[NYC] Can someone help me date this photo?

Anyone have an [informed] guess on when this photo of Manhattan (NYC) might of been taken? It was paper clipped onto some old shipping papers that ranged in dates from the 1920's through the 1970's. Taken from somewhere in Brooklyn.

nlGcadA.jpg

That looks like the meteor shower that destroyed NYC circa 1884.

If you are willing to do research I would try dating the architecture. That white rectangular structure at the river near the center looks newish to me so try fi ding when that was built.

Looking at that white ship that just passed the bridge... it's a Rimfielder 675X... first sold in 1962. So it's definitely after 1962. But the photo is in black and white, which went extinct early last century.

This photo is a fake. Too many contradicting information.

you are so full of shit lol

Who estimated 1929's?

There are 16 wheelers in that one parking lot.

Wiki on Brooklyn Bridge Park describes the Brooklyn waterfront development as "largely barren and decrepit" by the 1970s. The harbor looks rather active, so together with the building of the pier in 58 and the towers in 64, it gives a probable timeframe of 1964 to the mid 70s (or possibly just 64-70).

Kind of vague, I know.

Btw, I've never been there, but would you see the WTC towers from that angle? Because if you would, that's earlier than 71 at the very least, which was when they surpassed Empire State. If so, this is from between 64-71.

Edit: (You wouldn't, would you?)

I'm way far from expert, but I believe WTC would be in that picture after being built.

Btw, I've never been there, but would you see the WTC towers from that angle? Because if you would, that's earlier than 71 at the very least, which was when they surpassed Empire State. If so, this is from between 64-71.

Edit: (You wouldn't, would you?)

yes you could see the towers from this anfle. they would have been off to the left.

I'm way far from expert, but I believe WTC would be in that picture after being built.

nope. the picture cuts off at the left as you pearle street and the beginnings of the financial district. WTC (the original towers) would have been just off to the left

yes you could see the towers from this anfle. they would have been off to the left.
nope. the picture cuts off at the left as you pearle street and the beginnings of the financial district. WTC (the original towers) would have been just off to the left
Yeah, I suspected as much, since they were about on the same street as the bridge, but on the far side of the island. Damnations. Well, the skyline is fairly rich, so I'd pursue that angle if I could be arsed to. Trying to find the tallest buildnings built in the 70s which should be visible in the picture.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/maps/?cityID=8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_New_York_City

I can't, however. I'm working and have a deadline.

Yeah, I suspected as much, since they were about on the same street as the bridge, but on the far side of the island. Damnations. Well, the skyline is fairly rich, so I'd pursue that angle if I could be arsed to. Trying to find the tallest buildnings built in the 70s which should be visible in the picture.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/maps/?cityID=8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_New_York_City

I can't, however. I'm working and have a deadline.

Using that and Google Earth, the picture is pre-1965. The Rutger's Houses do not appear to be in the picture. They were finished in 1965. Zooming in it looks like they might be under construction in the picture so '63 or '64?

I know for a fact that the picture is from August 1962

Thanks gentlemen.

This was also in the box.
HAFqOXa.jpg

reWgfHN.jpg
Does that seem like a likely location from where the photo was taken?

Try and make out the make and model of some of the vehicles in the pic, that should give you a general idea.

Thanks gentlemen.

This was also in the box.
HAFqOXa.jpg

reWgfHN.jpg
Does that seem like a likely location from where the photo was taken?

Picture might have been taken during the time it was commissioned or when it was being built. So 58-61 matching up with pier 2 being built in 58. The Navy Yard isn't in the shot, so probably just wanted a pic of the area.

Who did the box belong to? You have to include all pertinent information!

Last edited:
I would say c. late 1940s, owing to the prominent Brooklyn navy yard producing actual ships and having traffic.

Could be as late as the 50s.

no WTC, so definitely before the mid 60s.

Oh, this is definitely the very, very early 60s with that coin.

It couldn't have been taken from the shipyard as it is further down the river past the Manhattan Bridge.

I would guess it was taken from a helicopter or something. There are no buildings in the right area that are tall enough to get a picture from that angle.

Back