NXT vs. Lucha Underground

BJJ NINJA

Turtle Power
@Brown
Reaction score
Which of these awesome sports entertainment shows do you enjoy more?

I say sports entertainment because there is a difference between that and pro wrestling. I know pro wresting stuff usually gets wastelanded, but these are awesome, entertaining shows with production value, storylines, performers, and athletic performances.

In the world of sports entertainment, these 2 shows are becoming very impressive stand outs.

NXT

This is in essence, the training and developmental program for people who are trying to graduate to the big stage of WWE's Raw and Smackdown shows.

However, it has been developing into quite the impressive show itself. It's filled with young, talented performers who have been putting on quite an awesome show with their athleticism, charisma, and in ring technique.

Some would argue the NXT roster is more entertaining than the Raw and Smackdown shows, but whether they are or aren't, it just shows how much of an impact they're having on their fans.

It shows exclusively on the WWE network, with an hour long episode every week.

Lucha Underground

Lucha Underground has brought something very special to the world of sports entertainment.

Like NXT, they have a weekly 1 hour long show that takes place in a smaller facility. But while NXT follows a WWE production format, Lucha Underground uses tv show like acting, camera work, directed and scripted scenes to tell its storylines instead of the vignettes and promos that the WWE uses.

While watching it, it feels much like some kind of HBO tv show at times, which makes it very entertaining.

And while in the ring, expect to see some amazing "Lucha" performances. The wrestling is exhilarating to say the least. It airs on the El Rey network.

So which show do you like more? For me personally, it's hard for me to say. I love them both, but I think if I'd have to choose, I'd pick Lucha Underground. They're both pretty damn awesome though.

Lucha Underground was pretty awesome when I watched it. Reminded me of a Lucha novella. I need to catch it more often. I'm torn, as a Texan, Lucha Libre is my shit, but NXT has KENTA and I fucking love KENTA.

I haven't watched any WWE product in a while, but I have been watching Lucha UG and NJPW (my buddy and I got a subscription to their video service) so I'm going with Lucha.

Kenta is a boss though.

I haven't watched any WWE product in a while, but I have been watching Lucha UG and NJPW (my buddy and I got a subscription to their video service) so I'm going with Lucha.

Kenta is a boss though.

I've watched a few episodes of NJPW, it's pretty damn solid. I do find it less entertaining than the others though. Still good though.

Kenta is a boss though.

Whoa, what is this? Puroresu is my favorite.

Both are excellent. "Lucha Underground" is the wave of the future as far as how a wrestling product is produced and stories are told in cinematic style. It is difficult to watch though (impossible in Canada, without pirating), but NXT is quickly turning into the US' super indy. Though, they rushed Owens up to the main roster, as well as Banks/Lynch, and my guess is Balor's next. So eventually, it seems like the NXT roster will be depleted unless they keep signing top independent names.

Watching the NJPW G-1 Climax at the moment though, and can honestly say that Okada, Tanahashi, Nakamura, Ibushi, Styles, and Naito are on a separate level than any wrestler in North America.

Whoa, what is this? Puroresu is my favorite.
http://www.njpwworld.com/

Literally watching NJPW right now.

B9EJ__ZCIAA7CmR.jpg

This belongs in the Wasteland.

Put me in for Lucha Underground. I like the "novela" style they use for the show, it's different. I'm also more familiar with the wrestlers since I used to watch AAA and CMLL when I was younger. It also has some WWE guys I recognize, John Morrison, Ezekiel Jackson, and Chavo Guerrero. Only guys from NXT I'm familiar with are Samoa Joe, Rhyno, and Finn Balor. I can see why people like NXT though, I would say it's better than Raw. I'm glad NXT broke away from that "game-show" shit.

With that said, Sexy Star is GOAT
506d2bbd20sexy-starr.jpg

Why the hell dont none of you people post in the rasslin thread?
I was in there carrying the banner for Lucha Underground all year long by myself
Everything about LU is dope as hell but the Vampiro storyline was frickin awesome and I loved the payoff at Ultima Lucha

So, do you mean as far as being a tv show or for the wrestling itself.

Actually, I'd have to go with Lucha Underground for both. Although I do think LU could use a lot more polish as far as its backstage / drama bits (as much as I like those parts, sometimes it really does feel amateurish), the overall entertainment value is higher there for me than with NXT.

Plus, the in-ring stuff ... not always better than NXT, but I'd say more often than not. Plus, the best of what LU has to offer blows away the best that NXT has to offer. Not saying the performers are better in LU tho ... I think if some NXT / WWE folks were able to cut completely loose of the WWE model, they could have much, much better rasslin' matches. not saying it's inherently a bad thing, just saying

One problem I have with LU is that its one the El Rey network, which isn't in HD on my cable programming. Why do standard def channels even still exist nowadays?

Never watched Lucha Underground. Sounds quality though. I'll get round to it

Never watched Lucha Underground. Sounds quality though. I'll get round to it

If you want a random match to check out to see what Lucha Underground is like, check out Johnny Mundo vs. Prince Puma in their iron man match (they call it an all night long match). One of the best matches I've ever seen.

I love how Lucha Underground reminds me of video game storylines. The ending to Ultima Lucha was like the cont8nuing story in Tekken. Riccochet/Prince Puma is my favorite wrestler right now. As much as id love to see him in WWE, he's a major player in Lucha Underground.

I love how Lucha Underground reminds me of video game storylines. The ending to Ultima Lucha was like the cont8nuing story in Tekken. Riccochet/Prince Puma is my favorite wrestler right now. As much as id love to see him in WWE, he's a major player in Lucha Underground.

Word. I like to describe pro rasslin' as like a live-action comic book. You have men and women in spandex performing superhuman feats of strength and agility. Lucha Underground really runs with that idea (although I think sometimes they got a bit too far into cartoony territory with their backstage segments, like implying Drago / Aerostar can actually fly ... lol).

Oh and something they did which I really loved, that I'm not sure everyone caught. Very early on around when Cage debuted (either shortly before or after) they did some vignettes, with one of him beating up some random dudes in a parking lot or something. One of them breaks a bottle over his head and he completely no-sells it. Then in the season finale months later in a match, someone hits him in the head with a bottle and he no-sells it.

Anyway, yeah ... I really think Ricochet / Prince Puma is one of the best damn rasslers on the planet. During a couple of his LU matches I even thought he was definitely the absolute best.

My two favorite rasslers in Lucha in a falls count anywhere match
Shit was insane

My two favorite rasslers in Lucha in a falls count anywhere match
Shit was insane

Aw I loved that match, Mac is quickly becoming one of my favorites on the show. That stunner he did midway was great.

Back