O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Andersons Foot

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of my favorite movies. I found this Reddit post about it a while ago that got a lot of attention.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/3hswyy/i_think_o_brother_where_out_thou_is_one_of_the/

I think O' Brother Where Out Thou is one of the best American films ever created

I have seen this movie more than most movies and I can still watch it through every time. Not only a pretty accurate portrayal of the American depression and the American people during this time. The people they pay homage to during the movie is amazing. The soundtrack could be one of the best soundtracks to a movie also. Every song could not be in a better place. To me this will always be the Coen Brothers masterpiece. Almost every scene is shot remarkably beautiful, The Odyssey is also one of my favorite books of all time also and how they transformed into an instant American classic is remarkable. If you haven't got to this one, do yourself a favor and watch this beautiful film.

" We thought youz was a toad.

Top 5 Coen Bros film for me, next to Lebowski, Miller's Crossing, No Country, and Fargo.

Not sure if the best, but a very beautiful dialogue film.

It would be disingenuous for me to say that it is one of the best American films ever made , furthermore I do not believe it to be one of the best Coen brother films.
However I do not want that to imply that I do not enjoy and appreciate the film, as I still go back to it every year or so and enjoy it greatly.

great movie - one of my favorites and the soundtrack was amazing.

Amazing film. One of my all-time favorites.

"I don't get it, Big Dan."

Top 5 Coen Bros film for me, next to Lebowski, Miller's Crossing, No Country, and Fargo.

Not sure if the best, but a very beautiful dialogue film.

No Barton Fink bro? It did win the Palme d'Or after all. It also pulled in awards for director (Joel) and actor (Turturro).

No Barton Fink bro? It did win the Palme d'Or after all. It also pulled in awards for director (Joel) and actor (Turturro).

Fink is good, it's just not my style. Definitely top 10 Coen, but just outside of my favourites. I'd put Blood Simple over Fink.

I think i could re-watch this a hundred times and never get bored with it. The soundtrack, as mentioned, is amazing. Great acting and dialogue. Has almost every emotion. It's usually my go to movie when I'm bored, unless it's around October then it's Halloween.

Tremendous film, no doubt about it. I don't know if I'd place it among the greatest American films of all time, but it's intelligent, hilarious, and has endless replay value. That's worth a lot.

Fink is good, it's just not my style. Definitely top 10 Coen, but just outside of my favourites. I'd put Blood Simple over Fink.

Fair enough. I couldn't get enough Barton Fink at the time. I'm a big Turturro fan and I thought John Goodman killed it. Plus these dudes.

barton_fink_l_a_p_d.jpg

Speaking of The Jesus. Who's seen this one? I'm going to watch it again soon now, in spite of me being appalled the first time (as a fan of penguins).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093029/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_87

MV5BMTM5MDI5MjQyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUwODkxMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR8,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Personally I loved Clooney in Oh Brother. It's gotta be one of his top performances. Baby Face Nelson was great. The music was incredibly perfect. Like most Coen moves, it gets better with viewings.

It's on the level of Forest Gump if, say, Forest was a homosexual.

But really it's a good movie.

The Coens are amazing. There aren't too many filmmakers who could win (be nominated? don't remember if they won) an Oscar for adapting something they never read.

I don't ever list it in my "hey what're your top favorite movies ready set go" lists, but it's one of the best movies I've ever seen by far. It's kind of like how you don't list the Beatles or Led Zeppelin in your favorite bands because you're an asshole if you don't already consider them the best bands.

I don't want FOP goddammit, I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Back