Nutritional Cardiology 101

No, now I'm much more clear about your intent. That's a reasonable request, I think, Terumo.

I'm interested to know myself because, as it stands, my mother gets the Smart Balance in tubs. If there are other tubs that have a better overall profile, I'd like to know where I can reference that, so I can get them.

But yeah, I guess I should just use butter, anyway, but then, not at all.

"Some grain products are the most unhealthful things that we can be consuming. The general public does not understand this."

What grains would this be ?

BoxingFanNoMore said:
Obviously, he must have seen some sort of data somewhere if he can make the argument that stick margarine has the same total trans fat than tub margarine.

I would assume one just doesnt wake up with that kind of information. So where is it, thats all I am asking for, if the USDA's information is incomplete, where is the complete information.

Is that to much to ask for?

Today is a busy day, and it will take some time to dig up that information, but I can get it. I'm probably running a Bradford assay today--wouldn't hurt to throw in a cuvette or two of margarine, would it? Haha.

No, I'm not kidding.

By the way, I'm not saying that you are at a first grade math level, BFNM. I am simply saying that one can derive the statement I was making via simple arithmetic.

One last thing... The label you showed for the Land O' Lakes margarine was completely dissimilar from that which I saw at the store. That doesn't really surprise me, considering the variability of things on the Internet.

Benji Snap said:
"Some grain products are the most unhealthful things that we can be consuming. The general public does not understand this."

What grains would this be ?

Cake is a grain product. So is cornmeal, corn syrup, and almost any bread. Perhaps I went a bit overboard with that statement, if you want to be picky. Refined grain products are certainly healthier than eating a vial of Salmonella...

BFNM, Madmick:

I cannot find literature that links the FDA regulation of trans fats to free fatty acids only. I don't really think that there needs to be a source for this, solely because there is essentially no reason to list bound fats. There never has been. Let me try to explain my basis for saying what I have said thus far.

The problem with the manufacturing process of margarine is not only the inclusion of partially hydrogenated oils, but the additional emulsifiers that are used in the process, primarily NaOH. A strongly basic emulsifier will not only partially cleave and hydrogenate double bonds, but it will also allow for the addition of peptide and glycosidic bonds. This means that there is great likelihood that these foods contain x grams of free trans fats, but likewise, they also contain y grams of trans fats that are bound in the forms of proteolipids and glycolipids. These do not count in the total trans fat quantification. Here is why... Hydrolytic extraction gas chromatography only measures with respect to the capillary that is being used at the time. Hence, you cannot measure free and bound fatty acids from the same sample by this method.

However, using UV-visible spectroscopy, multiple absorbance peaks can be obtained. By this method, one can measure the amount of trans fats that are free, bound to lipids, and bound to glycosidic molecules. This is exactly what I intend to do because, well, I don't think much of the FDA's method. BFNM, there is a chance that I am wrong in my hypothesis. I admit that. However, I think that is unlikely, so I'm going to run a UV-vis tomorrow that measures these things in a few different products.

I'm going to grocery today, and here is my shopping list:
Smart Balance Buttery Spread
Parkay Margarine (stick)
Parkay Margarine (spread)
Land O' Lakes Fresh Buttery Taste Margarine (stick)
Land O' Lakes Fresh Buttery Taste Margarine (spread)
Fleishmann's Olive Oil Spread

Anyone else have anything they want thrown in there?

wow, I'm going to have to sit down and read through all of this when I get a chance and see if I can make heads or tails from it.

Thanks for the info and thread starting terumo.
I also enjoy the testing some people make of such threads. I don't say that to dig or anything, you get to see things from a different angle and hence see more then if you were looking at it from one POV

If anyone is interested, here is an outline of the testing procedure and background of trans fat. This is straight from the developer of the AOAC International method 996.06, Medallion Laboratories a division of General Mills.

