads ahead of of Oprah Winfrey, First Lady Michelle Obama, Sarah Palin, Pope Francis and former President Bill Clinton, according to Gallup’s annual poll.
This is the president’s seventh consecutive year topping the “most admired” list – a not-so surprising feat as sitting president’s have typically held this spot.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/12/hillary-clinton-barack-obama-most-admired-people-again/

I'm quite surprised because it seems like a lot of people dislike him. I guess you should take what people say on the internet with a grain of salt (most passionate Obama haters tend to be crazy Tea Partiers). However, I agree with JVS when he says that Obama will be a better president in hindsight. He's not even close to being the worst president in history.

3VCqlfO.gif

what happened with putin? a year ago fox was praising him as a great strategist and real leader.

19% of Americans consider Obama their most admired man. That is an impressively high number for one guy.

Of course, the more statist your politics the more likely you are to devoutly admire your leaders, no?

They have a ways to go before they can challenge Kim Jong Un

19% of Americans consider Obama their most admired man. That is an impressively high number for one guy.

Of course, the more statist your politics the more likely you are to devoutly admire your leaders, no?

Not really. That might be true if we didn't have a democratic form of gov't. And anyway, the term "statist" has evolved to basically mean "someone who disagrees with the politics of the speaker."

Of course that lines up pretty well with his approval rating:

Strongly Approve: 25%
Strongly Disapprove: 36%

Total Approve: 51%
Total Disapprove: 48%

He topped the list here too apparently...

I was surprised that it was almost all politicians. Seemed unlikely.

Not really. That might be true if we didn't have a democratic form of gov't. And anyway, the term "statist" has evolved to basically mean "someone who disagrees with the politics of the speaker."

Lol. No, it has not. I used it to mean one who believes that the state is the most useful tool for fixing the ills of society, which is how I generally see it used.

One conclusion that can plausibly be drawn from the data we were presented is that liberals look at their favored politicians as the most admirable people in their lives to an extent not replicated in other areas of the American political spectrum.

There are probably other valid explanations as well.

Of course that lines up pretty well with his approval rating:

Strongly Approve: 25%
Strongly Disapprove: 36%

Total Approve: 51%
Total Disapprove: 48%

The hard core of Obama's base see him as the most admirable man in their lives. He has always had a bit of cult of personality going on.

Sarah ****ing Palin?

Tied with Angelina Jolie and Princess Kate. Btw, Obama and Hillary won the poll in '08 as well, Hillary has dropped 6% since then and Obama has dropped 13%

Btw: The incumbent president is nearly always the winner of the most admired distinction, having placed first in all but 12 of the 68 years the question has been asked.

Most of those 12 exceptions have come when the president was unpopular, including in 2008 when President-elect Obama finished ahead of George W. Bush; in 1980 when Pope John Paul II edged out Jimmy Carter; during the Watergate era of 1973-1975; in the late 1960s during the height of the Vietnam War; and for much of Harry Truman's presidency when he was overshadowed by Gens. Dwight Eisenhower and Douglas MacArthur.

George W Bush has made the top10 14 times including top spot in 7 years (23% in '04).

Democrats and Democratic leaners widely choose Hillary Clinton (20%) and Barack Obama (33%) as the most admired woman and man, respectively. Not unexpectedly, Republicans and Republican leaners are much less likely to name either as their most admired. In fact, former Secretary of State Rice edges out Winfrey and Clinton as the most admired woman among Republicans. Obama and Pope Francis tie as the most admired man among Republicans, at 8%.

Bunch of racist; um... oh never mind.

I wonder if it's because major political figures are such a small list, whereas once you start looking at sports, the arts, science and humanitarian figures, it's much, much broader.

Lol. No, it has not. I used it to mean one who believes that the state is the most useful tool for fixing the ills of society, which is how I generally see it used.

LOL, yes it has, and you just proved it. Any policy preference at all can fit into your definition.

I wonder if it's because major political figures are such a small list, whereas once you start looking at sports, the arts, science and humanitarian figures, it's much, much broader.

It's just that they're well-known and have more perceived substance than entertainers. It means nothing, really.

Back