NYU now offer Full-Tuition Scholarships to All Medical Students!

our resident Uncle Chans making a mockery of themselves and ingratiating themselves to Sherfronters for laughs.

How? By saying that on a level playing field(of unis and colleges acceptance), Asians would dominate? Even if the standards were raised to bar their entry?

No, but you need interpersonal skills, ability to work well with a team especially under stress, and be able to relay news to families that could potential "break" them while being compassionate.

This among many other things that have nothing to do with scoring well on the mcat.

I think they implemented that back in the 50's to prevent the Jews from ruining their ivy league institutions. Moving the goal post with intangible standards, if you will.

https://www.google.com.ph/amp/s/amp...istory-of-discriminating-against-jews-2014-12

I think they implemented that back in the 50's to prevent the Jews from ruining their ivy league institutions. Moving the goal post with intangible standards, if you will.

https://www.google.com.ph/amp/s/amp...istory-of-discriminating-against-jews-2014-12

And they used the same EXACT excuse to keep Jews from getting into Harvard way back then that they do today against Asians. And they LOST in court over it.

Yet they're still using the same old word-for-word rationalization that got shot down 100 years ago when questioned about it today, just applied towards a different group. Amazing

NYU was already expensive to begin with. I wonder if this will cause tuition fees to go up for the non-medical classes. Or are they really making that much money where they can do this for free?

This is a very good point and I will bet money that other majors in that school will see fee and tuition increases to cover this program. A similar program was initiated when I was at NC State. I was an engineering major (Materials Science and Engineering) and during my last semester we got a letter from the school stating that all engineering students would be seeing increased tuition and fees from here on out. The reason stated in the letter was that the majority of engineering students were on scholarships so it wouldn't effect them at all, and the increased monies raised would benefit the arts department which was having massive budget issues.

I almost lost my shit...good thing it was my last semester and I didn't have to deal with any of that bullshit. People in this thread talking about endowments and other shit, but that money is already accounted for by the school (at least I'll bet it is). Universities are absolute wizards at wasting money almost akin the government. But just like the government nobody is going to give away the money they're currently receiving, so these scholarships will come from somewhere. I'll bet it's going to cost other students more to attend NYU due to this change.

All that being said I can't believe they're talking about the average medical student leaving school with $184K in debt...unreal.

The OP says they're particularly in need of primary care and research physicians, because people going into medical school gravitate toward the more lucrative specialties to offset the debt they're going to accrue.

I don't get why they'd pay *everyone* when just paying clinicians and GPs seems to address the issue more directly.

How? By saying that on a level playing field(of unis and colleges acceptance), Asians would dominate? Even if the standards were raised to bar their entry?
oh, I recognize that schools have racist admissions policies. And I sympathize with the Asian struggle to get this issue publicized. But it's used as a wedge by racist whites to further marginalize all people of color to solidify a hiearchy among them. We are seeing the fruits of this division as Asian-Americans are expressing their hostility to black admission into elite schools when instead they should be attacking legacy admissions:

The Trump administration will be taking aim at affirmative action programs it believes "discriminate against white applicants," reports The New York Times. But if the Justice Department blames affirmative action for the fact that it's difficult to get into a selective college, its outrage may be misplaced. Undergraduate populations at top schools are not that diverse. In fact, they are strikingly homogeneous: Largely upper-middle-class or rich.

In short, it's wealthy kids, not minorities, who are disproportionately represented at colleges, and elite institutions especially.

"At 38 colleges in America, including five in the Ivy League — Dartmouth, Princeton, Yale, Penn and Brown — more students came from the top one percent of the income scale than from the entire bottom 60 percent," reports The New York Times. It also points out that, at every one of the top 65 U.S. universities, the median parent income is over $100,000. That figure ranges from $272,000 at Washington University in St. Louis to $104,900 at UCLA.

That's why Richard V. Reeves, author of the new book "Dream Hoarders" and a senior fellow in Economic Studies and co-director of the Center on Children and Families at the Brookings Institute, tells CNBC Make It that "the affirmative action we should be most worried about is the one for legacies."​

And it is fallacious to assume elite school admission is strictly a grades based meritocracy. For public state schools it should be, but not for the Ivy Leagues who have the luxury of selecting for a student body that reflects what they consider diverse.

If they employ a meritocratic system, get ready for the Guptas, Singhs, Chans, Lees, and Patels.

Also, Nguyens and Trans (not the gender changers).

Working at a hospital, these comments could not be truer and made me laugh hard. In the small company I work for we have 25 nguyens out of like 150 people. I cant even see how many Lee's we have on one page.

Urgent Cares all across the east coast about to be flooded with C-level doctors in several years.

Cops dont pay to train to be po po, Firefighters dont pay to train to sit in firehouse all day and make sandwiches, Soldiers get paid to learn to be infantry, Navy pays enlistees to learn to sail warships.

Why should doctors pay? They provide such a basic, and necessary service/component to society.
If they have a degree in criminal justice, cops certainly do pay.

Also all the people saying durr now we're gonna have shitty doctors, what does paying for tuition have to do with passing med school?

It's not like random hobos off the street are passing med school.

Working at a hospital, these comments could not be truer and made me laugh hard. In the small company I work for we have 25 nguyens out of like 150 people. I cant even see how many Lee's we have on one page.
what motivated you to notice this, let alone point it out jokingly in an internet forum? Would you find it noteworthy seeing a bunch of Irish surnames in a Boston hospital? I don't understand what makes people think they have made some unique observation upon seeing Viet/Filipino nurses or Indian doctors.

If I was still in my 20s and I could go to medical school for free I would do it.

what motivated you to notice this, let alone point it out jokingly in an internet forum? Would you find it noteworthy seeing a bunch of Irish surnames in a Boston hospital? I don't understand what makes people think they have made some unique observation upon seeing Viet/Filipino nurses or Indian doctors.
It was just funny cause they all have the same name and the two posters metioned it, relax dude. Sounds like you get triggered easily.

In theory that could change the way that medicine is practiced. I predict though that much will remain the same.

Urgent Cares all across the east coast about to be flooded with C-level doctors in several years.
This doesn't even make sense.

If anything, you'd get a more varied skill level of doctors in Urgent Care/Primary Care. More med students could make decisions on residency based off of interests instead of needing to focus on paying off 6 figure debt.

Back