Nutrition and the CNS

!!! Hmm. Well when something is too good to be true, it generally is. From what little reading I've done on PS, seems like it "used" to be sourced from bovine brains. I can't see that happening nowadays with BSE being rampant.

Now I'm curious as fuck where they get it from. lol.

I take CVS brand lecithin softgels. They derive it from soy.

Also, it has the PS breakdown on it.

Soy Lecithin - 1,200 mg
61% Phosphatides - 732 mg
Phosphatidylcholine - 180 mg
Phosphatatidylinositol - 108 mg
Other - 444 mg

I take usually 3-5 of these a day. Usually split into 2-3 doses. I also take 1.5g GABA with my first dose, and 750 mg GABA with each dose after. These are both new supplements for me and the dosage really isn't all that calculated (just based on some dosages I've seen others using). Just experimenting. I'll be buying piracetam soon as well.

Soy Lecithin - 1,200 mg
Other - 444 mg

I take usually 3-5 of these a day. Usually split into 2-3 doses. I also take 1.5g GABA with my first dose, and 750 mg GABA with each dose after. These are both new supplements for me and the dosage really isn't all that calculated (just based on some dosages I've seen others using). Just experimenting. I'll be buying piracetam soon as well.

Interesting. I shot an email to NOW questioning them on the PS content of their lecithin, and the response was basically "negligible". I'm still on the lookout for a good PS product, and in the meantime I'm still using lecithin as a prweWO staple.

Why are you using GABA at times other than right before sleeping?

Interesting. I shot an email to NOW questioning them on the PS content of their lecithin, and the response was basically "negligible". I'm still on the lookout for a good PS product, and in the meantime I'm still using lecithin as a prweWO staple.

Why are you using GABA at times other than right before sleeping?

I'd keep an eye out at CVS if you have one close to you. Usually they alternate weekly their supplements, to where one brand is always by one, get one free. 250 count soy lecithin I use is regularly $10 a bottle. So BOGO, 500 pills for $10 is a mighty good deal.

I take GABA throughout the day, because articles I've read regarding using GABA as a neuro-stimulant recommended taking 2-5g/day and anything over 1.5g gives a lot of people a paraesthesia feeling, similar to beta-alanine around the face and neck. As well as awkward inconsistency in breathing patterns and heart rate.

If I take the whole dose at bedtime, I actually feel almost like I've taken 60-90mg of pseudoephedrine for about 20-30 minutes (elevated heart rate, and changes in breathing patterns) before I actually calm down and can fall asleep. So I went ahead and split it throughout the day. I only take 750 mg 45 minutes before bed.

Edit: I was first referenced to GABA in someone's nootropic thread here. I don't remember which one. If I come across any information on the subject, I'll be sure to post it. I bet Vedic has some information on some uses of GABA, other than relaxation.

I spoke with the pharmacist at work the other day, and told her I was experimenting with it. She asked me if I had a history of seizures :D. Apparently Gabapentin, the epilepsy medication, was accidentally synthesized when scientists were trying to make a synthetic version of gamma aminobutyric acid.

Taking it as a neuro-stimulant? It causes neural inhibition, hence the reason it's used at bedtime. Interesting anecdote on the gabapentin, I didn't know that.

Perhaps it's dose dependent; When I've gone above 1g at bedtime, it's caused insomnia with me. I thought I was just hypersensitive to it.

I don't know. I guess it is supposed to have some sort of a rebound effect after the fact.

To be honest, I'm totally numb to the science behind it. I'm just going to take it for a month and see what happens..

Perhaps it's dose dependent; When I've gone above 1g at bedtime, it's caused insomnia with me. I thought I was just hypersensitive to it.
That is basically how I feel when I take it in too high doses as well. The changes in breathing patterns are especially uncomfortable.

I'm waiting until I get scheduled with the head pharmacist so I can discuss it with her. Unluckily, since my shipment came in last week I haven't had one day that I've been scheduled and she's been working. She is supposed to be there on Saturday, so I'll be sure to pick her brain.

