Nunes: Valentina should prove herself

http://m.sherdog.com/news/news/Aman...a-Little-More-Before-Receiving-Rematch-108759

I'm not a fan of newly crowned champions deciding who is worthy/unworthy of a title shot. IMHO, Nunes would've lost against Valentina if the fight had been 5 rounds. Nunes knows this and is aware of her cardio deficiencies, as evident when she said she didn't want to let Tate get to the 2nd round.

Valentina should prove herself? She just beat a former champ and was looking better than Nunes towards the end of their fight. I sense some ducking already and she's only been champ for a couple of weeks.
That's clearly what she's doing, it's clear she cants just blitz Val on the feet like she did to Meisha.

Makes me appreciate the way holly was during her brief reign... Shame it didn't work out for her.

I feel Valentina should get a few more top 10 wins as well, even though she has the skills to be a champion right now. I hope Nunes doesn't get annoying with picking and choosing who gets a title shot, like Holly and Miesha did. If the UFC says she needs to fight so and so, then she should do it without complaint like a true champion does.

Betche much more deserving imo

quack

It is funny, I remember when fighters used to fight whoever Dana and Lorenzo told them to fight. Those were the days.

The UFC should do everything they can to get Valentina that belt so that they can launch the 125 division with a JJ/VS super fight.

485488.jpg

I feel Valentina should get a few more top 10 wins as well, even though she has the skills to be a champion right now. I hope Nunes doesn't get annoying with picking and choosing who gets a title shot, like Holly and Miesha did. If the UFC says she needs to fight so and so, then she should do it without complaint like a true champion does.

She'll likely jump ahead of Holm is the stupid rankings. No point in fighting someone ranked below her.

it is the fight to make right now, although I think Nunes has a point that she just beat Valentina.

Pena vs Tate
Holm vs Zingano
Nunes vs Shevchenko

unless one of them wants to fight Cyborg next...

The champ has to fight someone. I think Pena is next. Let Val get one more win against Tate or Zingano.

Holy crap! That was for Nunes when she returned w/ the belt? She's big time.

I think I see Paul Harris; he's underneath the duck, and he's salivating.
No that must have been when Nunes "ducked" one of her previous opponents.

didnt she just beat this girl?

http://m.sherdog.com/news/news/Aman...a-Little-More-Before-Receiving-Rematch-108759

I'm not a fan of newly crowned champions deciding who is worthy/unworthy of a title shot. IMHO, Nunes would've lost against Valentina if the fight had been 5 rounds. .

I see a lot of people saying this but the fact is their fight wasn't 5 rounds. People train and pace themselves differently when they know a fight is 5 rounds vs 3.

Sure Shevchenko looked better in round 3 of their fight but Nunes knew she was ahead and got the decision. Nunes/Shevchenko may turn out to be like Gadhelha/JJ but taking her in to the late rounds was apparently Tate's strategy too. If that's your strategy you best make sure the fight even gets there.

didnt she just beat this girl?

Yes, but everyone is hanging their hats on "Shevchenko would have won if the fight was 5 rounds". It's silly because it wasn't 5 rounds. How many fights do we see on every card where someone wins rds 1-2 and then take their foot off the gas knowing they have the decision in the bag? Lots.

Shevchenko vs. Rousey is what I want to see

My guess is Nunes wants Ronda because it's the money fight and she believes the easier fight.

I think Nunes is well aware of this.
She wants no part of her, imo. Masterfully dispatching a former Champion, who had a good bit of size on her. She knows her fate, should they meet again.

Not happy about her trying to cherry-pick her opponent, either. If she'd have said "I beat her once, and I'll finish her the next time; bring it on!" - that is an attitude I like to see in a fighter and I respect that more.

she's not ducking, you rubes. She's holding out for the $Money$ fight with the DNB [should she ever return].
She's gonna have to wait for a long time though. Doubt she'll be returning soon, if she has any plans to return at all.

Back