NYS New Gun Laws Makes NO Exemptions to Law Enforcement

Pyrotechnia

White Belt
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/17/ny-gun-control-laws-anger-police-retired_n_2495417.html

Apparently in their haste to pass what they claim as "sweeping" new gun legislation, NYS legislators forgot to make ANY exemptions for law enforcement and retired law enforcement.

So now, the 7-round magazine restriction and assault weapons ban would also apply to police as well.

OOPSIE! The elitism in the NYS LE agencies are sickening. With a vast majority thinking that they are entitled to more rights than us common citizenry. Well, this new development may finally show them how we law abiding citizens feel about not having adequate tools to defend our lives and homes. This may even gain momentum to get the whole AWB and silly magazine capacity restriction removed.

My personal take on it? While I appreciate the police force putting their lives on the line maintaining order out there, that DOES NOT make them any "better" or "qualified" than law abiding Mr. Joe Citizen who has a family and children to protect and look after.

Sure, Mr. Retired Cop has a family and assets to protect and he could legally use an AR-15. Why is Mr. Joe Citizen, who is also a contributing and honorable person, not allowed to have an AR-15 or even a semi-auto handgun with a standard factory magazine?

Well thats the catch that I think a lot of law enforcement is seeing also. They know that some day they will retire or just change careers. And the day they do they are now like everyone else and will be under the same restrictions. Police of all people have a better perspective of knowing that they typically show up "after" the crime is committed.

They seem completely oblivious to the fact that citizens feel the same way as them. Man am I glad that I no longer live in NJ and also not in NY.

It does raise the question of enforcement. What will they do if the LEO simply does not enforce it. Look at CA and CO. They legalized marijuana even though its still a federal offense. The same could apply here to some degree just in reverse.

There have already been numerous Sherriff's that have come out publicly to say they will not enforce a weapons ban. So who would do the enforcement and how do you pay for it?

A bunch of NY cops I know are worried about this and think the law in general is BS. Shows how moronic the NY politicians are. I'm worried about something similar passing in CA. There are certain politicians who would like cops to have to sign out their gun at work and put it back in a dept armory when we go home.

here in germany normal cops in cars only have pistols. no need for more. if you live in the slums of brazil, ok there the cops need rifles, but in the usa? come on guys, the king of england wont come over.

if you need more firepower there are other units than the cops. we got the sek you got swat. no cop nees an m14. period.

No need for an exemption. It's a proven fact that 7 rounds is plenty. Not sure what the cops are upset about here. :)

A bunch of NY cops I know are worried about this and think the law in general is BS. Shows how moronic the NY politicians are. I'm worried about something similar passing in CA. There are certain politicians who would like cops to have to sign out their gun at work and put it back in a dept armory when we go home.

If they know that the law is moronic, they better stand up and fight for the regular citizen's RKBA rights too. Based on the latest FBI crime statistic, cops, off duty and ex-cops only account for less than 0.01% of all victims of violent crime. The average hard working citizen faces a far larger threat from the predatory elements of society.

Q:What is worse than a gun-banner?
A: A gun owner who thinks "only I am professional enough to have a gun, you serfs go away"

Please let your NY cop buddies know that their jobs are to protect and serve, not oppress and terrorize. And there is no better way of protecting and serving their communities than by helping law abiding citizens obtain the tools they need to protect their loved ones. After all, as the saying goes: When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

7 rounds is not enough for the NYPD, they won't be able to shoot enough bystanders with only 7 rounds.

here in germany normal cops in cars only have pistols. no need for more. if you live in the slums of brazil, ok there the cops need rifles, but in the usa? come on guys, the king of england wont come over.

if you need more firepower there are other units than the cops. we got the sek you got swat. no cop nees an m14. period.

Thats the point of this thread. The law as it is currently written says cops can't carry a pistol with more than 7 rounds either. This isn't about a 30 round mag. Its a 7 round limit for pistols.

Beyond that the core of the issue is the lack of thought and total knee jerk reaction to enact a law that was not thought out at all.

Also SWAT is almost never first on scene. So good luck responding to armed robery call and whipping out your flashlight and 7 round pistol.

Thats the point of this thread. The law as it is currently written says cops can't carry a pistol with more than 7 rounds either. This isn't about a 30 round mag. Its a 7 round limit for pistols.

Beyond that the core of the issue is the lack of thought and total knee jerk reaction to enact a law that was not thought out at all.

Also SWAT is almost never first on scene. So good luck responding to armed robery call and whipping out your flashlight and 7 round pistol.

so if there is a robbery you have to go in and shoot at least 8 bullets? :rolleyes:

7 bullets is enough if you can shoot, except there are 8 guys. but i dont think you will be solo vs so many guys longer than a minute. it just makes me wonder that when we her ein ger have a robbery, the police shhots in maybe 1 / 50 cases. and if they shoot, they dont shoot often as that they would nee more than a 7 round mag. (i thnik they got a 10 round 9mm walther in here, not sure)

idk how it works in the us, but ive heard that cops can choose their own guns. so 7 rounds means you just oick a higher cal gun. .44? .50?

7 rounds is not enough for the NYPD, they won't be able to shoot enough bystanders with only 7 rounds.

im+favoriting+this+comment+_eb72d9b4a1d38a4beaef7f065073efff.jpeg

Fuck yeah

so if there is a robbery you have to go in and shoot at least 8 bullets? :rolleyes:

7 bullets is enough if you can shoot, except there are 8 guys. but i dont think you will be solo vs so many guys longer than a minute. it just makes me wonder that when we her ein ger have a robbery, the police shhots in maybe 1 / 50 cases. and if they shoot, they dont shoot often as that they would nee more than a 7 round mag. (i thnik they got a 10 round 9mm walther in here, not sure)

idk how it works in the us, but ive heard that cops can choose their own guns. so 7 rounds means you just oick a higher cal gun. .44? .50?

Have you ever shot a firearm in a high stress situation. It's not like what you see on TV. There are no magic one shot and the bad guy gives up bullets. Even departments that get a lot of firearms training have officers who miss.

Please stop posting nonsense in this thread.

Ah advice from the Germans. That's always worthwhile.

Hopefully if there is robbery no shots would be fired. But would you rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. A minute can be a very long time if your on your own. A study was done with the NYPD's own shooting stats in 2006, between 1996-2006 they had a average hit rate of 30% which fell to 18% when the perp was shooting back. Not quite the one shot is all I need scenario you are going with. Real life shootings are not like a day at the range punching holes in paper.

If you can't hit something with a 9 then moving up in caliber won't help.

A lot of Departments won't let their officers pick what they carry on duty. Some issue and others just tell the officers what they are allowed to carry.

All of this is besides the OP post anyway. The point is that NY passed a law without even understanding the implications. Its a knee jerk reaction that was not thought out at all and was driven by emotion and political short sightedness. Hopefully, it will come back to bite them all in the ass come the next election in NY.

First I will just gloss over the stupidity of someone using foreign experience to comment on the US.

Second, just how many times have you shot with someone shooting back at you, let alone actually have to kill someone?

Last, you ever shot a high caliber pistol? They are next to useless for carry

First I will just gloss over the stupidity of someone using foreign experience to comment on the US.

Second, just how many times have you shot with someone shooting back at you, let alone actually have to kill someone?

Last, you ever shot a high caliber pistol? They are next to useless for carry

Need new legislation. 7 round magazines only for our troops!

Back