NYT Upshot: "No, Giving More People Health Insurance Doesnt Save Money"

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by hsl, Aug 6, 2015.

1. hsl

hsl Green Belt

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/06/upshot/no-giving-more-people-health-insurance-doesnt-save-money.html?rref=upshot&smid=tw-upshotnyt&abt=0002&abg=1

Excerpts from the article:

tl dr; Does universal health insurance save money? No, but it's good for people's health

2. FierceRedBelt

FierceRedBelt Red Belt

Ah compelling non-argument of the week, it's too expensive to test everyone just to save 1 in 100. Of course we should test everyone it's our duty as members of the human race.

I do appreciate honest cost analysis to shut up the people who try to use poor arguments to justify an obvious moral standing.

3. Dayman1984

Dayman1984 Purple Belt Platinum Member

To me the universal healthcare concept is more about being humane than cost saving. That's why it is heavily subsidized by tax money in countries where it is in place (Sweden, Denmark, England, etc.) It costs money to take care of sick people.

4. djacobox372

djacobox372 Gold Belt

I'm pro national healthcare and think Obamacare is a step in the right direction.

But the whole "early treatment saves money" is hogwash.

Take cancer for example: if you catch it early you treat it (at great expense), it goes away, then it will most often come back, and you treat it again (at great expense), this goes on and on until the patient eventually dies from cancer.

If you catch it late, the patient dies and you save a lot of money.

What sickens me is that somehow whether something is cheaper or not is somehow the most important measure in whether it's worth doing. As if capitalism is somehow the most important thing, even more important the quality human life.

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Red Belt

No it's not.

6. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre Titanium Belt

Insurance doesn't drive down prices?

7. Jack V Savage

Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Yeah. I thought that more early treatment would save money, but it doesn't look like it is (and I think your analysis is correct). We're still saving money in a lot of other ways (without sacrificing quality) and more people have access to affordable care so I'm happy.

8. James Keith

James Keith Silver Belt

All 7 billion of them?