(NYT)Many Ways to Be a Girl, but One Way to Be a Boy: The New Gender Rules

Birth rates drop dramatically generally as infant mortality drops. The more likely your kids are to live to adulthood, the less reason to have a bunch of them. But in Japan they take that even further, they have fewer and fewer kids because of how competitive they are when it comes to education. So on average they have like one kid so that they can pour as much resources into that one kids as possible(tutoring, prep school, extra curricular). But if most families only have one kid the birth rate is below replacement.

Maybe it'll self correct and maybe the time frame is too short to say that it won't but it certainly doesn't seem that way.

Huh? Uh, no. I'm saying even conservative cultures are seeing a drop in birthrates. That's both in their home countries and in the West. The point being that this trend effects even conservative families.

But its actually the opposite, its poorer families that have more children while more well off ones have fewer children.

You're looking at a 1......maybe 2 on the outside generations worth of " trend " , which means little. How can you say with confidence one way or the other so closely ( relatively ) to the situation ?

And anecdotedly I find you to be wrong. I've got 4 and 2 other families I know have 4 , and all are successful entrepreneurial/ lower level executive income families.

Back