(Warning .pdf document 108 kb)

Trans-Fatty Acids and Labeling

Which literally the second sentence begins

The Federal Register in 1993 (1) published regulations relevant to the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act (NLEA) of 1990 requiring the nutrition labeling on foods that are regulated by United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Department of Agriculture (USDA). Under NLEA, fat consists of fatty acids, which are present as either free fatty acid, or are esterified in a variety of forms, such as mono-, di-, or triglycerides, phospholipids, or glycolipids.

Later it says,

All fatty acids with an isolated trans double bond are summed for total trans fat as defined by the regulations.

So, maybe now you can see why I am confused when Terumo says the FDA only tests for free fatty acids.

Yeah, I'm confused too, are you sure they don't use the UV-method already, Terumo?

I believe what you say about chromatography and UV analysis, but BFN's legal language there appears pretty black and white to me.

Except that second part, didn't Terumo write that the additional fatty acids would "partially cleave" the bonds, not isolate them? Perhaps this is nonsensical, I get confused with chemistry language when there isn't an actual diagram of molecules in front of me to go with it.

But it won't matter, anyway, to clarify that, since Terumo is doing the UV spectralysis tomorrow.

Terumo, add:

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (Either the 37% of 70% Vegetable Oil versions, I don't care, why not both?)

(1) If you are a smoker, stop. This could be the single, most effective action a person can take to avoid cardiac disease.

You need to be more specific. Smoker of what? Cigarettes? Weed? Or are you referring to my participation in muay thai smokers? I never realized that doing muay thai would give me cardiac disease.

TERRIBLE POST, generally laced with antispecific subinformation, full of dark angles.

PS: It's been two years already and homocysteine still <<<< cholesterol. Only 8 years to go, better hope your theory holds.

TERRIBLE POST, generally laced with antispecific subinformation, full of dark angles.

HA HA HA HA!! Dark angles. That damn Rjkd12 and his parrallelograms.

Wow, a Terumo post pulled from the depths of hell. Nice find, DS.

I really need to start checking thread dates. I got halfway through the first page before I realized this thread seemed familiar for a reason.

holy shit terumo if you werent in the states i would swear your my bio teacher you just taught everyone on sherdog what i learned on friday haha, btw you should feel good for you PSA on cardiac health , your doing your part in stopping one of the leading causes of death in N.America, touche!

On a sidenote, it appears that further studies indicate that the bio-availability of omega-3 fats in flax oil is not so good. I'll post the reference tomorrow as I left it at work.

On a sidenote, it appears that further studies indicate that the bio-availability of omega-3 fats in flax oil is not so good. I'll post the reference tomorrow as I left it at work.

Funny, I just read something from Lyle McDonald yesterday that said the same thing.

So Terumo or anyone, can you get bloodwork done and get it checked to see what your homocysteine levels are? Since Cholestrol and LDL are bad indicators of your cardiac health how do you quantify your cardiac health? MM, I know you just got your blood tested. How would knowing your IDL or VLDL be beneficial?

Edit: O damm forgot to check the post date lol. Well any input would be great.
P.S. Who the hell is BoxingFanNoMore. That guy is nitpicking the smallest thing.

So Terumo or anyone, can you get bloodwork done and get it checked to see what your homocysteine levels are? Since Cholestrol and LDL are bad indicators of your cardiac health how do you quantify your cardiac health?

Great question. Knowing what we know about cholesterol and the completely weak link to CVD, almost all the values are worthless; I don't know if they even use blood serum homocysteine levels in gauging CVD risk.

MM, I know you just got your blood tested. How would knowing your IDL or VLDL be beneficial?

It's a more accurate value as an indicator of overall CVD risk; you can have two people with elevated LDL, and only one will develop cardiovascular disease. There's actually 7 different subclasses of LDL, based on size and density; VLDL being the smallest and most dense. As a visual analogy, think of VLDL as small bits of sand, and LDL as large fluffy balloons.