Edit: I just took 2.25g when I made my first post in this thread like 40 minutes ago. Now I feel like someone just punched me in the chest :D

Taking it as a neuro-stimulant? It causes neural inhibition, hence the reason it's used at bedtime. Interesting anecdote on the gabapentin, I didn't know that.

Thats why i use gaba. A teaspoon is enough for me

Soy Lecithin - 1,200 mg
Other - 444 mg

I was reading funnily enough about acetyl choline compounds (as vedic suggested a few posts ago) in the economist. It was talking about scientists trying to produce compounds to prevent the deterioration of acetyl choline in the brain through age.

I'm going to try when I have some cash piracetam, ACL and PS and see what happens.

Brief update: So far I added Gaba to my nighttime ZMA and I feel that my sleep quality has improved over taking ZMA alone. It is difficult to assess after just two weeks, but I appear to wake up later in the night (usually around 5ish as opposed to 3ish under ZMA only) and have little difficulties going back to sleep. Currently I am taking around 300-500mg (1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon). I took GABA without ZMA three times and I slept poorly.

I need to stop looking up new things.

Anyone heard of Idebenone ?

I need to stop looking up new things.

Anyone heard of Idebenone ?

I was talking with the pharmacist about CoQ10 the other day and Idebenone came up. From what I understood, it is basically a waste of money. It is similar to CoQ10, but without the nasty side effect that over-taking CoQ10 can have, where it actually does the opposite of what it is supposed to.

The stuff is like 4x more expensive than Co Enzyme Q10. She basically said you just have to take only how much CoQ10 you need and there is nothing to worry about with taking it. Which I guess is ~50mg/day or less, unless you are on statin drugs or similar.

edit: After doing some research, it seems our discussion may have been a little outdated. There are a lot of claims of other benefits of Idebenone, but I can't really find any unbiased sources. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

I was talking with the pharmacist about CoQ10 the other day and Idebenone came up. From what I understood, it is basically a waste of money. It is similar to CoQ10, but without the nasty side effect that over-taking CoQ10 can have, where it actually does the opposite of what it is supposed to.

The stuff is like 4x more expensive than Co Enzyme Q10. She basically said you just have to take only how much CoQ10 you need and there is nothing to worry about with taking it. Which I guess is ~50mg/day or less, unless you are on statin drugs or similar.

edit: After doing some research, it seems our discussion may have been a little outdated. There are a lot of claims of other benefits of Idebenone, but I can't really find any unbiased sources. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

What I read was that it could provide better effects then that of CoQ10 but not everything CoQ10 could provide and vica versa to idebenone. So the suggestion was to take both :)icon_cry2)

Was the chat with the pharmacist in regards to mental clarity/nootropic or something else?
I thought CoQ10 was used to help with overal energy and well being?

On a side note- I have learned what a smidgen and drop in regards to ml is, and the fact that you can get spoons of those sizes. Wish I knew that before I got those digital scales

What I read was that it could provide better effects then that of CoQ10 but not everything CoQ10 could provide and vica versa to idebenone. So the suggestion was to take both :)icon_cry2)

Was the chat with the pharmacist in regards to mental clarity/nootropic or something else?
I thought CoQ10 was used to help with overal energy and well being?

On a side note- I have learned what a smidgen and drop in regards to ml is, and the fact that you can get spoons of those sizes. Wish I knew that before I got those digital scales

A smidgen and a drop in ml isn't consistent. It is dependent on the density and viscosity of the liquid, as well as the dropper itself. Usually eye and ear drops and such have a marker on them to determine drops/ml. I think normally it is between 9 and 20 drops per ml.

The chat was mostly on the effects of them for heart health and general use as an antioxidant. That is why I think our discussion was outdated, everything I'm reading online says idebenone functions as a potent antioxidant that supports brain health, and has no real relation to CoQ10, only in the potency of them as antioxidants.

