Nunes: Valentina should prove herself

She's gonna have to wait for a long time though. Doubt she'll be returning soon, if she has any plans to return at all.
She absolutely is returning. The UFC purchase was predicated upon long term plans that WME had for her. She [along with Conor] were the primary bargaining chips in this deal. Did you not notice all the new Ronda ads during the Fox broadcast? They are building a new narrative for her and have plans to cash in big for the return.

Like it or not, we are going to be saturated with obnoxious Ronda media in the upcoming months.

I see a lot of people saying this but the fact is their fight wasn't 5 rounds. People train and pace themselves differently when they know a fight is 5 rounds vs 3.

Sure Shevchenko looked better in round 3 of their fight but Nunes knew she was ahead and got the decision. Nunes/Shevchenko may turn out to be like Gadhelha/JJ but taking her in to the late rounds was apparently Tate's strategy too. If that's your strategy you best make sure the fight even gets there.

You're not wrong. At the end of the day, we are all just speculating here. Valentina already showed she can make it out of the early rounds with Nunes and was the stronger fighter in the end. My money is on Valentina the longer the fight goes.

You're not wrong. At the end of the day, we are all just speculating here. Valentina already showed she can make it out of the early rounds with Nunes and was the stronger fighter in the end. My money is on Valentina the longer the fight goes.

I get that and that's fair. I'm talking about all the people who KNOW Valentina would have won their last fight if it had been 5 rounds. That's just silly. The fact that it wasn't 5 rounds and people fight and train differently for 5 rounds seems to escape them.
I'm not saying it couldn't happen like that. it's how Gadelha vs JJ went, after all. It's just we see so many decisions where someone dominates the first two rounds (like Nunes did against Shevchenko) then coast to a decision in round 3. I think people are making too much of it and it was only one fight ago for both of them.

Last edited:
I get that and that's fair. I'm talking about all the people who KNOW Valentina would have won their last fight if it had been 5 rounds. That's just silly. The fact that it wasn't 5 rounds and people fight and train differently for 5 rounds seems to escape them.
I'm not saying it couldn't happen like that. it's how Gadelha vs JJ went, after all. It's just wee just see so many decisions where someone dominates the first two rounds (like Nunes did against Shevchenko) then coast to a decision in round 3. I think people are making too much of it and it was only one fight ago for both of them.

I'll make statements like that sometimes. But that's just how fans talk. I'll be the first to admit we (I) don't know shit.

One of the differences between this fight and Claudia/JJ, is that it's Nunes and not Valentina with the perceived cardio issue. Whereas coming off of a contested loss, Claudia had the cardio issue in a 5 round fight against JJ.

Shevchenko or Holm would be a fantastic fight for fans, and both very tough fights for Nunes, and Nunes is well aware of that.

I'm sure she'd much rather give Meisha a rematch.

As an immigrant and English second language myself, I give her props for trying--it's tough. I remember when I wasn't fluent.

It's not the accent or the broken English or anything to do with how she's saying it, it's what she's saying. I do like that she's trying though.

Nunes knows Pena and Shevchenko can take her past the first round. In Nunes' world, going past the first round= loss. She's like Conor, if she doesn't get the early knockout, she's in trouble.

I don' see anything wrong with what Amanda said. Valentina is on a whopping 1 fight win streak and her previous win was a split decision.

Yes, but everyone is hanging their hats on "Shevchenko would have won if the fight was 5 rounds". It's silly because it wasn't 5 rounds. How many fights do we see on every card where someone wins rds 1-2 and then take their foot off the gas knowing they have the decision in the bag? Lots.
barboza did it last night

barboza did it last night

Yup. I was thinking more of guys who win rds 1-2 then coast and lose rd 3. We see that happen all the time too. Melendez was in no condition to take advantage of Barboza

Back