VLDL and IDL are more atherogenic based on three theories: 1) smaller LDL particles can more easily infiltrate damaged areas of an artery wall and form plaques, 2) smaller, dense LDL particles stay in the blood stream longer than large, fluffy LDL, therefore they have more opportunity to initiate more damage, and 3) VLDL and IDL oxides more easily. The .pdf that Xtrainer posted explains this nicely, and I touch on it in the fish oil guide.. Personally, this one makes the most sense to me, as the link between CVD and inflammation is rock solid, but the link between CVD and (total)cholesterol levels is laughable at best.

The fucked up thing is, we've been able to test for the various subclasses of LDL for well over 20 years:

<dl class="AbstractPlusReport"><dt class="head">Circulation. 1981 Dec;64(6):1174-84.<script language="**********1.2"><!-- var Menu7296792 = [ ["UseLocalConfig", "jsmenu3Config", "", ""], ["Compound (MeSH Keyword)" , "window.top.location='/sites/entrez?Db=pccompound&DbFrom=pubmed&Cmd=Link&LinkName=pubmed_pccompound_mesh&LinkReadableName=Compound%20(MeSH%20Keyword)&IdsFromResult=7296792&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus' ", "", ""], ["Substance (MeSH Keyword)" , "window.top.location='/sites/entrez?Db=pcsubstance&DbFrom=pubmed&Cmd=Link&LinkName=pubmed_pcsubstance_mesh&LinkReadableName=Substance%20(MeSH%20Keyword)&IdsFromResult=7296792&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus' ", "", ""], ["Cited in PMC" , "window.top.location='http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/tocrender.fcgi?action=cited&tool=pubmed&pubmedid=7296792&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus&ordinalpos=1' ", "", ""], ["LinkOut", "window.top.location='/sites/entrez?Cmd=ShowLinkOut&Db=pubmed&TermToSearch=7296792&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus' ", "", ""] ] --></script>Links
</dt><dd class="abstract"> Intermediate-density lipoprotein and cholesterol-rich very low density lipoprotein in angiographically determined coronary artery disease.

<!--AuthorList-->Tatami R, Mabuchi H, Ueda K, Ueda R, Haba T, Ka****ni T, Ito S, Koizumi J, Ohta M, Miyamoto S, Nakayama A, Kanaya H, Oiwake H, Genda A, Takeda R.
The relationship between the concentrations of intermediate-density lipoprotein (IDL) and other lipoproteins and the extent of coronary artery disease (CAD) was studied in 182 consecutive patients evaluated by selective coronary cineangiography. On univariate analysis, the extent of CAD correlated significantly and positively with very low density lipoprotein (VLDL) cholesterol, IDL cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and negatively with high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. Analysis of four subgroups divided by IDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels indicated that moderately increased levels of IDL cholesterol were closely associated with a high frequency of CAD. Moreover, multi-variate regression analysis demonstrated that IDL cholesterol for men, LDL cholesterol for men and women and HDL cholesterol for men were significant variables of use in the final weighting procedure. IDL cholesterol was closely associated with cholesterol-rich VLDL. This study shows that IDL and cholesterol-rich VLDL combine to contribute to the development of CAD.
</dd></dl>

Edit: O damm forgot to check the post date lol. Well any input would be great.
P.S. Who the hell is BoxingFanNoMore. That guy is nitpicking the smallest thing.

Old thread, but a classic. BFNM was an elite poster here, as well as Terumo. Learned alot from those guys.

Great question. Knowing what we know about cholesterol and the completely weak link to CVD, almost all the values are worthless; I don't know if they even use blood serum homocysteine levels in gauging CVD risk.

It's a more accurate value as an indicator of overall CVD risk; you can have two people with elevated LDL, and only one will develop cardiovascular disease. There's actually 7 different subclasses of LDL, based on size and density; VLDL being the smallest and most dense. As a visual analogy, think of VLDL as small bits of sand, and LDL as large fluffy balloons.