I really don't understand why it is that one antioxidant is good for the brain, while others are good for the heart or skeletal muscle. Maybe I need to do some reading into antioxidants. I would be reluctant to start taking expensive antioxidants that are touted for specific tasks without knowing more on the subject. It is my understanding that not all antioxidants are created equal, and we need a plethora of different ones to properly prevent oxidation. Hopefully someone can come along with something useful. In the meantime I'm going to read wikipedia :D

A smidgen and a drop in ml isn't consistent. It is dependent on the density and viscosity of the liquid, as well as the dropper itself. Usually eye and ear drops and such have a marker on them to determine drops/ml. I think normally it is between 9 and 20 drops per ml.

The chat was mostly on the effects of them for heart health and general use as an antioxidant. That is why I think our discussion was outdated, everything I'm reading online says idebenone functions as a potent antioxidant that supports brain health, and has no real relation to CoQ10, only in the potency of them as antioxidants.

I really don't understand why it is that one antioxidant is good for the brain, while others are good for the heart or skeletal muscle. Maybe I need to do some reading into antioxidants. I would be reluctant to start taking expensive antioxidants that are touted for specific tasks without knowing more on the subject. It is my understanding that not all antioxidants are created equal, and we need a plethora of different ones to properly prevent oxidation. Hopefully someone can come along with something useful. In the meantime I'm going to read wikipedia :D

I know you big silly.
Thats why I know either the densities of the powders I use, or like BN the amount per 1/4 teaspoon, hence from the ml capacity of a single teaspoon I can calculate the amount of mass on a drop measuring device (but there's going to be atleast 5-10% deviation if the powder used is charged which can happen at to powders especially at such a small dosage- for exampe caffeine is around abouts 550 mg per 1/4, so approximately 3.4 mg in 0.0925 ml

I sh9ould really spend some time reading wiki as well :icon_cry2

edit- you can get 'drop', 'smidgen', 'tad' and 'drop' measuring spoons.

I know you big silly.
Thats why I know either the densities of the powders I use, or like BN the amount per 1/4 teaspoon, hence from the ml capacity of a single teaspoon I can calculate the amount of mass on a drop measuring device (but there's going to be atleast 5-10% deviation if the powder used is charged which can happen at to powders especially at such a small dosage- for exampe caffeine is around abouts 550 mg per 1/4, so approximately 3.4 mg in 0.0925 ml

I sh9ould really spend some time reading wiki as well :icon_cry2

edit- you can get 'drop', 'smidgen', 'tad' and 'drop' measuring spoons.

I'm curious now, what is it that you're taking that requires such small doses? Sounds like something I'd want to try.

I also love how bulk nutrition has the amount per 1/4 tsp on their powders. It is really convenient. Especially considering my capsules fit almost exactly a 1/4 teaspoon in each one.

I can't wait til next month when I can afford to buy some piracetam from them :)

I'm curious now, what is it that you're taking that requires such small doses? Sounds like something I'd want to try.

I also love how bulk nutrition has the amount per 1/4 tsp on their powders. It is really convenient. Especially considering my capsules fit almost exactly a 1/4 teaspoon in each one.

I can't wait til next month when I can afford to buy some piracetam from them :)

Na, its just for yohimbine HCL (dirt cheap in powder form). you need 5mg doses and do you now how hard it is to find scales that accurate? I bought some digi scales down to 10mg, so i thought great, I'll just guestimate half. The scale got stuck which I didn't notice until I had done a few dozen batches of hcl and caffeine, so I took one later that week and....well, I think they have 10's of mgs (maybe 30 or 40 mg) in them. I felt odd to say the least.
From looking at densities 1/64 of a teaspoon is 3.4 mg give or take, but if it gets charged that could be a problem, but less so then bloody 40mg. Therefore its always good to have something kicking about that can measure that low.
The scales were from the UK about $45 total, I'm getting some spoons off ebay for $10 inc. p&p from the US.

I have a long shopping list regarding nootropics. Its just hard to work out what would be a waste of money and what wouldn't. You think somethings a good bet, then a few people will say it didn't work for them (for them being the key part of that sentance) and it makes you doubt it (and even more so for me, p&p from the US is a bitch)

Back