VLDL and IDL are more atherogenic based on three theories: 1) smaller LDL particles can more easily infiltrate damaged areas of an artery wall and form plaques, 2) smaller, dense LDL particles stay in the blood stream longer than large, fluffy LDL, therefore they have more opportunity to initiate more damage, and 3) VLDL and IDL oxides more easily. The .pdf that Xtrainer posted explains this nicely, and I touch on it in the fish oil guide.. Personally, this one makes the most sense to me, as the link between CVD and inflammation is rock solid, but the link between CVD and (total)cholesterol levels is laughable at best.

The fucked up thing is, we've been able to test for the various subclasses of LDL for well over 20 years:

<dl class="AbstractPlusReport"><dt class="head">Circulation. 1981 Dec;64(6):1174-84.<script language="**********1.2"><!-- var Menu7296792 = [ ["UseLocalConfig", "jsmenu3Config", "", ""], ["Compound (MeSH Keyword)" , "window.top.location='/sites/entrez?Db=pccompound&DbFrom=pubmed&Cmd=Link&LinkName=pubmed_pccompound_mesh&LinkReadableName=Compound%20(MeSH%20Keyword)&IdsFromResult=7296792&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus' ", "", ""], ["Substance (MeSH Keyword)" , "window.top.location='/sites/entrez?Db=pcsubstance&DbFrom=pubmed&Cmd=Link&LinkName=pubmed_pcsubstance_mesh&LinkReadableName=Substance%20(MeSH%20Keyword)&IdsFromResult=7296792&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus' ", "", ""], ["Cited in PMC" , "window.top.location='http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/tocrender.fcgi?action=cited&tool=pubmed&pubmedid=7296792&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus&ordinalpos=1' ", "", ""], ["LinkOut", "window.top.location='/sites/entrez?Cmd=ShowLinkOut&Db=pubmed&TermToSearch=7296792&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus' ", "", ""] ] --></script>Links
</dt><dd class="abstract"> Intermediate-density lipoprotein and cholesterol-rich very low density lipoprotein in angiographically determined coronary artery disease.

<!--AuthorList-->Tatami R, Mabuchi H, Ueda K, Ueda R, Haba T, Ka****ni T, Ito S, Koizumi J, Ohta M, Miyamoto S, Nakayama A, Kanaya H, Oiwake H, Genda A, Takeda R.
The relationship between the concentrations of intermediate-density lipoprotein (IDL) and other lipoproteins and the extent of coronary artery disease (CAD) was studied in 182 consecutive patients evaluated by selective coronary cineangiography. On univariate analysis, the extent of CAD correlated significantly and positively with very low density lipoprotein (VLDL) cholesterol, IDL cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and negatively with high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. Analysis of four subgroups divided by IDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels indicated that moderately increased levels of IDL cholesterol were closely associated with a high frequency of CAD. Moreover, multi-variate regression analysis demonstrated that IDL cholesterol for men, LDL cholesterol for men and women and HDL cholesterol for men were significant variables of use in the final weighting procedure. IDL cholesterol was closely associated with cholesterol-rich VLDL. This study shows that IDL and cholesterol-rich VLDL combine to contribute to the development of CAD.
</dd></dl>

Old thread, but a classic. BFNM was an elite poster here, as well as Terumo. Learned alot from those guys.

Awesome so basically, IDL and VLDL are better indicators than LDL/HDL but we can only look at LDL/HDL? Was Terumo saying that homoscysteine levels would be the most accurate indicators? Why is the common consensus that cholestrol is the gold indicator of CVD? I mean typical doctors have vasts amounts of education. They have to understand this better than anyone yet doctors only talk about cholestrol levels?

On a side note, Damm why doesn't Terumo or BoxingFanNoMore post anymore? These people sound exceptionally knowledgeable about nutrition. It seems like they had better threads back in the day. Nobody posts this kind of stuff anymore.

Back